Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Bait
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Bait Reply with quote

Just wanted to pass along a great service I have been using the last two years. I have no connections to the business other than they supply the best bait, leeches, worms, when you are not in the heart of Minnesota, you can buy. It is "Jewell Outdoors",
http://www.jewelloutdoors.com/shipping.html

Mark ships fresh leeches to all points south of Minnesota, for all my brothers in Illinois, shipping is FREE to Illinois. Besides the nice active healthy leeches, they have a great supply of Canadian Crawlers by the flat or half flat. I still have crawlers in the frig from last year which I bought at Jewell. A trick I learned was to feed them about once a week with a small "sprickle" of plain corn meal. Turn it over in the bedding and they love it. Seriously, this flat of crawlers have been going strong in the frig since last June. I have already placed my order for leeches when the ice comes off. Great people to do business with.

Catch a bunch,
Col Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron, I saw this place advertised. Looks like a good deal. Problem is, my crawlers die in a few weeks. Not sure why. What temp do you keep them at? I've been using Frabil Dry stuff, but this year I am trying something new, its Fat and Sassy, comes pre mixed, ready to use.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

FF,

The only thing I had around when the crawlers arrived was potting soil so I used that. Seems to work just fine. Prior to going on the lake, I take about 3 dozen out and put them in the Frabil worm bedding material in a small cooler. That way I keep all the dirt out of the boat.

I keep these critters in the same frig as my beer which is right at 38 to 40 degrees. I slowly turn over the dirt and crawlers so they get air in the bottom of the large styrofoam cooler that I use, feeding once or twice a day. If you ever see a smaller "Omaha Steak" styrofoam cooler, they are the best. drill a few holes in the top for air.

On another note, I ran into a guy in Lakeview, Ar, a week ago who went up to Racine, Wisc. after Christmas to buy into a franchise which grows a Cultured Worms. Investing a couple grand in the operation. I never heard of cultured worms but this guy is going to raise them. The great thing about the "cultured crawlers" is that they need no refrigeration !!!! When he gets operational, he is going to give me a call so I can try them out, I will let you know how they are. He said they look just like Canadian crawlers.

Have fun out there,

Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Jewels also says they sell African Crawlers. Whatever the heck they are.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I found a guy on Craigslist selling some kind of worms. He said they are just like canadian nite crawlers, but they are not them. The price was right so a bought a bucket of them, 500. Also two of my buddies each bought a bucket. Man, I've never seen crawlers like this before. I had the bucket on the basement floor. Next day I go down there and there has tobe 50 all over the floor. I watched them, they were actually pushing the top of the cover up to escape. I then weighted the top down. They actually made a hole some how and more escaped. My buddies had the same problem. Needless to say, we didn't buy them again.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, lively crawlers, sounds like they would be active on the hook,,,,,

Down at our home in Arkansas, the crawlers are similar, I would say they act more like a small snake, very strong, and active. I have put them on a rig, and did very well with them. The BIG problem is you cannot dig for worms in Arkansas unless you use a pick axe. If we get 2 or 3 inches of rain, I find them on the driveway.

Go get'em

Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me to, also waiting for some rain. Been dry around here for a bit.
Nevadafisherman
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col. Ron,

How long do the leeches last when you order them this way? How far out should I order them before leaving to head north?

It looks like a great economic way to have plenty of bait! My concern would be the death of the leeches or crawlers.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem at all. The leeches should get to your place ideally about two days before you leave. Get them and the crawlers in the frig right away. Change the water in the leeches every other day with non-chlorine water, preferably from a near by lake. Put the leeches in a cooler a little larger than a six pack cooler/ hard cooler, when you leave. When you stop for gas add a few ice cubes to the cooler. The crawlers will be fine as long as they are cool.

Peace of Cake,

Col Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crawlers always died on me, way to soon. This year I am going to try letting the water sit for a week before using it. That way the chlorine will dissipate
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ff,
You do mean leeches. If you are putting your crawlers in water, that maybe a clue as to why they die Embarassed

CR
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Ron, I'm talking bout crawlers. I bought Frabil Dry Worm bedding. I have to add my own water. That is where the chlorine comes in. I just picked up some Frabil Fat and SAssy bedding, which is already pre mixed with the right amount of water and food. Hopefully I'm on the right track now.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotch ya. One way to get around it if you don't have access to good lake water is to buy a gallon of distilled water, works fine.

I was not aware that the bedding came premixed with the water. I do know that if you mix your own and squeeze the bedding with the water in it, water should not be dripping out, if it is, the mixture is too moist and the worms won't be able to breathe

CR
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first year I've seen this Fat and Sassy. So, I am guessing its relatively new. Years ago I was into Tropical fish. When I would set up a new tank, I would let the water sit for a week. The chlorine would dissipate. What I am doing now is filling empty soda bottles and leaving them sit a while. This seem to be working. Last week I had plans on going crappie fishing so I bought a couple doz minnows. I've been taking the dead ones out and then taking some water out. I replace the water with water I've had sitting. The minnows do not seem to bad off. No major die offs. Once I get some crawlers I plan on experimenting with the aged water.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That made me laugh a little. ffishman "was into Tropical fish." Next I'm waiting for him to reveal that he was also in to decoupage and painting toy soldiers. But I digress... Laughing

T... what I've learned over the last dozen years of finding, keeping transporting the crawlers is:

1. Start off with HEALTHY WORMS. After collecting them on the golf-course, I used to just throw all of them directly into the bedding/container. But when you're picking them up, some of them are a little sickly to begin with, or maybe you got to rough with them when you were picking 'em up. Either way, I throw them in a bunch of buckets with newspaper when I catch them. Then I bring 'em home and count out the dozens I want in each container. If they haven't buried themselves within 15 minutes.... bye bye. Throw them in the lawn.

2. Keep the coolers in the coolest place possible. Common sense.

3. Making the bedding. Just like Ron said... if you buy the stuff that you have to add water too... when you think you're done... pick it up and squeeze it into a ball in your fist. Few drips of water... just right. If it's a steady drip/stream... too wet. Dry it out a little.

4. Check them every other day. I gently dump them out of the container onto a big trash bag. It helps aerate the bedding... and I paw thru the mess to pick up and throw out ones that are looking dead or knocking on the door.

5. Food- sometimes I add it, sometimes I don't. Most bedding is supposed to contain food. But I've tried some dead leaves (natural), a corn meal sprinkle, or a few crushed corn-flakes.

6. Heading up - Wet down a newspaper and stuff it over the top. Throw a few ice cubes under the lid... good to go. Just make sure you continue to check your stock while you're up there. I neglected that little step this last year. The container got wet from rain and dew... 4 days later one whole container was wiped out. I won't even describe the sound I made while gagging at the stink. Shocked

7. Put worm on hook. Put worm in front of walleye. Catch walleye. Fillet walleye. Eat walleye. (with beer preferrably)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: