Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Fishing Reports?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IAfishgal
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Fishing Reports? Reply with quote

We are headed up next Saturday for our annual trip and I was wondering what's been going on up there? It has been pretty quiet around here lately! We are headed a little later then usual this year (my sister planned her wedding during our normal week Confused ) so any pointers for early August would be appreciated. We went in August several years ago, but have been in early to mid-July ever since. I seem to remember the Northerns being a little more active during our last August trip. As always we'll be staying at Horseshoe. Only 6 more "sleeps" as we say in our family. Can't wait to get on the road! Hope everyone is having a great summer, and thanks in advance for any helpful hints! I hope I'll be able to post some nice pictures when we get back!!
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no help here. Never been there in August. Hopefully Clark will see this if he has time and chime in. Good luck,and enjoy.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been up in the middle of summer either. Not even once in the 28 years I've been visiting. I'd really like to though. Heard the muskie action is at it's finest in August. Though this year it sounds like it's been fairly slow due to the cooler than normal weather.

One good thing though... heard a BIG warm-up is in store for the upper midwest starting the end of this week. Could be the beginning of a warm steady weather pattern, so you could be hitting it just right! Good luck IAfishgal! Smile
IAfishgal
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuskyMark-

My boss has a some muskie equipment that has been sitting around collecting dust, so he is sending it along with us. Any tips for some beginners?
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAFISHGAL,

I got some tips for you:

Blueknight in the 5th.
Seabiscuit in the 7th.
Don't spit into the wind.

Hey, be sure to post some pics from your trip.
Hope it's a good one.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tips for beginners? On Cass in early August? Hmmm. First:

Check your gear! Good line? Good knots? Sharp hooks? Good net? Release tools? (Good needle-nose pliers and hook-cutters) If you have all that, then:

Mornings or evenings if the sun is out. All day if it's overcast, cloudy, windy, or any combination. Way too many spots on Cass to even mention. Find some good cabbage with deep water near by... you're probably fishing around muskies.

Baits/Lures? Bucktails. The big double 10 blades are pretty hot right now. I don't think you need to be throwing a Cowgirl to catch fish thoughl...so any bucktails will do. Black with orange blades are always good colors on Cass. Brown and yellow too. And if it's not too choppy, I've heard topwaters are GREAT in August. I've done well on walk-the-dog type topwaters (Jackpots,etc.) but I've seen other people catch big fish on Prop-baits.

To be completely honest with you... if you haven't musky fished before... especially on Cass... I'd hire a guide for a day. Would really be worth your money to get you started. Horseshoe probably can recommend some good options.

Good luck!
IAfishgal
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I know it was kind of a broad question, but any info helps.

We have actually hired a guide before so we know a few things.

Tomorrow at this time we'll be on our way to Cass! I read a little on the other site that the walleye have been slow this year. Hopefully that just means they'll be hungry when we get there!

And Gene, thanks for your tips as well! I should have seen that coming!

Last edited by IAfishgal on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following in gene's footsteps... I'll add a couple more bits of wisdom... imparted to me by my dad.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me...
than a frontal lobotomy!

and, my personal favorite.

You can't drink all day...
...unless you start in the morning!

Advice like this has seen me thru some hard times. Laughing

Mark
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend throwing some of those 10,000 casts in The Kettle area.....some bigguns r known to live there.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gene, I played BlueKnight in the 5th, and lost a bundle. Last time I take a tip from you.
Gowdy
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best tip I ever got was from my big sister when we were growing up on the east side of Gary, Indiana--"don't eat yellow snow".

Gowdy Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: