Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Week of June 16, 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Week of June 16, 2012 Reply with quote

A typical Cass trip for us even though it was a week later than normal and with this early Spring the LMB were not an easy target. 8 of us worked hard enough and we brought back lots of fish (8 limits of RB, 2 1/2 limits of P, 4 3/4 limits of BG, 3 limits of Pike, and 1 limit of both LMB and Walleye). We went through a flat of crawlers, 3 lbs of leeches, and about 10 scoops of minnows in the week.

We had 2 days of wind, 2 days of rain, and 2 days of calm. We fished mostly Allen's Bay in 5' for pannies...got our biggest perch there and slaughtered the Rockies. Bluegills were smaller than usual so we didn't keep too many from Allen's.

Thurs we hit Kitchi to do some casting for pike. MM is correct that it was way weedier than we are used to. Kitchi did yield us 8 pike but it was so windy that we left to fish in the River during late morning and then went back to Cass for the afternoon. It's no fun making the long trip from Birch Villa and then not getting to stop in PHole for a burger and beer at lunchtime!

On Friday we hit Pike Bay for bluegills and perch and a couple of LMB. It was so nice...I doubt we will ever spend a day in Pike's again and have it calm both when we arrive and when we leave...it was gorgeous on Friday in there.

Shiners were not avail and with the wind we didn't get to do our usual eve walleye fishing 'cept one night. I was lucky enough to get my biggest walleye ever (on a leech under a slip bobber but that was in Allen's earlier in the week in the middle of the day in 12 FOW). I say it is 30" long until you put a tape measure to it and then it is only 24" and about 5'lbs....I will add a pic later.

Worst part was the trip home. At the Dells, a semi lane-changed into our truck. That was scary seeing that big truck moving into our lane with nowhere to go. Luckily my nephew avoided being broad sided, but he did hit our right front fender with the tail of the flat-bedů.took 1 1/2 hrs to pull over, get a Sheriff, and file the report. At least we were not injured...thank God.

So now we can't wait for next year while we read posts from other Cass Lake Crazies the rest of this year.

Good luck out there during your fishing trips whereever you go!
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Gene. Glad to hear you guys got to fish all over the place. That's one of the best things about being up there... just being able to fish and see all kinds of water and scenery. Good fishing helps as well!

More glad to hear nobody got hurt on the way home. You can definitely count yourself as one lucky group of fishermen/women!

Looking forward to the pics!
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have too many pics but will post them when Photobucket is back workin for me.....

Forgot to mention that we did see several Eagles....about 4 on Kitchi and 2 on Pike Bay.....just magnificent...they are majestic.

Also, the coolest thing for me last week was when a small Pike had his eyes on my sis's slip bobber....and was stalkin it...right up to when she slowly reeled into the side of the boat...I tried to net it but then I realized that was against the rules so I let it swim away. Is that the coolest thing in the world when you see natue in action? Lots of Herons and even saw some Pelicans last week...and lots of Ducks with young-of-the-year.
They'll be there next yr and I hope I will be too.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great time. Too bad about the weather and wind.

Ron
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was overall a decent trip.
Sure wish I was back there now.

Here are a few pics:

Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Fishing Reply with quote

Good job, Gene. Sounds like you'll be back next year. Enjoy your fish fries this summer.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already booked for June 8-15, 2013.....45 weeks to go!
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Time Off Reply with quote

I've booked a spot for 2013 also
Trying to get sometime off in September, I would like to spend another week at Cass this year.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Nice Allen's Bay Walter... Sweet... Great catch
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, boy thats a real nice Walleye and some awful good eating of Rockies and Perch. Good job bud!

Grouch, if you happen to decide to go in late August or into Sept. try and stop in at Pike Hole bar and say hello. If you would like PM us and I'll send exact dates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: