Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Fresh Report 12-15-06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Fresh Report 12-15-06 Reply with quote

Just got back from the lake. Decided to give the big lake a try today and started in close, 7 feet of water. 18 inches of ice!! Quite a few permanents out there and 3-4 pickups. Missed a couple flags and fish on the rods in close so we decided to go exploring. Went out 2 miles and there was still 13 inches of ice. Fished about 10.5 feet of water and between two of us we got a 16.5" eye and two 14" eyes. My buddy also caught a 5 pound northern on a rod and a 6 pound northern on a tip-up. Overall, was a fun day on the lake. I was really suprised at the ice thickness out far, but there were still a few people out farther even. Good luck this weekend anyone who makes the trip.
philarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: red Lakes Reply with quote

Went to Red Lake this morning out of Rogers Resort (1/2 mile out 9-10 feet of water. Ice about 10-11 inches 1 truck out their mostly atv's. I was with two buddies. We started fishing @ 9:00 am and caught 2- 11-12 inch walleyes let them go. Caught a 17.5 one around 11:45 (let it go) They kept saying it gets better around 12:00. All together I caught 8 walleyes from 9:00 am t0 5:30 pm my buddies caught one. We kept only 4. 3 were between 17"-19" the rest were below 17 inches. Best bite was from 3:30-pm-until 5:30. Most people I talked to were getting between 2-4 fish . I came home tonight they are sleeping up their right now. I hope they do better in the am.
wallygator
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to check those slot regulations there !!! im pretty sure any fish between 17-19 needs to go back in the water !!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Idea
philarmagic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure I know the regulations!!!!! All walleyes between 17-26" have to go back. WE only kept fish under 17". Laughing
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: slot Reply with quote

I caught 8 walleyes from 9:00 am t0 5:30 pm my buddies caught one. We kept only 4. 3 were between 17"-19" the rest were below 17 inches.

Here's your quote. Your not too clear, and when I first read through this I also thought to myself "what are they thinking?" Don't snap back, others might be quick to judge, just human nature.
philarmagic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely would never do anything illegal or incriminate myself. Just left the post to let people know if they are traveling 150 miles or more (like I did)that the fishing isn't great or like it has been presumed to be. I expected to catch 20-30 Walleyes maybe some crappies; practice catch and release and go home with two eaters. I did go home with two eaters 15.75" and 16.75" but in 8 hours only caugth 8 fish. If anyone else can tell me if I am being unrealistic let me know. I have been hearing the past 5 years that Lake of the woods is a heaven for walleyes and that Red Lake is a heaven for crappies and now walleyes. This trip was worth my while because I got to fish and get away from my wife, but it was not walleye heaven!! I either have unrealistic expectations or the fishing may never be "walleye heaven"
Helmetguy16
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Calm down people Reply with quote

Wow everyone just calm down. Just a misunderstanding altogether. The fishing will pick up as the ice gets thicker and we can travel farther out. The real trick will be getting past the big crack that is a little over 3 miles out. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get back out to the big lake for at least a month because of semester break at school, but i can't wait to get out there again. Good luck to everyone who makes a trip up there in the following weeks and Happy Holidays.
philarmagic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmetguy keep us posted if the fishing gets better.

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: