Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
5/28 - 6/3 Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: 5/28 - 6/3 Report Reply with quote

Group of 4 made our annual trip again this year for the Memorial Week. We stayed on Kitchi at Lost Acres again this year. Due to the extreme wind, we did most of our fishing on Kitchi. Water temp was 60F at both arrival and departure. Had a tough week of fishing with a lot of wind and several cold fronts moving through. Did not find walleyes in our usual spots relating to main lake structure but did well in the cabbage weeds later in the week. Most walleyes were 16-19" range, caught very few under 15". Largest of the year was 24" (released). Tuesday had 5 foot waves on Kitchi and forced us to pull the boats out. Wind was out of the South and I would have liked to seen how big Cass was. All in all a great trip, good luck to everyone headed up this week and next. Should be a great fishing with the warmer temperatures.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HATE big windy days.....but I also hate real hot days.
Spent a couple trips at Lost Acres in July and it was brutally hot with minimum action back then so I'm sure glad we got back to June fishing.

Too bad the weather didn't cooperate....but at least you got some nice ones and that's what makes you want to get back next yr already, right?

We'll have to see how MM is doing up there this week when he returns.

T-4 for our departure.
YeeeeHaaaa....hide the women and Rockies!
vitt
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene - Are you going over to the Pike Hole Monday for lunch? We have made a last minute plan to go to Cass (made reservations with Clark this afternoon). There are only 3 of us this year. Heading up this Thursday night and heading home Tuesday afternoon. This will be a shorter trip but still glad to be going.
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday the wind was 10-30 and a high of 89 degrees - Walleye are still going nuts - 17-25 feet deep on the main breaks.

Clark
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that update Clark.
Weather looks like it should cool down some by our arrival.
I hope to stop by to see you again like we did a few yrs ago--have that coffee ready please.

Vitt,

We are going to try to stop at PHole on Monday like usual (except for last yr) unless weather is really bad OR if it is pouring and we can't fish--then Luncheon for sure.
If we get to meet up for luncheon, I'll pay you those beers I owe you for the last few yrs your Cards have bested my Cubbies.
vitt
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried about the beers.

Maybe I will see you Monday. Good Luck!
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed you vitt. Kevin told me you stopped by late in the week. Was out on the water.

Interesting week for me, dad, and son. His first time up... so I spent a lot of time getting him into fish and giving him pointers (or untangling backlashes!). Very interesting weather week. Like Clark said... from upper 80s and calm for a day or two... to low 50s, gray, and winds blowing out of the NE. Extremes again. But we caught walleyes all days. Limited out on Monday too. Even had doubles on twice. In Kitchi, fish seemed to be on points in 15 to 20. Only caught a couple shallower than that this year. Even in or next to the cabbage. Couldn't get the shallow pattern going... EXCEPT on Cass. Late afternoon. Mid-lake bars. Caught a few in 11 to 13 ft. Seemed strange they were there. All fish caught on crawlers. Regret not giving shiners a try this year as I heard people did well on them a couple days. Old habits die hard I guess.

Tried leeches... only rockbass and pike. So it was all nightcrawlers on lindy rigs. No spinners or anything fancy. Just a red hook. 95% of the fish on Kitchi were always caught on the break near points. Nothing on the main straight breaklines this year. Pike were EVERY WHERE. Only saw a few muskies this trip... but caught pike in every spot on every lure. Couldn't keep them off. A couple nice ones... but nothing big. My son, however, made his old man look bad and hooked and had an upper 20 inch muskie to the boat on the last day. Fishing for bass/pike with a spinner bait. I tried to hand-land. Fish got off. I don't think my son appreciated that much. Fish was small... but it would have been his first. I think I was more bummed than he was. Rolling Eyes

Caught some BIG bass this year too. A couple intentional on the warm still evenings fishing a weedless frog... a few while casting for pike/muskie. Glad to see a good healthy bass population. Also caught two walleyes during the day over cabbage while muskie fishing. 23 and 25 inchers. Released. Surprised to see them hit big jerkbaits like that... but it was fun.

Great trip. Weather was a little flighty... but what's new there. Beer at the Pike Hole was a cold and tasty as ever. Hope the rest of you have good trips this week and the following. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: