Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Bull Shoals Walleye & Crappie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Bull Shoals Walleye & Crappie Reply with quote

I'm finally getting it down, no leeches so I have to search what they are biting on. The water is starting to stain with the 15 feet above normal pool water, which helps the fishing.

I borrowed my friends camera, great crappie!!!

Last edited by Col Ron, Guide on Thu May 28, 2009 7:48 am; edited 4 times in total
indycubs
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: nice walleye Reply with quote

nice looking wally. no leeches, what are the bull shoalls walleye feasting on?
Heading to cass in ten days, sure hope you can make it next year.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice fish Ron, looks like you are getting it dialed in.
powerdive
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern fishing definitely takes some getting used to. Looks like you're on the road to cracking the code, Ron. No surprise, of course, but many never do!

The walleyes down here mostly eat shad and juvenile panfish...sometimes crawfish in early summer. When the water's high enough (like now), guys often do well when they concentrate on the "old shoreline" (currently 16 feet), which is now a brushline. Cranks and bouncers for covering water, jigs and spoons for pinpoint work. Crawlers are about the only viable live bait to be had locally, most of the time. Mail-order leeches are expensive (high shipping cost), but they do work once the water warms. There aren't many traditional bait shops left around here these days...this is bass country...and mostly what they offer is a panfish/catfish selection--crappie minnows, goldfish, large shiners, crickets, prepared/cut bait. If you want decent minnows, you've gotta trap your own in the creeks.

Ron, we have a tourney on 6/20 out of Hwy 125 Marina at Peel...open entry, or it might be worth driving over to the weigh-in. I usually run these things and make a point of getting info out of the top teams on how/where they caught their fish.

However, it looks like I might have to miss this one due to an Andrusia trip that week...not sure yet. Very Happy
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PD-
Thanks for the invitation. We are doing quite well on the Crawlers, and two lures which I found to work. The large 2 pound plus crappie are suspending nicely at 26 feet. The water temp is 73 degrees.

20th of June-we won't be around, going down to see "Goofy", no not the Texan, the real "Goofy".

Col Ron
Gowdy
Angler

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col,

I'll be seeing Goofy on June 6th. Also known as 'Texan".

Take care,

Gowdy
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My regards to Goofy and the boys, maybe we will see you next year. Feel free to stop by at our new place, my treat, you would be awesome with a fly rod Smile, cigars always welcome and the Rhubarb pie always simmering on the top of the oven....

Col Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: