Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Annual trip coming up June 9, 2018

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Annual trip coming up June 9, 2018 Reply with quote

Our annual trek to Cass is coming up soon.
Any word from the Cass Lake Crazies?

Like, how was opener Grouch?

Any of you have trips planned?

Anyone hear how the fishing been so far?

We are antsy to see if our evening walleye slaughter continues from last year.

But what we really hope is that it is not too windy/wavy for our trip.

Good luck to all.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gene----good to hear your heading to Cass. Our normal group of 4 will be there the week ahead of you. as you probably know the ice out came later than usual this year,however recent 80 degree
temps have warm the water rather quickly. Recent post I have read say the walleye bite has started and is improving daily. Most bait shops have just got in thier first large suppy of spottail shiners. The guide that I read his post almost daily said that fathead minows are working just as good as shiners. Almost all action right now is with jig and minow in the 12 to 16 ft range. I was glad to read a post last night that said surprizingly walleyes are currantly biting fairly active during mid-day,calm water times on clear lakes including Cass. I also read that very shortly the crappie spawn will start. ALL indications are perdicting a good outlook on walleye and perch and crappie over the next 2 to 3 weeks. Sounds good for both of us. Was hoping Grouch was up for opener and looking for his report. Every one says due to clear water they recomend fishing early morning and late dusk. Hope we all have our share of good weather duri8ng our week, but no mater what mother nature brings I will still enjoy being on Cass!
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happened to look at BREAK ON THE LAKE webcam, and at 7;30 pm est it is 83 degees and sunshine on Cass lake. WOW
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few people left posting on this site but I still check in this time of year to see if there is anything new.

At any rate, I am headed up to Cass tomorrow morning for the week. Looking forward to a week of warm weather and good fishing. This is our annual trip and I will try to remember to report back when I return.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my old Illinois friend, Utah, (Lombard) Bob here. A friend from S. Chicago suburbs fished Cass/Kitchi on the opener and found very cold water and air temps. and slow Walleye fishing but great Northern Pike fishing. Naturally, they love cold water. He was able to bring a few Eyes and some Perch home to Florida where he lives now He and Col. Ron were on the IHP together many years ago. It does look like it should be much better for you in early June. We will be doing our annual trip there in late Aug. & Sept. again this year, God willing, but 77 winters have taken their toll but we're still doing great. I still focus on LMB and Walleye but am still pursuing one of Muskie Marks 48" Muskies I have had to the boat many times just to turn off inches away. I believe there's just too much forage for them at that time of the year. Maybe this will be my year. I do have a new trick up my sleeve. At any rate Gene, have a great trip, good fishing and fair weather. Bob
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well our June 1st to June 9th week of fishing Cass and a little time on Kitchi is over, and as usual went by way to quickly. The first 2 and one/half days were some rough fishing since there were 4 of us fishing from a 20 ft lund. We had to bobber fish most of the time and this is hard in bad weather. After the first 3 days we had only boated 6 walleyes. During the rest of the week the sea calmed down and we ended up boating 37 walleyes for the week. The largest being 21 1/2 inches. We also caught 2 more just over 20 inches. Rest were the good eating size 15 to 18 inches. 60 % were caught from 6 pm to 10 pm, and all on leech and spottail shiners.We could not find crappies or bluegills this year for some reason and only caught 2 of each. Gene will be there at a good time for healthy rockbass in my opinion. Looking forward to his post and hope his group has good weather and low winds. Eye Doc---when you get time would like to hear how your week went. All I can do know is think about next year on Cass and remember the great time we had this year,
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy-
We were up the week of Memorial Day and stayed on Kitchi at Lost Acres again this year. Walleye fishing for our group was very good. We caught and released 6 fish over 20" and the biggest of the week was 25.5". Most of the eyes were caught on leeches under a slip bobber. We also did well on bluegills as they were just starting to come into the shallows. However, we missed the crappie bite and only found a few small ones. Mainly fished on Kitchi for the week and only ventured out to Cass 2 times to try and find some perch. It seems the perch in Cass have less grubs than Kitchi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: