Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Quick report for 6/13-6/19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
powerdive
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Quick report for 6/13-6/19 Reply with quote

We again stayed in 2 cabins at Finn 'N Feather on Andrusia. Surface temp was high 50s when we arrived, mid-60s when we left. Lilacs were in bloom--a very late spring. We struggled to find walleyes early in the week, catching only a few dinks mostly in the evenings. Our midweek fish fry was mostly panfish--found some monster pre-spawn sunnies in the thick shallow reeds, and nice perch in the sparse deeper reeds. Thursday morning brought a mayfly hatch on western Cass, and that was the day we finally started catching walleyes on our summer patterns.

So, the last two days we managed to fill everybody's walleye limits.

Most of our walleyes were caught on the Boomerang in Allens Bay, slow trolling live bait near the weed edge at 13 to 16 feet. They absolutely wanted crawlers--we only caught a couple on leeches.

Nothing big--our fish ran smaller than in the past couple years--but we did manage a 20+ for every limit, with lots of 15-17" eaters. Best was 24".

So, another great time. I'm guessing the walleyes were shallow early in the week (we found very few between 11 and 30 feet). For future reference, what kinds of spots/techniques tend to produce when the eyes are shallow? We've only fished the summer period in all our years...thanks!

Mike
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report Mike. Glad the fishing turned a corner before you left.

The boomerang. Can't wait to hit that this fall! I'll be looking for a different species... but still! Smile
powerdive
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM, we did try musky fishing on Andrusia on cool, misty, breezy evening. Basically just drifted the deep weeds from the outlet to the SW corner. Raised one with an 8" crank, didn't take, and also caught one skinny northern just shy of 30". Little early for that stuff, maybe.

Walleyes--average size fish were scattered here and there along the southern and western sides of the Boomerang. The tip of the arrowhead and the NW wing point seemed to be collection areas, and there was a small spot about 40 yards inside that wing where most of the bigger fish were feeding. I think we caught all but one of our 20+ fish right there. Tons of baitfish around--that was the key.

Funny that they wouldn't take leeches for us...

Col Ron's bluff spot on Andrusia was our "dink factory" in the evenings. Very Happy
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am finally back from Disney, had a great time, now I have to get into my "summer pattern".

Still sounds like tough conditions, hard to believe the water hasn't warmed more than that. PD, as you know there are two ways to go. Bottom bouncers, and finesse. Many times you can catch a lot of walleyes by bouncing, which allows you to cover more water. However, in Cass, the preferred method especially when you are not in the summer pattern is finesse with ultra light tackle. I have even noticed a big difference between Cass and Pike Bay. I normally bounce in Pike, in Cass, almost solely finesse with light rigs. One other thing to try is a SMALL jig, like a 1/16 oz, and use a medium size leech, and a slip bobber. No need to do this with 70 degree or above temperatures however.
Yes, I think I commented on the Cliff, I don't know why but most of the walleyes are under sized. You would think larger ones would come through there. Unfortunately, I have seen people keep those that are the size of a nice perch.
I would have thought that if the water was still that cold, you would have had warmer water in Andrusia. Tough conditions especially now with the mayflies, which seems late to me, obviously because of the temperature.

Col Ron
powerdive
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother caught the majority of the smaller walleyes, running a 1/4-oz. bullet sinker on 6# mono with a 4# leader 4' long, single #8 hook and whole crawler. I caught virtually all of the larger fish on my "hit 'em over the head" leech rig--10# braid, 1/2-oz. bullet, 6# fluoro leader 5' long, green #2 Northland Gumdrop Floater, substituting half a crawler.

So on those two days, anyway, finesse got the numbers while the heavy hitter took the bigguns. Might be a reflection of the size of the bait they were targeting those particular days...
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for sharing the information!!!

CR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: