Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
2009 cass lake trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallys
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: 2009 cass lake trip Reply with quote

Well i'm enjoying my 3rd winter snow storm within the week--cabin fever has set in, so i decided to give a recap of our annual Cass Lake trip...
weather wise was a bit on the cold, rainy side. from the reports i read, it never really warmed up all year. water temps were in high 50's, but the fishing was steady..I'll take cold and rainy as long as the fish r hitting. We caught fish all week-steady, nothing i would call hot.. walleye were perfect eaters in size with decent numbers every day. found two "new" productive spots this year. pike were in bigger numbers this year than previous years..bluegill were good in size, but not as plentiful as years past. i'm sure due to the water temps. not a crappie all week, but we got into the big perch from the second day on through the week..of course, rock bass after rock bass all week. Only downer of the week was we just couldnt find em before 10am...trollin, shiner, leech, slip-bobber, curly tails...tried everything...any thoughts??
We had a great overall week of fishing. Jig n shiner were supposedly the bait choice, but we caught almost everything on leech and crawlers.
Can't wait to get back to try a couple of new spots.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about Cass is the structure, its everywhere. You know it, I know it, and the fish know it. I fished some spots that would always produce, then, the following year, nothing. Those dang fish keep moving. If they would only stay in the same spot things would sure be easier. The only thing I have found, is if they are not where you think they should be, try changing up. Different depth, lures, etc. Once you find them, usually they will be in the same depth elsewhere in the lake. Some years ago I had spot in 12' of water that always produced. Well the following year, nothing. While trying to find the magic jig combo we drifted into 7' of water. We nailed them. There were 4 of us in the boat, and in a short time we all limited out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: