Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Kitchi Report, 5/24 - 5/30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Kitchi Report, 5/24 - 5/30 Reply with quote

A group of 5 of us stayed on Kitchi last week and mainly fished that lake. Made it over to Cass a couple of time when the weather cooperated. We didn't do as well as years past, probably due to the multiple cold fronts that moved through. Walleye fishing was slow. We managed to catch our limit of 15-19" fish and threw back a lot of short ones but it took most of the week and we didn't have any great days. Most were caught on leeches in 8-14 FOW. Crappies were spotty...one day they would be suspended out deep, next day in the weeds. We didn't catch any real big "slabs" but enough keepers for a limit. Perch fishing on Cass was slow, but we didn't fish for them much due to the wind / rain. Didn't go into Pikes or Andrusia.....
Judging by the weather Friday - Sunday and looking at the forecast, I think this week the fishing should improve greatly. Water temps were on the rise toward the end of the week. mid -hi 50's on Cass & low 60's on Kitchi. Good luck and tight lines to all headed up this week.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eye-doc......will be fishing on Kitchi this weekend. you say leeches worked well for you,but what type of presentation worked best for you,if you dont mind me asking.{mostly trolling,jigging,slip bobber,?} Also did you fish Pug Hole any...what was the current like going from pug hole into Cass? Glad you caught some walleye during your week on Kitchi. THANKS-IndyWalleye
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly fished flat line or floating jigs. Water level seemed pretty high to me compared to last few years. There was no problem motoring through Pug Hole area, but some current at the bridge and through the narrows into Cass.

Tight Lines-
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eye-doc------Was just wondering if you fished the "humps" on the west shoreline heading north towards the opening to the river, if you did any luck? Still trying to decide where to start on Saturday evening. IndyWalleye
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy-
I am familiar with the humps...but haven't fished them in years. Usually there are a few boats on them every day, but I have not had much success in that area.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a couple big humps or "rock piles", as some folks like to call them, on the western half of the main basin of Kitchi (as you head north along the western shoreline). But the "Humps" I know about and fish are a whole series of bars strung along next to each other and oriented parallel to the north shore of Kitchi. Running mainly NW to SE. If the wind is right, you can just drift from one to the other. If not, they're a BEAR to stay on. Mad

Some years we've done really well on the humps... and others we haven't. They've usually got pretty good weed growth, so if the fish are in the weeds, the humps are a good spot.

Little over 2 days... and I'll be there. Can't wait.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuskyMark--Looks like the first couple days and nights will be a little cool..but also looks fairly dry and low winds starting off. Understand how you feel, havent slept for days. Want to thank you for your reply concerning Kitchi..plan on starting there the first few days. Hope your fishing is enjoyable. IndyWalleye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: