Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Sad Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Sad Day Reply with quote

Heard through the grapevine that Tom, from Tom's Resort died. Haven't heard nothing official yet, just from a friend to friend kinda thing. He also thinks he is going to be waked in Norridge ILL.
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffishman,

The grapevine is correct, Tom past away on Saturday at 86
Here is the link to the Bemidji Pioneer http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/obituaries/

He will be missed,

Clark
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will truely miss him. He was a really nice guy. He taught me to fish Cass. He told me a story about the time the Linder bros came to Cass to do a segment for their TV show. Near the end of the week, they were sitting at the bar having a few, and complaining that there are no big walleyes in Cass, only eater size. Tom offered to take them out the next day. So, they met at the boat at 9am and Tom proceed to put them on huge walleyes. They said they were some of the biggest eyes they had ever caught. All this in mid day. Rest IN Peace Tom, you will surely be missed.
Nevadafisherman
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad day for me to hear this....Tom also taught my grandfather, dad and my family how to fish for walleye. I have so many memories of him from my childhood.

Thanks Tom! RIP!
carpy52
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only has Chicago lost 2 great Basketball players the last few days, it now has lost one of it baseball legends and best fisherman also. Tom as we all know was a special person and always made you feel like family no matter what or how many times you stayed at the resort. I remember the first time I met him. We got in and checked into our cabin and fished a little but Tom was out running around somewhere. The next morning I got up about 500 a.m. and went up and sat on the porch of the lodge and was watching the sun come up and just admiring the beauty of Cass lake for the first time. Next thing I know the door opens and this grizzly ole guys looks out and yells are me, "What you don't know how to put the coffee on?" Needless to say I was at a lost and he said, "Come on in here and I'll show you."

I got up and walked in and introduced myself and he knew right off what group I was with and asked if I was from Chicago too. I told him I was from Joliet and he mentioned some names and one was my grandfather. I told him I knew how to work the coffee maker and he said get it going then. I did and when it was done I brought a couple of cups to the table by the window where he was sitting and we talked for the next half hour. He told me that if I ever came up early like that just to come in that the door was never locked and put the coffee on that he was usually downstairs about 5:30. He really made you feel at home and he never forgot your name or what group you were with.

I'm sure going to miss knowing that he isn't around anymore. He will continue to be in my prayers and I wish him God's Speed. There are probley thousands of stories and they are the only thing we now have left of a great man and great fisherman.
powerdive
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never met the man, but now I feel like I did. Thanks, Carpy.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. No kidding. Great story carpy... and ffishman. Sounds like he was a memorable figure to a lot of people.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musky Mark, another story he told you should appreciate. One time he took some guys out early in the year. The were sitting on a spot, when Tom looked over, and right next to the boat was a musky. He was laying on the sunny side of the boat, and right next to it. Tom said he was able to lean over and rub its back. Then it swam off.
carpy52
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had also heard of the muskie story and Tom confirmed it to me one morning over coffee. I don't know if anyone else had ever seen this but one night just as the sun was setting I saw Tom come down and go over to his boat, that big old white one that was in the corner by the fish cleaning shed. I figured he was just checking it out, and maybe he was going out the next day but I just sat and watched him and he kept walking to the sides and putting his hand in his pocket then it looked like he would drop something in the water. I couldn't make out what he was doing but the next nite I was in the cleaning shed talking with the fish guys and here comes Tom agian and get in the boat and same thing.

I quietly walked down to the front of the boat and was watching him and he apparently didn't see me but I sure seen him and what he was doing. The old boy would reach in his pocket and take out some kind of food and then walk to the side of he boat and tap on it a couple of times. What I saw amazes me to this day, 4 to 10 walleye would come up to where he was standing and Tom would reach over and drop food into the water, those walleye would gobble it up and dive to the bottom and Tom would move to another part of the boat and do this time and time agian. I couldn't help but giggle and thats when he looked up and saw me and put his finger to his mouth and just shooshed me. I nodded and walked back up to the bar, I never asked him about it or told anyone what I had saw and Tom never said anything to me, I guess that was our little secret.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: