Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Water levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Water levels Reply with quote

Clark, Beef and others; although we are still 5-6 weeks from our annual trip to Cass/Kitchi we are wondering how the lake levels are. Are the dam officials in any way trying to keep lake levels good or concentrating on down river as usual? How does it look for late August?

Really doesn't matter though; although we like higher levels for better structure we just adapt to whatever it is. It does however make getting in and out from the pier a little better as well as our getting in and out of Pug Hole better.

Stay safe guys and have a great fishing season ahead. Bob T.
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I don't know about the water levels at present but if you are staying at the "SHOE" you won't have a problem getting in
and out of the harbor. Clark took care of that during the winter.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the problems other states along the Miss. with flooding, I would think the dams are closed or close to it, to limit the amount of water heading down stream.
IAfishgal
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my dad said that he had talked to Clark about that last week while we were there. I believe he said that when all the flooding was going on in Iowa, the dam was wide open. I could be wrong on that, but I think that is what he said.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't doubt it. How does the old saying go "the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing"
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got in touch with Luke Rutten, hydrologist for the forest service, late yesterday afternoon. They have closed all but 2 gates on the dam, he also said he is trying to maintain the water level we have now. I did not ask him why the gates were wide open during the flooding down south, I would assume that is/was up to the Army Corps of Engineeres.

We are a tad bit above normal now so we'll see how well they maintain the level for August.

Clark
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake levels a little higher than normal. That's good news for a change. Been a while since you've seen summer pool levels up at this time of year. Can't wait to get up there in mid-September and see what the muskies think about that! Shocked
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly Mark and thanks much Clark for the real up to date information. Getting anxious and our hot weather and no rain is wearing on me but fishing here is pretty good early in the mornings. Thanks for all who responded. Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: