Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Trouble starting an outboard
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Trouble starting an outboard Reply with quote

H-E-L-P !!!

Every year I fire up my outboards in the Spring to make sure they are in working condition IN CASE I might want to use them. Haven't had to in about 4-5 yrs or so.

This year my 9.2hp Ward's Sea King (about 30 yrs old) would not turn over. I tried waiting (in case it was flooded), new plugs, and the plugs from my 15hp that did start and all I got for about 1 1/2 hrs of pulling the starting rope was a blister. It never seemed to be getting gas but I could see the gas spurt into the choke area so I know that wasn't it. Possibly it was bad gas? But I switched to the tank that started the 15 and still no luck.

Any ideas on what it could be? My buddy says maybe it's the "points". Anybody else got any bright ideas why it won't turnover?
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 1: Loosen the connection bolts, hook it up to the truck, drive down the road and let it fall off, claim it on your insurance....

Option 2: Get a helper, take the spark plug out and hold against the metal part of the motor with the plug cap connected, have some else turn the ignition like you are trying to start and see if you are getting spark arcing from the plug across the gap....If so, it is not the points, if not, it is/could be....

Texan
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another idea, the same thing I do to my Gas Pressure Washer which I start only about once a year. Take the spark plug out, spray Ether in the chamber, put the spark plug back in, it should fire right up. May have to do it two times to "get the juices flowing".

Col Ron, Guide
Your full service guide!!
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, along with the other suggestions which are quite right I would rather use a squirt bottle and gasoline into the spark plug hole; less explosive. I have seen head gaskets blown when too much ether is used. Also if the engine fires and then quits, several times might be needed, as the Col said, but if it does not keep running after several tries cleaning the carburator idle jets might be needed which requires pulling the float bowl and a bit of knowledge to do so. You might want to check the water flow for cooling while you're at it by making sure water comes out of the pee hole up near the cylinder head, and never fire an outboard without having water into it, it will cook the water pump impeller, which is rubber, in short time. I also like to add Stabil gas preserver each fall to the gas as it keeps gas from forming gum which clogs the jets. Let us know how you make out and if we can be any more help.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is the motor you offered to sell me last year? I will still take it, and to show you I'm a nice guy, I will give you 15.00 for it. But, if you turn down my offer, do this. First, do what texan said. The thing is, when you do this, you need a GOOD spark, not a weak one. Good spark ok, weak spark, that is your problem. Time to pull the fly wheel. Next, considering you have a good spark, and this engine has a carb, shoot some gas straight into the carb. It should start. If it does, but won't continue to run, then you have a plugged fuel line some where. If the spark is weak, on the top of the fly wheel, there may be a inspection plate, very small. Take it off, pull the plugs off, and slowly turn the fly wheel. Look for cracks in the coils. The coils will look kinda like plastic. Any crack at all, and they need to be replaced.. If all else fails, bring it over to my house, with a case of Miller Lite, and we can look at it together.

Last edited by ffishman on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
vitt
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me tell you everything I know about this topic.
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never would have thought about that Vitt.....you the man Cool

Texan
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If things go bad, and we get crocked, bring a box,so you can take all of your parts home.
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it falling off the boat during a road trip is the easiest out.....

Texan
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Ff, $15 is a heck of an offer....I only had to consider it for about 1 SECOND! Yes, this is the motor I would have sold to you IF IT WORKED. You and me just may have to spend a Sat with that case of Lite you have on order. Or I can drop it off with you on May 3 and you can play with it to your little heart's desire - one thing I know you do have is time, right?

Tex, I like the way you think (insurance).....but I think the FMV is only about $100 anyway - dang depreciation. I have heard before about that "sparc" idea but I just don't know how to do it without shocking myself into the next county.

Bob, thanks for not letting me blow myself up with ether as the so-called "full service guide" tried to do to me. (not to worry, I had the motor in water in a drum)

Vitt, the only thing not working any better than my 9.2 is the Flubs. At least you do know something about the Cards/Cubs - and it looks like I'll be buying that beer for you at our PHole luncheon (don't tell me, you want Bud right?).
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha. I have LESS to say about outboard motor maintenance and diagnostics than vitt does! That response was classic vitt! Laughing

The conversation does bring back great memories for me though. That's the same make/model outboard that my grandpa used to drag up to the ol' Call of the North resort years and years ago. 9.2 Hp Sea King. That thing was always reliable too. Until we accidentally dropped it in the drink (on the Mississip) under Knutson Dam. Poor ol' girl. We pulled her up within 3 minutes... but being completely submerged must have scared some of the spark out of her...
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM,
It is not uncommon for us to make a sacrifice to Goombali (the Fish God) either. BUT an outboard is a little over the (side?) top for even us. That story reminds me of the time a few yrs ago we were trying to put my buddy's 30 hp onto the back of our rental rowboat with one foot on the dock and one foot in the boat and yep, you guessed it, there was just enough slack in both front and back ropes to have the boat start slipping away from the dock and me and him almost fell in with the motor - that was a CLOSE CALL for sure. That 30hp is one heavy mutha.

BRIGHT IDEA NUMBER 8: Maybe I was trying to start it while in gear and it needs to be started in neutral???????? Nah!
vitt
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene its a little early to concede anything. The Cardinals are not playing any better. I prefer Miller light by the way. I am not picking though, will drink any domestic light.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, ffish had some excellant ideas also and I would listen to him. Bright idea # 8 is usual. Not to make too light a matter of this but you still evidently have the problem. The Col was not wrong in the use of ether but it is a better cold weather starting product as it vaporizes at a much lower temp. I've used it quite a bit in the winter. I like ffish"s ideas a bunch with one extra thought; always start with the simple things first, spark check (use a new plug), gasoline flow to carbs (take off from carb or engine and squize primer bulb to check flow), make sure gasoline if volitile but putting a match to a very small amount in a safe place. Then progress to more technical things. And as a help get one of your gearhead friends to help with the free beer suggestion but work on it FIRST!!!! Good luck my friend and stay safe.
Nevadafisherman
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

You and I think a lot a like...since we both evidently love the cubs (losers)...so do what I would do....find a hammer and keep hitting it until it starts....seems to work for me.

Tim Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: