Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Slow fishing on Cass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burks12

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Slow fishing on Cass Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with some family that has been fishing cass the last two days. Sounds like the fishing is very slow. I leave Friday for cass. My question is, what will it take for the fish to start to get active. Do the water temp need to warm up?
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water temperatures should increase the activity significantly. Fish are more active and swim much more agressively after bait, and their metobolism increases so they need more food being more active. If the water is still cold head for Kitchi, Andrusia and Pike. Best of luck to you,

Col Ron
burks12

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like they tried to get into pikes, but were unable to with the windshield on the boat. Maybe the rain they will have this week will help the water temp. Thanks for the info.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to hear reports like that. We will be there a week from this Sat. Last year was very slow, due to weather, sure hope things get better. And, the water drops. When you get back be sure to post how you did, and water height, and temp. I also fish PIkes alot, and too high of water will not let me in.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burks:

Don't know where you are staying but if you can get to Andrusia, go under the bridge and look straight ahead, slightly to the right and look for a house on a bluff-about 3/4 mile down. There is a severe drop off around the shoreline by the house. Find the drop off, try to stay in 20 feet of water, which is a challenge if the wind is blowing, and run it from the bluff towards the bridge. Not huge fish but you should be able to catch your limit on nice fish to eat 15 to 18 inches. Leech, chartruse spinner and a # 4 hook, scrape,,,,slowly,,,the bottom. Wink Go get em'. Hate to see a vacation with poor fishing....

Col Ron
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col Ron,guide--darn sporting reply you gave tp BURK12. I also will be coming to Cass on June 6 for a week. Be fishing with my son and 14 yr old grandson....mainly loolking for walleye but plan to try for some decent crappie.My question is this " What can I try to get into crappie during that week.?" Staying at the "Shoe" on the north side........Are crappie known to be in BASS LAKE Thanks for any help--Indy Walleye
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Crappie Reply with quote

Indywalleye - On Friday of opening week many large crappie were taken from Lost lake. 14 -16 inch fish.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GROUCH--Thanks for that info....ALSO COL RON-I meant "buck lake not bass lake in earlier post.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would recommend Buck Lake, go all the way in the back part of the lake, as far back as the last houses. Try jigging white tube jigs tipped with a crappie minnow in the last circular pool back there, on the edges of the weeds. Normally they are there, they are not the huge ones like Grouch is talking about. If you have them right at Lost Lake, I would try that out, especially on a windy day. Good Luck,

Col Ron
burks12

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron. We are staying at Sah Kay Tay, it would be a ride for us. If all else fails we may have to try that.
indycubs
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: water temps. Reply with quote

anyone have any current water temp. reports for cass, kitchi, or andrusia?
Chris Haley
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temps had gotten to 60.2 this weekend. Yesterday they had dropped to 54. Hopefully today we start to turn things around again.

Fishing has been a bit of a chore. If you put the time in and move enough, you'll scratch out some walleyes.

I sat and watched a young couple try to clean one of Genes rock bass spots out Sun night.

Just remember something is biting somewhere on the lake at any given moment.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burk, if you are fishing in a boat that will clear the RR bridge, then, if it were me, I would fish Pikes. The only way I don't go there is if I cannot make it under the bridge.
burks12

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of Monday the boat would not clear. Maybe by this weekend the boat will fit. I too would like to get in there. We have had good luck in pikes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: