Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
my first day of my working vacation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: my first day of my working vacation Reply with quote

My first day of my working vacation.
Got up around 530 as i wanted to be to old minnesota at first lite. The red Barons rear breaks were frozen tight as a drum sO I spent over a hour getting them brokedn loose. When I pulled up to florida i was plesently surprised to see jr and sarah had landed a 10 and 13.1/2 inch crappie over night

I then spent a couple hours fishing for kellie's Glasses on the bottom of the lake and watching the new 007 movie. I did not retrieve her glasses but did end up retrieving my fishing rod after a fish took it from its holder.I then fired up blue thunder and went and moved montana to a fresh spot for justin and his buddie. After a short nap and lunch I went to look for a big patch of rough ice hoping I could find the mother load, i did find what i was looking for but the red baron got hung up in the process.That sulidified my scoutting and I now no wheer I want to search

After digging out of that fiasco I called it a day and headed to shore. Carriering to much speed in the red baron in 2 wheel drive the last corner at beacon harbors access I ended up loosing controll and buring the vplow and red baron into a 4 foot high snow bank. I did not take a pic though I should of
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jr and Sarah headed home wednesday after early dinner. They managed to catch one more of the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies. Kellie and I spent last night fishing in old minnesota. I lost track of how many wallye's we caught. It did not matter if your bait was a foot off the bottom they still came after are crappie offerings. The rattle wheels kept me up all night. A goofy 5 lb pike grabbed kellie's jig around 12;30 am. After a 3 minute battle I spent the next 10 minutes resetting all the lines.
Josh and josh arrived yesterday afteernoon. They hit it hard outside untell well after dark with nothing but pesky walleye . When they came back to montana Josh #1 dropped down a jig and had the first of the elusive upper red lake crappie for the day. There plan is to hit it hard the next two days looking for the crappie mother load.
My plan is to move old minnesota today and again try for a elusive upper red lake crappie tonight
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting day. I told my self to just keep moving the shacks down the middle of the road I made as it has produced a few of the elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappies. It is also so most cost effective on the trucks. But no not me I have to drop the v plow and cut another new trail. I hit a area of ice that was a little different. I then firied up blue thunder and proceeded to prep the new area for minnesota. Once i got the shack moved into its new spot i proceeded to bank it with the plow. Then to finish with the number two shovel I discover the reason the ice was different as this is where I plowed a spot for the delano firemen. The good news is they did get 6 of the elusive crappies there so it will be interesting to see if we pick up one or two.
Josh and Josh seem to be enjoying there stay and landed there second crappie out of montana.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just saw on facebook Josh landed a trophy 15 3/4 inch elusive yet still catchable upper red lake slab. That is just sweet[img][/img][img][/img][url][img][/img][/url]
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh and Josh hit the road today. They had a great trip and managed to land 6 crappies out of montana. Kellie and I plan on fishing old minnesota this week, Then I may have to think about pulling the houses home. With no more customers as of yet it only makes sense.
I can offer half off if anyone would like a chance at still catching a elusive upper red lake crappie. I'm thinking by next weekend if there none rented its time to come home.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 8 of my working vacation. Mother nature hit us with quite a bit of snow I measured 5 inches in one spot but it could be closer to 10.
Saturday I perticapated in a snowmoble ride in honor of one of the first members that helped establish the trails. The trip was over 120 miles. My machine broke down around 100 mile mark. It was alot of funn untell then. Marty was nice enough to tow me home. I think I blew up the motor. ouch the rocket may have nade her last ride
Kellie and I were planning on fishing last night but mother nature changed our plans. I will be spending the day cleaning up the main road and a couple side roads. I'll spend the rest of the week digging out the houses and moving them offf there spots rather then move all the drifts. Its just amazing how much snow drifts around objects out there and the wind was not even that strong.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I guess I've been a little busy. Opening up beacon Harbors road was a big job. It basicaly took two days as I had to help with chores at the farm, I hit a bump the second day and the red baron just stopped running and would not start. I figured I pulled a wire loose as I knew the ice was building up on the underside of red baron. Luck was with me and I found the unplug wire once I hammered off all the ice chunks . I learned another lesson to watch that ice build up better then I had. I was kicking myself at first but chalked it up to a good lesson.
The new spot I put old minnesota at has not produced a elusive upper red lake crappie. Kellie and I had dinner out there two nights in a row thursday and last night. We both lost quite a few fish and I tell Kellie that was a crappie. The walleyes are so pesky it frustrating even with a tiny crappie minnow 1 foot off the bottom.. We were also catching alot of little one 8 to 10 inches and in the past it seemed when you got those little ones you would also find crappies. I landed a couple pike over 30 inches and that again was a good sign there may be crappies around. I imagine I may move minnesota one more time before I throw in the towel.. There so much snow out there now that to chase crappies you need a sled . Deffintly a lot of good snowmobiling up here rigth now.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the average snow depth out there is 2 feet, I just can never let go of the season. I'm on my working vacation and enjoying my self. Kellie and I plan on doing some more fishing and having dinner in old minnesota on its new spot. I will be heading out in a bit with blue thunder to dig out california ,montana and florida. If any one comes up just give me a shout and I will plow a spot for you. No sense plowing any spots right now as there's no one calling or emailing. There is a couple guys out on deans abandon SE. road and they have one crappie so far.
Borch plan on bringing a extension if you do not want to dig down two feet of snow to get to the ice. I measured 31 and 30 inche's of ice a few days ago.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I started buy moving old minnesota. I had not moved a house with the red baron all year. Wow did I need blue thunder. I spent well over a hour digging away the frozen banking one shovel at a time. Difffintly worked up a sweat. I then said screw this I'm going home for blue thunder. On my way out for the evning fishing I first stopped at california and dug her out and pulled it to the edgo of the main road. next time I head towards shore california will be in tow.
Now the fishing report.Kelllie had to be at the town hall for the election so I had dinner out there by my self until she arrived around 9

pm. I did land a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie.

Its was a small scufffit 11 inches still nice to see. The walleye action was guite slow and we only managed a couple small perch. I will fish part of the day today while I dig out florida and montana. It sure whould be nice to get a couple late season fishermen up . I had two calls that never call backed other wise it has been quite. We both lost quite a few fish again and you always wonder was that a crappie, About the third walleye kellie caught she called it rotten walleyes
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last nights dinner in old minnesota

cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I are still fishing for the elusive upper red lake crappie. Last night we had another great dinner date while fishing in old minnesota.

The after math

Clancy,John and Jim are up to two elusive upper red lake crappies and I nice bucket of perch in there wheel house.
Tony and Mike rolled in this morning and are fishing old minnesota, I'll be headed out later and prep montana so they can have another house to fish in on a new spot. There two buddies will be up later today. I would like to move minnesota one more time for kellie and I . I sure would love to put her on a nice crappie this year as its been such a long time that she has caught one through the ice
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming off the lake with Kellie friday evenimg I got a call from tony. They were fishing another lake and battling the slush and wanted to know if I had a house. They arrived yesterday mornin g around 6am. Tony was surprised the charactor old minnesota has. heres a pic of Tony with a elusive upper red lake crappie

Tony ,mike, Mike and Kolt are have a grand time on a grand lake I also moved montana and set them up in there so they did not have to share a double bed They were nice enough to auger the holes. I'll be heading out soon to check in on them.I think there fishing tell noon unless somthing changed. Florida and California are now in front of beacon harbor with montana and minnesota to follow as I throw in the towel before this next snow storm.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Mike, Kolt and Tony ended up catching 4 crappies and kept one jumbo perch.

It would of been nice to keep a couple house out for a while as I think we were making ice yesterday morning when it was 28 below..I now have all 4 houses staged for the next move from beacon harbor to home. I'll have to watch the weather and decide when to get them out in front of our place.
kellie and I sure enjoyed the end of the season fishing. She was so mad at the walleyes it was almost funny. Then the guys get 3 out of minnesota the last evning on the lake. I'm not sure when I will go out fishing as the long range forcast does not look all that warm.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very bad day yesterday as I atttemped to vplow from beacons to the front of my place. It seemed to be going well and I kept stopping and backing up a letting the red baron cool down. The gauges all looked good so I kept pushing threw. I can not smell but when I saw smoke on the floor I new I was in trouble. I backed up got out and proceeded to try and put the fire out as the underside of the red baron was on fire. Not good. I popped open the hood to find more fire coming up the fire wall. The fire extingusier did not work so I prceeded to throw snow trying to get it out. I also starting grabbing any thing I could save as I thought she was going to burn to the ground. The good news it did not burn to the ground and the bad news as it does not look to good.The first step is to get it home
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty darn quiet around here as of late. Last time I checked my houses no one has driven down beacons road since the last snow fall. I had planned more fishing but untell I get my houses home I have no desire to go out there.
I did get the dodge prospector running but I have to use a jumper wire as the ignition switch is not working? The snow has settled quite a bit but still to much to just drive through. From the looks of it there almost done with the channel in front of the river and will be hauling the sand away soon. It was a expencive end to the season, I burned up the transmission in the red baron plus the fire damage,I blew up my ultra ,I reopened beacons road after the last big snow storm. Would i do again hindsite is 20 20 but I have already started thinking what I can do better next year, learning from mistakes is all part of the business, Mother nature will always be the true boss
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: