Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
2009 Opening Day
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: 2009 Opening Day Reply with quote

Just 100 days away. Starting to gather the tackle together.

Rain, shine,sleet, snow or ice - Who cares, it's a tradition!!
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is opening day? Always wanted to try from the get go
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 9th
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clark, when is the Musky opener?
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ffishman,
I believe it is June 6th

Clark
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, that is the day we arrive. A new guy in my crew is an avid musky chaser. He will be very happy.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the Kettle that day Ff...not too far from CLL....and a good spot to try for Musky.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gene will do. A few years ago we were looking for walleyes in the Kettle. Picking up one here and one there. Also getting some really nice perch in between. All of a sudden, all fishing died. About 10 minutes later, I saw why. A huge musky swam by the boat. Once he left, fishing returned to normal. They are there.
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Quiet Reply with quote

Awfully quiet out there. Has the recession got you all depressed? What the hell, we've been through worse and survived. Buck up and let's hear a little infield chatter.

What the weather outlook for opening week? Clark, do you have any info? Any new regulations this year?
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that it is colder in Chi-town than in Cass today.

Grouch, you get hit with any of that Indana storm in the S burbs?
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grouch,
No new regs as far as I know. I have a felling it's going to be an early ice out, about 2 foot of ice under the snow, unless we get a warm up and the snow melts and then supper cold again.
Let's hope it goes early - better chance of getting shinners for opener.

Clark
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: South Sub. Snow Reply with quote

Gene: We didn't even get a measurable amount of snow this week. All to the east of where I live. Got some work to do to my GPS before season, it broke down last year (October). I sent it back to Lowrance and paid $200 to get it replaced. When I got it back - Guess what - no more waypoints. I have a record of 90% of them so I need to sit down, out on the driveway and re-program the damn thing.

Ah, for the good old days when there were no electronics to mess with your mind. You are old enough to remember that??
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes I am...and I still got an anchor rope with big knots in it every foot as the ol' manual depth finder.

And I don't know how to use them flashers, or do anything with my Eagle FishId 'cept get a depth reading. That GPS thing just seems to take too much time playing around for me but I suppose I should start doing that so I can learn how to get back to my super-secret Rockie hotspot.

And what about us being spoiled these days with electric trolling motors? I still remember rowing my sister and grandma out to the middle of the bay and us catching a bunch of fish and me dropping the basket over the side when we got ready to leave and having to row all the way back to the cabin, crying all the way, then having to row back out with my Dad to try to scrape bottom with a big ol' lure with treble hooks to try and hook the basket of fish -- NO LUCK that time.
Any youz guyz remember the good ol' days before run'n'gun?
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, I used to row my Dad around the shoreline, ALL around the shoreline, as a watching/learning scenario and remember he would bit** at me for dipping the oars too deep and making noise with them. I really appreciate my electric trolling motor now AND sooo does Karen, my guide/would be rower. Whats with this single paddle put in boats for emergencies. I cannot seem to do much with that but I carry a 16' put together pole for pushing, works great. No oar locks anymore except with little row boats.

As far as depth finder, old rod and reel with knots at one foot intervals worked great but usually just hit bottom and came up with your bait a couple of cranks on the reel when still fishing.

Now, anybody else remember "bailing" out water from your leaky wooden boat. We always had a Hills Bros. coffee can with us as well as an old real sponge and towel to soak what was left. My other duty as rower.

How about steel rods or split bamboo, if you could afford them, and non level wind reels. What fun that was when you bait casted all the time.

Now its just scan with your sonar, move around slowly with the electric trolling motor and bail with an electric switch but I still get occasional backlashes with these state of the art reels.

Ah yes, the good old days. I think not but we sure are soft now a days and its WAY more fun now to be able to just FISH.

Any and all rebuttals are accepted. Bob
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, losing the basket over the side reminds me of a story. Years ago we were sitting at the bar at Toms. Two guys we knew pulled in. One guy was soaking wet. When they got out of the boat they had a stringer with HUGE northerns on it. Story goes, when they were putting the last one on the stringer, a fish jumped, and the guy lost his grip, dropping the WHOLE stringer and all the fish overboard. He said there was no way he was going to lose all the beautiful fish, so he dove over. He said it took him 4 or 5 trys to find them, but he did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: