Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Favorite type of Fish "Breading"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Favorite type of Fish "Breading"? Reply with quote

Just curious, what is your favorite breading for fish. My first choice is "Legendary Northwoods", and my second choice is "Shore Lunch". Mr. Green
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: home made Reply with quote

1 large box of Bisquick, salt, pepper and a bit of Oregeno. Dump some Bisquick in a paper bag add the ingredients to yopur taste and Go!
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have several favorites, "Louisiana Fish Fry" is up there You don't dip it in egg with that one. The Texan got us hooked on Panko. You will find it in the oriental section, it is also very good, crisp, and light.

One of my old time favorites, which we used to do at a resort in Bemidji, called the "Blue Ox", (no longer there), we used to 1. dip the fish fillet in flour first, shake off all the excess, 2. dip in beaten egg and a little milk mixture, then roll it in the finely crushed saltines. Man, they come out of the fryer crisp and taste great. The real trick is to put them on a draining rack, not paper towels immediately after you cook them and leave them on the rack ( oven on very low heat while you are cooking) until you eat them. This keeps the oil from making the fillets greasy.
Getting hungry!!

Col Ron
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col Ron,

Try mixing in some crushed Ritz crackers with the saltines.

Clark
Scott
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you guys don't mind, I changed the title of this post to something that made more sense to me at first glance. After Ron's post of a complaint, I thought I read this title as "BreEding"...as in mom and dad doing...well...

Anyway...I hope no harm is done with the title change. It was mostly for me.

Oh, and I like Shore Lunch only because I've never tried much else.

I'm usually a pretty good cook, but I've never been able to correctly cook fish.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark, not a bad idea. The Bemidji recipe was from the owner, John Kovach, who is responsible for me being a fishing nut all these years-John grew up in Whiting, Indiana, with my fothers generation. I learned a lot from him. He was a great fisherman.
Those days, all you needed was a "Lazy Ike" a 5 1/2 horsepower motor, and a big net. The resort, Blue Ox, used to be about where that huge home is with the magnificent eagle out front, next lot south of there.

Scott, and others, try that Panko for breading!!!

Col Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains a lot Scott. When I saw the heading, I thought, "did I write that, and forgot what I did"? My mind is really going, lol. Some of those reciepes sound good. May have to try them. If you guys have never tried that Legendary Northwoods stuff, give it a try its really good. They don't sell it everywhere, you have to do a web search to find where they do. I get mine from Shirleys Sporting goods, which is closing. Dang. Mr. Green
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panko for sure...

Texan
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old standby is bread crumbs after having dipped the filets in an egg and milk batter. I haven't tried too many store bought brands - one I use alot is Golden Dipt which I like when baking the fish, especially cats. But the overall winner with our group is ShoreLunch - everyone likes it when I deep-fry 'em in that brand.
I will keep my eye out for Legendary and Panko now though.
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

Will have it up there in June, it is basically chinese bread crumbs are they are mighty fine!!!! If you like more of a crunch with your filets...

Now we tried some eyes just dredged in flour and cooked in a brown butter sauce in a skillet, was prety dang good as well!!!

Texan
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awright, just what the heck is "brown" butter?

Hey, Carpy, you out there?
I know you must have a heck of a recipe for fried fish????? And I'm thinking about making me some type of fish-soup OR fish-gumbo...you know, with all those Rockies that Ff didn't want. Got a recipe for that??? PLEASE?

But I'm a real dumb-cluck so you gotta really spell it out for me.
"Add such and such of this
and mix so much of that
then stir it 3thousand times, not 2999 and not 3001,
then boil it for 5 minutes and not a second longer
and then........."
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

Mely a stcik of butter over medium heat, keep cookling it until it turns light brown in color, then drop the fillets in there and let 'er rip!!!!

be careful not to go too fast or you will have burnt butter in lieu of brown butter!!! Cool

Texan
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mely a WHOLE stcik"????
Ok, I get it now, brown is just a lighter shade of burnt.

PS My grannie always said, if you can't be careful, be good!
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: fish breading Reply with quote

I would have to second or third the panko, just watch your oil temp as the crumbs have honey as an ingredient so it will burn real fast if you let your oil get too high. Our crew started using a breading call Mies, you have to google it or 1-800-480-6437, they are restuarant suppliers so you do buy in bulk. 30#'s goes along ways, so you must split the order up between 6 guys, $7-$8 each for 5#'s. Try soaking your fillets in Liennie's red for a bit, drain, then shake in a sack of mies and into the peanut oil, you can also coat your potato wedges the same way. Good eats! A good idea for a shore lunch is to get a metal coffee can and put two small holes near the top (opposite sides) to run a wire through to form a handle. Add a few pounds of crisco or lard, put the lid on and keep in your boat. When you go to shore, take off lid and put can over fire till all heated up and add you fillets, when done, use a stick to grap can handle and set in cool shallow water till set back up, put lid on till the next shore lunch! Even if it tips over, you won't have a problem.
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang good idea Chomper, problem is all our "shore" lunches seem to take place at the Pike Hole...

Texan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: