Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
what to do in waskish beside's fishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: what to do in waskish beside's fishing Reply with quote

Its all most that time of year to start picking blueberry's.
With the new interpative center reopening once the state gets it $hit together they have a picture on the floor in the new building that is way cool to look at . It is a satalite image zoomed in of the area. They also have the old fire tower up and you can climb 100 feet into the air .It is one spectacular veiw.
We have a antique shop/gift shop Sandy"s .Its always fun to look at antiques. You fishermen can even stop in and buy the sweety a gift for letting you go fishing.
We have a beautiful ball field that hardly gets used. I like to go up there and hit golf balls. I even made a small tee box on the nw corner. Yesterday I repaired the basket ball backboard so the grand kids could shoot some hoops..
We have homestead park with picnic tables and play area for the kids. Plenty of shade trees and a fishing peer into the river.
We have two convenient stores for bait and snacks. Hillmens that has been here for years and north country food and fuel is going on 6 years.
Westwind is our premeir resort and offers camping,hook ups,bait shop,state of the art cleaning shack,safe harbor, good food. I like taking my fresh walleyes there as they do a fantastic job prepairing them. We have logging trails every where and its not uncommon to see a bear and on ocassion a moose. The grouse hunting is always good even when the population is down. The deer hunting can be tough as the woods up here are thick. Its still huntable once you get past the edges,or over the ditches. I have one area that I have never seen a hunter in that I would gladly turn on too a deer hunter or two. We also have timber wolfs running around the area which always make for a interesting hunt diffently keeps me on edge.
This year when the wind blows out of the west you can watch us get flooded as the river backs up and the waves crash into the shoreline destroying everything in its way. For some reason the corps has decided to raise the water level of the lake causing mass destruction.
On the windy days I have always been intriqued by island lake which is about 30 miles from here, near northome.
We also have the bog walk north of town which is worth walking atleast once.
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice overview of the area. There also is excellant bear hunting, the four wheeling is great with all of the trails up there. The grouse hunting should be very good again this year. I saw a mother grouse this spring with at least a dozen chicks with her. A very neat area to go to to get away from the crowds and noise of cars.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a small bear walk across our driveway a couple of days ago. The grandkids were outside and jacob are 3 year old was standing with his back to it about 40 yards away. Jayson was down our road helping me . The skitters were killing us and he decided to run home. As he took off he saw the black bear but assumed it was our lab bell. When I looked up the road it did not click at first until bell ran by me. I yelled bear and jason did a 360 and was back in a flash. I called home to tell the girls Jacob was out there and of course no awnser so a raced back up. The bear went into the woods when I yelled bear. When we got up to where we saw it Bella got the scent and took off. I started yelling heal, heal bad dog and she came back. They sure are beautiful and it made me think of grandma when she use to feed them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: