Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Day 79 I think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Day 79 I think Reply with quote

The lure of the elusive upper red lake crappie has slowly faded away as we are a ghost town. I have Seth,Brandon and who ever else they brought up fishing today and tomorrow. Not sure if any of the other outfitters/guide have custormers but I would think they have a couple anyway.
Lake travel is real good and you can pick your way around pretty good. I made a new road yesterday 2 miles west of where the houses are and was rewarded with back to back crappies. I will be taking old minnesota and florida out there today. I still have not given up on the area I went north but it has not panned out since those 5 were caught. I do not think I will be taking any other house that direction as the area I crossed hillmens road has flooded a bit.
Yesterday was the type of day you wait for all winter.With very little wind and the temps above 32 I never dawned a glove as I set in my lawn chair with out a jacket. The fish even cooperated and I managed to catch two crappies a 13 1/2 and a 14 1/2. I also lost one or two. A couple were just under the ice a hit my lure as it was going down? Again if it was a crappie it was a big one as he got away. The vex lit up like a xmas tree for about 10 minutes with three or four fish all chasing my minnow around. Then just like that they were gone. I did punch a couple of more holes but fishing by myself I got bored and went to scout another area.
Its been weeks since I fished where we were last year and I may venture into that area next week. I'm sure Jake will want to go there as we did so well there last year.
The Greek
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Early Spring fishing Reply with quote

Hey cookie
When you hit those nice days with the warm temps and a little sun add a few fish thats what makes life easier. I wish I was there to share the day with you. Crying or Very sad
Well I went a bought my new sturgeon rod & reel. I aways buy my fishing equipment from Marine General in Duluth. They treat me good. Very Happy Right now fishing is good on the big pond, Lake Superior. With some lakers and coho come out of the lake.
I'll be ready to fish for the big sturgeon on rainy river when the ice gose out on the river. I will bring the your boat up when i come up for the Crappie contest on the 21st of March.
I also went a bought a new enclosed trailer to bring to Alaska this spring. It seem the load is getting bigger very day. We are looking toward the drive up there. It is a beautiful drive. And i enjoy stopping at the hotsprings on the way up.
Like I say rip a lip.
The Greek
onthepond
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sturgeon? what do you know about Sturgeon? I think cookie has been telling you stories. Funny. And yes, I will be fishing that area we fished last year as well as many others if the mobility is easy. Just put the truck in drive. I can't wait, as I read the crappies have definately started to show up in more numbers.

Good luck fishing everyone

Jacob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: