Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
How protected are the crappies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: How protected are the crappies? Reply with quote

Here's a prime example of the how hush hush it can be for the elusive mother load.Dan wanted to fish for crappie so I gave him directions to an area that has produced a few crappies. Now remember a couple is over 2 and a few is anywhere from 9 to over 20 Shocked. After giving him instructions he was off.I new I should of drove out there when he was fishing but I did not Sad .He ended up landing a couple 6. Now that eve I say ok heres the deal where were you at Question First he did not want to say a thing as he is planning on making another trip up here.This is what I ended up getting out of him There were not many houses out that far and I set up between two of them?Wow I guess the best advice I can give is go way out,don't fish near any other houses and move ,move ,move.There were atleast 15 houses spread all over the snowy landscape when I drove back out there? I guess its time to invest in a gps and some reading glasses so I can read it :shock:Good luck and remember the rule of thumb the further you are from other fishermen the better your odds are of catching a couple of crappie
Pray for the fish
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crappies out in that "neck of the woods" are definately showing up in better numbers. One of those houses out there caught 12 yesterday Very Happy . Of course by the time I went fishing at 7 pm it was over. But I did lose one in the hole Sad They said they caught their last one at 6 pm, so it appears to be an afternoon bite.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again are job here is to keep it hush hush and save the fish for our customers. Barb at westwind also said they had more then a couple come in the last 2 days.Remember over crowding drives the crappies to new locations,there are miles of open ice out there. When you stand there and take it all in its amazing you can catch any fish when your covering 8 inches per hole.
Pray for the fish
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thats not very hush hush when you say someone caught 6 and westwind says more are being caught. O rmaybe they caught many more and you say they caught only 6. Or maybe its all just fisherman talk and nobody really got any Shocked Or maybe I should just have another cup of shut the hell up and get back to work Twisted Evil
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all in fun Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing is for sure, if we don't find the mother lode of crappies(or if we do) someone on the other website will be sure to tell us the gory details of when,where and how many they got after the bite is over. And also a big thanks given to everyone involved who kept their mouths shut Rolling Eyes
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: crappie protection? Reply with quote

I really do not think Red Lake is over fished or has a fishing pressure that will harm the real population of fish. The natural turn of events will take it's toll on the bigger ones over the next few years just with age of fish and the rebuilding of the walleye population. Just be glad they have not thought about stocking Muskie in the lake as it changes the other populations quite a bit. That was evident in the stocking of the metro lakes and other species have been adversly affected by them. As for the original subject of fish stories...try not putting too much worth in them unless they can back it up with pictures and the bucket of fish in front of you. Talking up a rental or resort can be profitable for them, after all, who would go rent if there are no fish? As Forest Gump would say-"that's all I've got to say about that!"
Bigdog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: crappie protection? Reply with quote

Jim Davidson wrote:
I really do not think Red Lake is over fished or has a fishing pressure that will harm the real population of fish. The natural turn of events will take it's toll on the bigger ones over the next few years just with age of fish and the rebuilding of the walleye population. Just be glad they have not thought about stocking Muskie in the lake as it changes the other populations quite a bit. That was evident in the stocking of the metro lakes and other species have been adversly affected by them. As for the original subject of fish stories...try not putting too much worth in them unless they can back it up with pictures and the bucket of fish in front of you. Talking up a rental or resort can be profitable for them, after all, who would go rent if there are no fish? As Forest Gump would say-"that's all I've got to say about that!"
Another misinformed fisherman when it comes to the introduction of the predatory monster the muskie. The top five walleye lakes in minnesota all have muskies in them. I don't know if you have noticed or not but url is one of the best big pike fisherys in the state. How do you explain the come back of the walleye with all of them toothy critters in there? Don't blame the introduction of muskies into a lake for the declining populations of other fish. It is only a myth. Fisherman do far greater damage to a lakes fish population than the hated muskie. Save a walleye eat a muskie. Wink
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Don't get me wrong Reply with quote

Do not get me wrongly. I do know that fishing pressure is a big thing on any lake. Just do not believe that Red Lake gets that much pressure as our metro area lakes. As for the Muskie thing...ask anyone that fished a lake before the muskie were introduced and several years afterward and see what they have noticed. Maybe not entirely the muskie intro, but that is what years of fishing a lake have shown us that do fish regularly over many years on the same bodies of water. Just an angler's observation and results of years of talking with anglers in my area have taught me. So, if you only go by detailed info, then go by the DNR statements. I will follow the results in my livewell to see how the affects of introduction of a species changes the other species already in a lake. As for big waters, that is another story in itself, as there are plenty of places for all species to survive, I am talking about the metro area lakes that are not huge by any means that they have stocked the muskie for those sportsmen that need something bigger on their line than a good sized crappie or sunny. Sorry, but I believe that the introduction was wrong and stand by my conviction. I do not need DNR stats to tell me what I see everyday when I fish a lake that has gone through this change over the years. Sorry, but I am a self educated fisherman that does not rely on stats to watch a lake, my experiences over the years is good enough for me.
shaky legs 2
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

I agree with you. If you compare the size of many of the metro lakes (besides Minnetonka) with the size of URL and then factor in the number of people fishing there is many more fisherpeople per acre on Metro Lakes. I also agree with you about muskies. If you stock muskies in Mille Lacs or Minnetonka, they have many acres to roam where they are limited to where they can go in smaller metro lakes. A good example is Lake Independence near Maple Plain. This was a premier metro walleye lake from the mid 80's to the mid 90's. This was during the drought years and muskies had not taken a big foothold yet. Now the walleye population is starting to come back a little (thanks to every year stocking) but not like it was back then. Another factor could be the introduction of Milfoil into the lake which gives the fish more areas to hide but I doubt this is the only answer. It is not uncommon to hook a muskie on Independence when you are fishing in traditional areas that once held walleyes and I have witnessed musky grabbing walleyes as they are being reeled in.
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Right on! Reply with quote

That is another item we have to contend with is the spread of other species of aquatic plants and unwanted parasites. I hope that everyone does the cleaning after leaving the waters each time and it is already too late for many lakes as they have been detected with the unwanteds. Well, at least like it was stated, the fish have new hiding places and we have to find other ways to catch them.
JTucker
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Muskies Reply with quote

I think the dnr went a little over board on the muskie stocking though. Seems like they want them on every lake nowa days.
Jim Davidson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Funny how they do that! Reply with quote

The DNR with the asking by some sportsmen groups and a lot of talking did stock quite a few lakes with Muskie. I just wonder if they are keeping tabs on the effects a few years down the road? I see no reason to introduce a species so a few "big fish fanatics" can have fun catching them and the rest of us "normal" anglers are left with stunted crappie and sunnies. To each their own...just leave my crappie and sunnies lakes alone! So what if I can go right outside my house and catch a 45 inch Muskie...I'd rather catch 10 crappie 9-12 inches!!!
JTucker
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: crappie protection? Reply with quote

Another misinformed fisherman when it comes to the introduction of the predatory monster the muskie. The top five walleye lakes in minnesota all have muskies in them.
I think Upper Red is one of the top five walleye lakes and it doesnt have muskies in it. I wonder how good the other walleye lakes would be if they didnt have muskies. I wonder if the dnr would stock more crappies and walleyes in more lakes around the state if we asked.
Bigdog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: crappie protection? Reply with quote

JTucker wrote:
Another misinformed fisherman when it comes to the introduction of the predatory monster the muskie. The top five walleye lakes in minnesota all have muskies in them.
I think Upper Red is one of the top five walleye lakes and it doesnt have muskies in it. I wonder how good the other walleye lakes would be if they didnt have muskies. I wonder if the dnr would stock more crappies and walleyes in more lakes around the state if we asked.
I agree that red is probably in the top five in the state. But you would also have to agree that red is probably one of the best Northern fishing lakes in the state. Probably more large northerns caught there than just about any lake in the state. And yet all of these walleye fingerlings managed to survive and grow into adult fish that make it one of the top lakes for walleyes. What was the demise of the red lake walleye? Oh yah it was over fishing and nets. Not the esox predator. Hmmm Maybe we should take a look in the mirror before we blame a single predatoy fish for ones lack of fishing skill or to much fishing pressure. Save a walleye eat a muskie. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: