Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Miss. river fishing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Miss. river fishing Reply with quote

As some of you know by now I grew up in N. Illinois and did quite a bit of river fishing. On my yearly trips to Cass I have been wanting to fish the Mississsippi (enough s's ?) river between lake Bemidji and Winnie. but after posting here I believe there is not much use in trying to launch a boat so I'd at least like to do some bank fishing. While googleing up some areial photos I saw what looked like some open spots in a few different places at or near the end of some gravel roads. A couple north of Power dam road between Bemidji and Pike hole and some between Pennignton and Winnie. Can anybody tell me if these are all private or if there are any public areas to fish at. I have seen, all over Minnesota, little remote parks on many rivers. It really makes a nice little retreat for a few hours of fishing and a tailgate lunch especially if you have some brats and brew. A good retreat from the tournament days in Sept. when I'll be there. Thanks much for any responses. Bob
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: river Reply with quote

I've fished the Miss above Andrusia (early spring) It's shallow but you can take a boat up to Wolf Lake. Never caught any big fish but it was really quiet. I think you would be disappointed in Sept because most fish are in the lakes. Maybe some small panfish
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate to say this Mn, Cass, is changing as is everywhere else. You have to be careful where you leave your vehicle. Theft is getting bad. Used to be, you could find a remote spot, park you car and walk the bank a couple of miles fishing. Well you can still do that, but when you get back to your car you may find it has been broken into. More people in Wis have been reporting their cars and cabins have been robbed. A few years ago while at cass in Sept a couple of our guys launched their boat on the far side of Pikes. Luckly when they returned, everything was ok. Back at the resort, we found out that is a favorite spot of theives. So, if you go to a remote spot, watch your back.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I am aware of parking anywhere and leaving your vehicle unattended. Seems to be getting worse too. I was just looking for, as I suggested, a small, out of the way pulloff by the river. I'm going to go driving around this year and maybe I'll find that perfect spot. I've got a couple of places to look at from google areial photos. Bob
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to put in at Knutson dam at the Call of the North Resort (now a private residence). And I doubt there's a ramp at the public lake/river fishing park on the S. side of the Dam. But you could look into it.

Either way, we used to have some of the most memorable trips fishing the river between the dam... almost all the way to Winnie. Unbelievable scenery and some great fishing for Pike and Rock Bass. Caught the occasional largemouth and walleye in there too. Oddly enough, I never raised a muskie anywhere in that stretch of the river in all the years of fishing it. And I know they have to be there. Never figured that one out. Confused

If you can find any way to fish the river, it would probably be a great trip. But easy and/or safe access is a big question mark.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

When I take my bike out for a good work out, I pedal over to the road to Pennington and go north, from Hwy 2. The first hard road that you come to, I have no idea the name or number, I take a right. From Hwy 2, it is probably about a mile. If you follow that really good road east, it will eventually get you to Lake Winnie. But, before you get to lake Winnie, you cross over the Mississippi where the river is fairly wide, about 40 feet across. You cannot launch a boat there, however you could easily drop a canoe in there.

Col Ron
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col Ron, and others, thanks much. Col, thats just what I was looking for. I don't plan on any boating at all just a nice stretch of the river where I can bank fish a small stretch and be able to park, and run the pup along with a tailgate lunch. Maybe I should pack my mountain bike this year, but I'm not really looking for a workout. Its all about relaxing. Hopefully, this year my workout will be hauling in a big boy. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: