Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Line/Leader questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Line/Leader questions Reply with quote

The week of July 9th seems so far away….A couple of tackle questions…..

1. When I go up to Cass, I usually spool up 10# mono because I troll allot.. Is this too heavy of a line?

2. I use a wire leader to protect me from Northern bit off’s. I was told this severely limits my Walleye success

Any thoughts on these issues

I do use an ultra lite rod with 4#. mono when fishing for Rockies/LMB

Junior
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By trolling... do you mean trolling a crankbait with the outboard? If so, that's a tough one. I generally don't troll baits very often for walleyes. If I do, it's on the breaklines in the evening on Cass. Not too much contact with pike there so I'll typically go with 8 to 10 lb test. But if you're trolling over weeds with baits during the day, you're going to contact a lot of pike. A leader is the only way to prevent bite-offs. Just try using a really light 50 lb test fluorocarbon leader. Less visibility and it works pretty well with the walleye/pike crowd.

When I'm slow trolling/drifting live bait rigs for walleyes, I use 6 or 8 lb Vanish Fluoro. Really thin, almost invisible in the water... and has a little better abrasion resistance than mono in the same diameter. BUT... a pike eats it and gets the bait down in it's mouth... you'll still get bit off every now and again. Funny though... I've gone two years without getting bitten off by a single pike with 8 lb fluoro. And I caught quite a few while drifting leeches over the past couple years. Just lucky I guess.
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior-
I think you will find a lot of varying opinions on this. I am by no means an expert, but when I troll for walleyes, I use Trilene 10 lb. XT as the main line. Then rig 6 or 8 lb. test for the snells, harnesses, etc. The thought being the snell will break before the main line and the thinner line is less visible to the fish.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years I've had many bite offs when I would be jig fishing for walleyes. I tried adding the smallest thinnest leader I could come up with to prevent the bite offs. Killed the action almost totally. Took the leader off, action picked back up. Ergo, I will put up with the occasional bite off in lieu of better over all action.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: