Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Fishing report, Aug. 22nd-Sept12th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Fishing report, Aug. 22nd-Sept12th Reply with quote

Well another year has come and gone with our annual trip to Cass and Kitchi. seems like we brought some great weather with us until last week when some rain moved in. But even that triggered a good bite. Nothing really exceptional in size this year but we had our son Mike and his family with us the first week and that made the whole trip very special.

Naturally we had to do some sight seeing with the kids like the Paul Bunyon statue in downtown Bemidji and other things of interest to kids as it was their first time in Minnesota and a long time since Mike was here in the 70's. All he had done fishing until now was here in Utah which is good but not like the north country. Somewhat equal, just different. We did not however connect with any big ones again this year. I blame it on all the forage fish. Anyway, thats my only excuse and I'm sticking with it. We did however see a nice 40" plus Pike or Muskie in Kitchie that followed my lure to the boat and then turned so I could see his whole length and girth. I could not tell what it was as it was dusk and I could not clearly see its markings. NICE!We got out on Cass quite a few times and fished the reef weed lines but only managed a few Rock Bass which were good size and a couple of more in Kitchi. They really seemed to be on the bite.

Most of our fish were LMB and Pike as thats the kind of fishing we do; mostly in the weeds and on structure. I was raised on that with a Bass fishing father and prefer the casting technique. I think the bigger fish were still in deeper water and merely have to swim around with their mouth open to feed. There was that many forage fish everywhere on the sonar in water of 15' plus. I bet Gene got all the big LMB this year but we got the Rockies! Laughing We tried many lures and presentations for the Muskies without success. I'll bet the Muskie Mark will have a solution, go Mark Very Happy

And once again we absolutely loved every moment while we were there. There is a lot more to fishing then just the fish. but you guys and gals all know that. Got a chance to do some rifle shooting with my new rifle with some local friends there I have known since the late 50's and had a nice venison steak cookout. Great! Did the Pennington triangle fishing contest and cookout. Good friends and much fun, also Great!

Looks like my son and his family will be back with us next year, God willing and once again it will be very special. Just a few pictures below for your enjoyment.

OK, let the football and bashing begin. Our Bears are off to their usual start but its early. Green Bay and the Vikes look pretty good. The Pheasants and ducks are calling me afield and Karen is getting a fish dinner ready for tomorrow. White Chardonnay is chilled for that, the beer is cold and the sun is shining, what more could you want? The sun is setting on Kitchi and I'm gone until next year. Stay safe all, Later, Bob

gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Bob. Thanks so much for those pics....I dream those pics just about every night and I too cannot wait for next year's trip.

Gonna guess the first 2 pics are in Buck Lake?????
Can't even venture a guess on the other locs. \
Sure am glad my Rockies are still hungry.
And as to LMB size, well, we only took one outta Kitchi and none outta Buck so you are probably right that there was just too much forage for them.

The pics show some nice weather and with your other activities as an adjunct to fishing, plus having your son with for a week, seems like you have no choice but to be thankful.

I gotta say that as each year goes by, Cass makes me more and more thankful to have lived and experienced the natural wonders of our good Lord up there.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome report Bob. Great pictures too. I hope someday I'll be bringing my sons and their families up to Kitchi/Cass too. But I'm not going to get ahead of myself. They're only 10 and 8 yrs old!

And I know I have a long ways to go figuring out the muskies on Cass and Kitchi. Even more clueless about catching big Pike consistently! They baffle me. Rolling Eyes

Looking at those pics. First 3 on Kitchi for sure. 4th... not sure. And the 5th... back of Buck Lake. In fact... if you meander a little to the Northwest (left in the photo) of were your son is holding his bass... right in that little curve of the weeds/reeds as it winds in to the back bay. There's a big neckdown area. Seen two huge muskies in that spot... twice! No hooks in 'em though! Like I said, I still have a lot to learn.

Have a great fall Bob. Shoot some roosters for me. I hope to get out for Pheasant, Quail, and Grouse this fall/winter. We'll see though.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pix Bob. Looks like you had a very successful trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: