Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Feb 15th through yesterday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Feb 15th through yesterday Reply with quote

Wow has it been busy. Fighting mother nature and mechanical problems has taken its toll.
With Dave and his family of 22 rolling in on friday it was nice to see them as they are just good people with great attitudes about fishing..Out of all the weekends this year, we had our poorest fishing Crying or Very sad I guess its just the way it goes. Theres no sense in even breaking down each house as they were all poor.
On a good note Jeff from agassiz hit the mother load and figures there were close to 200 crappies caught in one area.
Saturday I was able to spend a little time fishing with Dave and a couple of the other guys from his crew. We were fishing north of our houses and managed 3 walleyes while to the west they were pounding the crappies.
Keith headed home sunday with 13. Jonny boy had the firefighters up with hard houses and after catching some fish with at least 6 crappies they made the big move on sunday morning and proceeded to pound the walleyes.
Sunday was a whole different story with all the house re rented and such poor fishing I was determined to get as many houses on fresh spots as possible. Watching the weather report my understanding was 5 to 10 miles an hour wind with NW 10 to 15 in the afternoon. Spending half the morning prepping a new area with the red baron I headed in to get blue thunder while Jonny boy cleaned up the houses and took care of his clients.
My plans were to move the houses in order. Florida was first followed by montana, Old minnesota was next when the wind started to pick up and the snow flurries started to come down. That's when Dave,Dao and Ann showed up. I got them set up in arizona and Homer,Angel and Gary? showed up for alaska. With there help my plans changed and I move there house with there help. Now the wind was really starting to pick up when the crew for florida,montana and old minnesota rolled into town to meet at the westwind and tip back a few and I do mean a few. Now the wind is howling 30 miles a hour and its a complete whiteout when I get a call from Jonny boy and he can not see a thing at 6 miles in the red baron and I need the auger? I told him to stay there and I would come to him. He was happy to see me until I said we were heading back to the houses to get them augured? Now the crew at westwind has had more then enough and are waiting at our home Shocked Now its getting dark and all the roads are blowing in with Jonny boy leading and Jeff following me we headed home . Some dude with a broken boss vplow has came down Jeffs road and piles snow on both side of the road creating a perfect channel for the blowing snow to get caught in. Jonny boy is freaking out trying to see and pushing all that fresh snow with the vplow again making the berms a little taller for more snow to get captured in then jeff is behind me doing the same thing.
We finally get home at 8pm and get all the guys in there vehicles. 5 trucks in all and again head out to get them to there houses. I again take the lead and have no choice but to have the plow down creating even bigger berms? What a mess. Upon arriving at the fish houses Kellie and I just wanted to get home so off we go again . We pulled in to the driveway after midnight. With nothing to eat all day I ate a piece of chesse and slapped another piece between two pieces of bread ate 3 bites and went to bed. What a day.
Sunday morning and Jeff heads out in the grey goose to open up a trail . Time I get the red baron loaded up and remove the ton of ice and snow he has arrived out to his houses. I head out and here comes the dude with the broken vplow hauling a 28 foot ice castle. He has the hammer down ,a panicked look in his face and again making a mess of things and I have to pull over to let him get by, Then a mile or so later all the firefighters come by along with every other fishermen. At 7 miles there's a 10 foot wide fish house in the middle of the road with no wheel? How can it get any worse? I get around him "no one there" get out to our customers and get a phone call there's someone stranded. When I arrive the guys with the 10 foot house are wedged in a 8 foot wide road. After getting them unburied they put the hammer down and again fill the road with snow as they baha to shore.
Now to top it off I get back out to our houses yesterday and proceed to break a drive shaft in the red baron. I spend the rest of the day out there cleaning up and get home at 7pm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: