Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Reports 6/6-12/09
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reports 6/6-12/09 Reply with quote

Well, it was another Cass slaughter!

We fell just short (needed 5 more pike and 1 LMB) of our limit of SEVEN diff species: Northern, Walleye, LMB, Crappie, Bluegill, Rock Bass and Perch.

One night Sven had to clean 120 and most nights we were not done cleaning and wrapping until Midnight. We got the pannies and LMB in Allen's Bay, the perch S of the Western Potato Island, the Northern in the Eastern bay way back in Kitchi, and our walleye on the SouthEast shore of Cass. We did try a little fishing between Sailstar and the Rt 2 bridge and a little bit of time was spent near the Kettle, but most of our week was in Allen's with a little also spent in Dick's Bay.

Although it was fairly windy all week long, it was easy enough to manage our drifting and anchoring. Early week was very cold. Monday the rain fell and so we drove our car over to the Pike Hole luncheon. I wore a snowsuit until Wed with winter coat until Thurs then on Thurs the heat arrived and it was almost 'TOO HOT TO FISH'. Fri was a very nice day to end the week on.

We caught almost all the fish on crawlers or leeches under bobbers. Walleye hit jig'n'shiner both Wed and Thurs pm and the Perch came on our leftover shiners on Friday at mid-day......EXPENSIVE Perch for sure.

Thurs night the mayfly larvae showed up and on Fri night the mosquitoes were out.

All in all I'd have to say it was about our best trip ever in 30 years....pics to follow soon.

Guess I'll be back next year.
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Gene - Nice Report Reply with quote

Nice report, I can see that judging you by your companions remarks was not very fair. You actually write a comprehensive story. Of course I understand that said companions will downplay this and give you a rough time about it but that's life. Glad you had a fine time.

We're going back for a week in September. Just got to give it another go.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you hooked 'em Gene, you are one that I am always cheering for to make the most of your vacation time. The weather was not on your side, but you kept your eye on the boober and came through with many fish to fry throughout the year. You're the man. Good job, Ron
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, Hope you left our group some Rock Bass when we get there on Saturday.... Smile

Looking forward to a Bacon Cheese Burger at Pike Hole
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Grouch. And I don't care bout being judged by anyone 'cept Mr. Big.

Thanks Col. I know you know how hard we work for them....out at 9 in at 5 back out at 7-come wind, rain, or bugs. Now we will get to again enjoy our Cass fish dinners throughout the year while waiting for next year's trip. And our annual fishfry with friends and family makes it all worth it to see the smiles on all the non-fishermen/women when they taste those filets. They all wish they could go out and catch 'em too and they envy the good luck the Lord has bestowed on us. We have indeed been blessed for many years now.
(And to think that I almost didn't go because I figured after 8 or 9 straight good years that we were due for a bad year. Just lucky that Sven talked me into it this year).

Junior,
We released so many BIG Rock Bass late in the week that I am sure you will find them.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grouch, what week are you going to be up there in September? Karen and I would like to meet you at Pike Hole restaurant if you'll be there either the first or second week. We'll be there from Aug. 22nd to Sept. 11th. Maybe we can share a cool one together. Hope you can make it.

How about you Muskie Mark, when are you gonna do your fall trip. It would be nice to do a mini-Crazies get together. Bob T.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure when I'll be up this fall Bob. But it will probably be somewhere more in the late September thru mid October range. That seems to work best for everyone's schedules. But we'll see.
svendaguide
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Genes real catch! Reply with quote

Okay, so I bogied Geano with the picture of the fish that he ran to the Taxidermist with. So Here is a picture of Geano with the fish that he was instrumental in getting. Now mind you any DNR officers who might be looking in Gene did not personally catch all of the fish in these pictures, there were three of us Participating, so everything is legal and above board. Although you will notice the picture of the elusive Blue Perch, I am the one responsible for that. Genes favorite bait...... Anything plastic and white that you can hang under a bobber, virtually no specie in Cass Lake can resist it![/img][img][/img]
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys, especially on the Crappie. Ron
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, do those Crappie ever make me better looking or what?

And that Blue Perch.....really beautiful when Sven pulled it in. The pic doesn't do it justice as the colors faded quite a bit while in the livewell...it is quite the mystery for sure. A pretty thing alright...pretty unusual!
An amazing freak of nature I suppose (a freak catching a freak????) Nyuk, nyuk.
svendaguide
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Elusive blue Perch Reply with quote

I did some internet research last night on the "blue Perch"

Seems they are pretty rare, but there are also "Blue" Walleyes that people have caught in Minnesota and Canada. There is a fisheries biologist in Wisconsin who has been studying it. His findings show that the Blue fish are actually albino, and the "protective" slime on these particular fish has a rare element in it that makes them have a Blue color.

Figures I couldnt catch a rare big walleye or nothern, I get one with rare slime!
Chris Haley
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not an albino. That's what happens when Geno carries them around in his "blue" jeans all day!!!
svendaguide
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember Gene saying something about some glow in the dark equipment that he needed!
Chris Haley
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH Sven!!

I about peed my pants thinking about John Ritter's "Glow in the dark condom" scene in Skin Deep.

It was hilarious right up until the picture of Gene and the G-I-T-D-C popped into my head. Now I'm heading to the bathroom for another reason.

Sorry Geno but you have to admit, it was funny.
Nevadafisherman
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris...

One of the funniest scenes in movies I have ever seen in my life. I laughed so hard when I first saw that movie. I haven't heard a reference to that in years!!!!
LMAO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: