Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
coneys and crappies on the ice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: coneys and crappies on the ice Reply with quote

Yes thats right we again will be putting on a crappie hunt and coney feed in march. March 12th and 13th to be excact.
The walleye season will come to a abruped end on feb 28th. I then will have two weeks to position the houses for the event. We will be fishing in the open on the 13th and this year once we pick the spot we will work it all day rather then moving like last year. I will be scoutting for the ideal spot . The spot I find will have to atleast produced two crappies before hand .
I again will offer a discount for our houses and hope to again have a few prizes to boot.
If you do not want to stay on the lake Beacon Harbor is now renting totaly remodeled rooms. Theres a good chance that's where we will be going out of depending on ice conditions. Our houses will be out of westwind but will try and have them far enough out for a chance at a crappie or two. I may have them in closer by the cribbs as I have caught crappies there in the past in march, Only time will tell.
Nows the time to join us as we make swiss cheese on the ice .
Looking forward to another great get together,last year we had 22 fishermen and if Jeffs place would not of burned down I think it would of been a perfect day. Are total was over 48 of the elusive but still catchable upper red lake crappie.
Old MN. Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cookie. It's Lee. I got a second account on here so I can type in at work too. I got dibs on Old Mn. for the Crappie extravaganza in March, and I will again be donating an "Ultimate All-Nighter" package, complete with dinner show and hotel room at The Mystery Cafe, as one of the prizes for this year. Also, I will make a giant batch of fish chowder to go with the Coneys! If anyone missed this thing last year, it was a BLAST! I was up with Cookie all last week, with a bunch of guys that had never fished Red before and they went on and on about how great Cookies houses were, and what great customer service he provides. I have done a lot of ice fishing over the years and I have never seen a resort or guide that moves his houses to fresh spots as much as Cookie does. Also checked out Beacon Harbor and the new owners are great folks, and did a super job fixing up the old Hudeks motel rooms.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Old minnesota man. I have penciled you in for old minneota. Thats awesome with your prize as it welll over a 250 dollar value. I will be giving away one full day of fishing in our 20 foot tyee this summer with one free night lodging. Thats well over a 300 dollar value. Thats two great prizes so far. We will again deal out the best 5 cards for all the gifts. I will post more of our gifts as they trickle in.
The greeek will be preparing the coney's again this year and we will not let John and CrappieSpense out of our sight as they found the mother load last year and forgot to let us know. Utah will be with us for a shelter ,food prep and has a out house on the outside. More then likly we will be going out of beacon harbor as thats where I will be doing my scoutting for the elusive yet catchable upper red lake crappie. This is a rain,snow,sunshine event so be prepared for any condition.
We still have idaho,florida,montana open for this event plus our cabin. Not sure if we willl have californa as it may be going to milacs.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cabin and the day house is now reserved for Bob and his crew as they will be joining us on are crappie hunt. I almost can bet we willl be going out of beacon harbor. I promised kellie I would not cross hillmens road this year.
Ryan called last night at 10 as he had just landed a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crapppie. That makes the second one he had caught out of westwinds road 6 mile out.
I guess its time to take the deluxe house out further as the big reef will just not pay off for me. Every time it about time to pack up one of the houses does well. Bearpaw said the same thing happened to him last year.
My new plans are to get florida and montana out theer by the weekend . the greeks back is really hurting and it looks like I'm on my own this week.
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie: Could you explain the details of the first night and the fishing the next day. Last year we missed out on the first day and just didn't feel a part of it and then with Jeffs building burning, it just put a damper on everything. We were just fishing 30 feet from him when he recieved the call..it wasn't good. We are thinking of comig up....two people.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just around the corner and we still have some shacks open for are get together. last night Thad got a elusive but still catchable upper red lake crappie and Doug got one out of beacon harbor. I have also heard they are picking a few up out of jrs? The plan as of now is to have the houses out as far as posssible on westwind road. I will be searching for the mother load the next few weeks . last year we had 22 fishermen and all enjoyed the coneys on the ice. Will cross are fingers for some nice weather.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Heres a update Florida,montana and Idaho are still open. We sure would like to have them occupied for the event. Florida managed 3 crappie last weekend if you count the third one that got off at the hole. I'm looking west and may keep plowing that direction until I hit another road. Even though montana nd old minnesote are right in the area they never got one? I just do not understand why its so sporatic. Oh well maybe next year I will have a new plan. i sure love being out there and could not ask the lord for a better job. Yes somdays it can be a battle and I have been known to throw out a cuss word at times.
The body aches but it aches if I do nothing also.
I have a big beef and will be venting at some time. I have sent a email but with no response from the accuser it just becomes more frustaraing.Maybe I will cool down but we will see. Its so hard to look out to the north and see all that area I could be ruining. I just deleted and need to stop.

have a grand Day

cookiesonupperredlake.com
Leebo
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, my good friend. A word left unspoken can always be said later, but once it's out you can't un-say it. See ya in a couple weeks. Put me down for Florida too, I'll have at least 3 guys with me.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we willl be playing it by ear for our event. I was out on the lake yesterday . You can drive just about anywhere as the snow has turned to mashed potatos.Everywhere I augered I found clear solid ice up to 28 inches measuered with a tape measure. The fishing could of been bettter but I did have a couple of misses that came up like a crappie and stoled my bait. I also caught a couple small walleyes which in the past was also a good sign of crappie in the area. Bob ,Stefh Tony and Kristi will be fishing today and I will join them as I look for a goos starting point for our get together. Good water proof boots may be in order as there was basicly a inch or two of water on th elake. I did not see any water flowing in to the lake at this time. Some of the old roads/trails were holding quite a bit of water as they are like canals but going off road was not a issue at all.
Lets hope the winds stay down and we enjoy are day on the ice
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: coney's,elusive crappies and galoshas Reply with quote

I made it out of beacon harbor with the gang in the cabin last night. Wow had things changed in 24 hrs. Good water proof boots are now in order as you could not find a dry spot on the lake. A wooden pallet would work to stand out of the water. Again no water was flowing down the holes.The ice did not seem to of changed but there's a good 2 to 3 inches of water everywhere. Driving down the old road there was alot more standing water so getting off the old road was a little more comfortable. I had a hot hole and landed a 8 inch perch and 4 small walleyes. Bob missed a fish three time in a row as well as Steve. Steve did come through and landed a elusive yet still catchable upper red lake crappie. I'm sure we will keep working that area and plan on bringing the cook shack out to that area. If your coming up think of a way to stand out of the water because it does get old after awhile. lets hope we can find a few more of the elusive yet catchable upper red lake crappies
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we will be heading out on the lake shortly with utah. Bob and his crew are up to 4 of the elusive yet catchable upper red lake crappies. The water has started to flow into the lake. From what I saw out in front of my place we may not be standing ankle deep in water. I think the greek is going to spend the night out there. Hopfully thers no holes to worry about from the water flowing into the lake. Most have backed out of coming so not sure what to expect but it will be fun either way.

Has anyone seen the fish chowder?
Leebo
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to all about the lack of chowder. I have been battleing an acute case of diverticulitas, and ended up spending Friday night and Saturday in the hospital instead of on the Lake. I hope everyone had a good time. I'll bring up the chowder next year.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Lee I knew you did not feel well. It was a play on your joke last year with Chris.
It was another great way to end the season. Bob,steve,tony kristi and steph ended up working way to hard for 5 elusive upper red lake crappies. The area we set up had gotten one on thursday and was a fishy area. Kellie landed the big fish of the day a 39 inch pike on her crappie rod. I landed two waleyes one on Jessies rod and one on jeramiah's rod. A few perch were caught and a couple more smaller walleye but no elusive upper red lake crappie.
The greek did a superb job with the coneys and they were way good. Quinten really liked them or he was real hungry. Bob won The Mystery Cafe dinner tickets and Kristi won the day in the boat with lodging.
We never moved around to much as it was fun just all hanging out together. we had 16 adults and 2 kids. Mike, Quentin and ronnie did stop by for coney as well as Dean from beacon harbor. We decided to pack it in and get off the lake just before dark. Bob and his crew stuck it out to the east of us but never found the mother load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: