Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Eating Walleye on ice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: eating walleye Reply with quote

you can not possess a walleye fillet on the water/ice on waters with a size restriction. This seems pretty clear to me. I know it is hard to understand the logic, but Mille Lacs has had a slot size restriction for several years, so most people have been hearing about the regs for many years. Put yourself in the CO's shoes, how can you enforce this fairly? My guess is that he is not going to give that much as to take the word of a resort owner. Remember, even cleaning your fish on shore, leaving a 1 square inch patch of skin, and putting them into a cooler and to the back of your truck...driving out to your house is illegal. Use a freezer service, or leave them whole.
LABS4ME
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an e-mail right from the Biologist for Red Lake: I emailed him this morning, and recieved this for a reply:

"You are 100% correct in your interpretation of the rule that deals with cleaning fish on the ice. See page 10-11 of the 2006 Minnesota Fishing Regulations synopsis for the language that covers any waters/species with a size restriction. This definitely applies to Red with the walleye slot, as well as LOW, Mille Lacs, etc. Technically, it also applies to any lake in the state when it comes to walleye and northern pike since there is a statewide "one-over" rule for those species (one over 20" per day for walleye and one over 30" per day for pike). I know the CO's will enforce the one-over rules, so I assume they will enforce the intact fish rule as well - especially if they see a fish they are unable to measure because it was cleaned and/or eaten. So for Red Lake, anglers are pretty much limited to crappie and perch if they want to clean/eat them on the ice, although if they are lucky enough to catch a whitefish or burbot, they could eat those as well."

So do as you will... I won't be possessing any walleye fillets on Red. I know in a past discussion on LOW, this topic came up with a CO and I was told that it would be illegal to clean walleyes in a sleeper and eat them. Even if the carcasses are available for measurement. I've also been told by other rental outfits that this will be enforced this year on Red.

Good Luck!

Ken
Pray for the fish
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been told it is even illegal to freeze the fish whole body intact on the ice since they cannot be measured exactly when frozen solid. Just more info for you to chew on. Rolling Eyes
ruger1
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked with a local CO last night. Shore lunching is perfectly legal. You cannot however, fillet your fish on shore and bring the fillets back to your house.

Not a big deal. A winter picnic in the lot of the resort this weekend it is. I persoanlly do not see the difference, but I guess they have to draw a line in the sand somewhere.
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to eat your walleye on shore!!! plain and simple.......and when you are done eating them as soon as 12:01 am hits you can keep 2 more walleyes!!!!
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Maybe we can do that Reply with quote

Maybe we can do that and have the picnic up on shore. I can ask West Wind if we can use the area up at the shoreline where we go out on the ice.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the weather is nice enough you can have a bon fire and picknick down on our shoreline Jim.plenty of parking right down on the lake Cookie
shorty
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering does a walleye shrink in lenght when you have it out on red lake for a day? What do co's say about this??? I clean my fish right away after fishing for the day but I guese I would be wrong to go back out on the lake if I were out on red???
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: bonfire??? Reply with quote

You know, that sounds good too! I did not even think of that, but would add to the ambiance having a fire going that people can walk up to and get warmed up. Do you have some firewood to purchase or should I pick some up? We have a cook grill coming up and plenty of food stuff for our group and maybe the other group would like to share the time??? Do I remember seeing tables up there also?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: