Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
The push to the end

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: The push to the end Reply with quote

Its roughly been 50 days straight on the lake everyday.With only 14 days of walleye season left Sad . Every year is different. This year mother nature has dictated where we could go .
I have had good fishing and not so good fishing but never any outstanding fishing. It seemed all the fish were scattered with small schools moving in and out of shallow water. For some reason every spot I plowed for Scott and his wheel house has produced good fishing for them? Out of 5 trips there was only one time when they did not get the limits. This saturday, sunday they have had outstanding fishing while 50 feet away in california his daughter and son inlaw and two grandkids have struggled. Jim ,Sten and Dale are also next to scott and had 3 on the ice last night.
Brian house idaho is slowly getting seasoned and he was not a happy camper yesterday when he arrived and saw the damage that has occured to his house. I explained to him that things happen and that the small shelfs he made were placed in bad spots and not the best idea. Not sure how the stove top got burned? I could see how the shelfs could get broken though.Last year Dewey some how tipped a table over and it went right through the cabinet door. Whats that saying shi$$ happens. It is also the time of year where I get a little burned out and need a second wind.
Its real easy to lose your patiants and you have to bite your lip somtimes. Brians buddie was complaining about the fishing and I told him I would drill a bunch of holes and he could walk around all day and fish outside. I will be moving them today and more then likly again tomorrow I guess we will be trolling.
The snow has settled down quite a bit and with the rain last night once it gets cold again there will be alot of hard chunks of ice .
bearpaws road collapsed 3 weeks ago just after they made it and flooded a huge area. That area is now refrozen and I hope to get the whole fleet out further. As in most years as I go out I expect others to be coming in towards shore. Idaho will not be going out there though as the weight is just to much for less then 20 inches of good ice.
This will also be the first year I pull the houses in to shore once walleye closes. If anyone wants to target crappies thay will need to stay on shore .I hope to get out and target crappies with the sled as I still think you could hit the mother load. It will be interesting to see if I can land a few of the elusive but still catchable upper red lake crappie.
Todd,Bob,jenny and barb went home with atleast 7 keeeprs for the weekend. They were fishing in florida and I think they will be coming back as they had a great time. It also sounded like they may come up this summer and let me take them fishing.
That has always been my goal to have repeat customers.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: 12 days left Reply with quote

Where did the season go?
Its hard to beleave that in less then 2 weeks we will be done.
We have some crazy weather as I sit here water is dripping off the roof as it is 37 degrees. Tomorrow a chance of rain/snow showers.Then a bit of snow on friday? Not sure what a bit of snow is but I think its funny.Why not say 1 to 3 instead of a bit. This last 12 days is going to be very hectic as I have fishermen coming and going. Then just like a lite switch it will just turn off.
I will not be having a crappie hunt this year but plan on having some type of event early ice next winter.Theres not much fishing to report other then westwind, bearpaw, red lake adventure,spider and I have been busy moving houses into fresh areas. I would still like to get down to rodgers and go to the end of there road to see how close they are to the fantastic fishing I had 3 years ago.
frank from the north country store is talking about having a road to center bar next winter as the first couple of weeks can be unbeleavable fishing.
I'm still not comfortable driving the red Baron just anywhere as it has been such a strange winter. The area I have been moving the houses has 22 to 24 inches of ice with 5 being frozen slush/snow That make the clear ice 17 to 19 about the depth I feel safe. Well the sun is up and its time to get busy.Lets hope the fishing is outstanding the last 12 days
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading up Friday early to fish a couple days out of Beacon Harbor. they sound like nice folks on the phone and the place looked pretty good when I drove through last summer.
ya I'm a little concerned about that 'bit of snow' too. hopefully not too much snow and not too much wind. that wind is always the wild card.
I'll try to hook up with you this summer cookie on one of my treks to Roseau hopefully
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey slabby that sounds good. give us a report of how you do. All i have heard is good fishing over there. Met some guys at the store one day and they had not done well. I told them i heard that the fishing was good and sent them over there. they had a fantastic time Dean told me. Of couse I did not even give them my card so all they no is who was that guy that sent us over here. Oh well you win some you lose some
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: