Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Anniversary Muskie opener

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Anniversary Muskie opener Reply with quote

Well, with all this talk about the opener at Cass I asked my fishing partner where she wanted to go for our 42nd anniversary and naturally she said "Muskie fishing of course". What a gal!!! We finally have great spring weather with the temperatures in the 80"s, sunshine, and the water temp. today was 59. Hardly any boat traffic. Reservoir is full with plenty of cover along the shores. We fished hard from about 8:00 to 1:00 and had many follows, but could not turn even one into a strike. One looked like a 40" class fish and I did a figure 8 and he kept circling over and over but would not convert and finally swam off. They were very lethargic and moving real slow. Water temp. maybe? Even had on our Cass lake crazies hat on but didn't help. Still it was great just to be on the water and see so many and have so many follows. Used small spinnerbaits, suspending jointed Rapalas and a soft plastic jerk bait. Fished slow. So..... what do all you pros like to do in this case. I understand if you do not want to "give it up" Makes me try harder to figure 'em out. Our best success has been later on in the summer with water temps. in the high 60's and 70's. Boat shakedown went fine also. Even made a pusher pole for getting into Cass from Pug Hole in Sept. Really hope for everybody we won't need it but its really nice for moving along the shore with complete stealth. Now for the finishing touch. Pizza, beer and whatever I can work out with the fishing partner. Very Happy Good luck to all with your openers, wherever that is.

Last edited by Bob Thompson on Tue May 01, 2007 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, sounds like you had the right idea. A couple of things I like to do if I have a lot of follows and no strikes: #1. Fish deeper(early in the year), you are bringing the bait in slower, but try counting down and bring it in a little lower in the water, and #2. Immediately after you have a follow and she does not strike, pick up your other pole with a different lure on it and throw it out in about the same spot. For whatever reason, throwing a totally different lure out, sometimes triggers strikes. Give it a try, hey if it helps, that's what it is all about. I really don't believe on holding any secrets back, Muskies are finicky enough. Hope you get 'em,

Colonel Ron, Guide
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know next to nothing about musky fishing, but after watching musky shows on TV, I have to agree with Ron. Try switching baits. On TV, I have seen that work. Something totally opposite of what you are using.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the comments above. Especially about fishing over deeper water. Seems like everyone is targeting fish in water shallower than 8 feet in the spring... and lots of muskies seem to hang out in the shallows this time of year. But I've always had a hard time converting shallower fish into biters in the spring. They like to hang out there, but they aren't eating. At least they're not eating my baits! Rolling Eyes Seems like they're more inclined to eat when they've moved out of skinny water out over a deeper drop-off. ?? Just a theory.

And believe it or not, as much as everyone says fish smaller/fish slower in the spring, I've ended up catching a few fish in cold water with a Jackpot or really cranking a bucktail or big spinnerbait. Defies standard logic, but it's worked for me.

Percentage wise though, I still think you should pick out a small lure, and then before you tie it on... pick out a lure even smaller. Lot's of bass/walleye/crappie guys catching muskies around here in the spring while fishing little bitty bass cranks, spinnerbaits, and jig-pig combos. While us muskie guys, who are fishing our "small" muskie baits (small bucktails, twitch baits, plastics) are seeing followers or nothing at all.

Glad to hear you got out and fished Bob. Great to see reports from all over the country. Good luck your next time out!
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm listening and that was what the soft plastic was for, a throwback bait. Its what he circled around several times. I really agree with Col Ron and MM about deeper water and I have a theory on why. From reading about Tiger Muskys, although they are neutral sex hybrids and cannot spawn they go through the process of spawning and naturally that means migrating to shallow water cover as their regular cousins do. I believe that as many fish, while they are in the "active" process of simulated spawning they are off the feed wagon as MM said was his experience. Sound logical? More than likely the ones in deeper water have not gone into that mode yet and are actively feeding. I know by experience when in shallow water cover (brush and small trees) later in the season they are ravinous on the panfish there and attack almost anything. Most of mine came at that time. I will definately try the deeper water and specifically the dropoffs into deep water (12' +) next time out, probably with the new moon in two weeks. I don't know how long the spawn will last but going back to Musky biology 101 and try and find out. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks again all. Love this forum and all you guys. Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: