Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
ICE - UPPER RED LAKE - 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: ICE - UPPER RED LAKE - 2006 Reply with quote

Shocked Wow we started to get a little ice built up along the shore line with the wind and cold on tuesday.It is little chunks and extends out about 100 yards. I go down to the lake yesterday and the ice goes out 300 yards or more Shocked. With the temps last night at 16 it will be interesting to see how far it is out there now.At this rate I expect to see some one venture out to the last sand bar by next weekend Shocked I will stick to my guns and be in no hurry to venture out onto the ice at this time.We have 3 to 4 months of ice fishing no sense being in a hurrry at this point
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow it may be thin ice but at this time it goes as far as the eye can see. Buddy Hillmen looked like he was ready to test the ice.With warm weather expected we have some time before anyone ventures out to far.
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie: Ben and I walked out onto the ice a good fifty feet. The wind had pushed up about a four foot high heav which will be dificult to cross, I hope it warms up to get rid of the ice wall!! This is on the south side!!
Brady D
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to hear. How early do guys usually go out and start fishing?
Pray for the fish
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I actually walked out on the lake this afternoon. Went out to about 5 feet deep, 4 inches of ice. Chopped a hole but couldn't get the minnow to drop. There was 4 feet of slush, almost to the bottom! Question Apparently the non stop wind couldn't freeze the water but could turn it to slush. Went out to 8 feet of water, here the ice was a little treacherous. Shocked one good poke with the chisel and you were through. Only about 2 feet of slush under the ice here, so I gave it a shot. Dropped a minnow down to the bottom, did not stay too long, maybe 15 min. and got the bleep off. I expect the slush will melt under the ice,after a couple of weeks. We had it like that last year at my spear houses for the first couple weeks, only about a foot of slush though, then it melted and the walleyes moved in to 6 feet. So if the lake stays froze over, I think we will be catching walleyes in shallow by thanksgiving.
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you could spear on Red. I would like to try but it is so dark, how deep of water do you spear in?
Pray for the fish
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spearing is excellent on red. It is sometimes dark but that can change through out the day. The current will push a mass of stained water around. You can be looking in fairly clear water and then it will just turn reddish and you never know for how long. Could be minutes, hours or days to move out. We usually set up in 6-8 feet. Most of the time you have no problem seeing the bottom in 6 feet and you certainly can see that 20 pounder easily. I have even speared way out at 5 miles later in the season. Out there it is quite clear, usually can see your decoy down about 11 or 12 feet. Of course you can't leave it that deep to spear. You won't see a lot of northerns, 2-4 a day, but if you see one 2o lb. plus fish a day, most consider that worth it. Of course with the slot this year at 26-40 go back, I don't think many will try Sad Maybe we could use a rubber spear for spear and release Cool
ggoody
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could somebody clarify if it's Legal to spear on URL?
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding it is still legal to spear?With a slot size I assumed it was not but have been told it is still legal?
Pray for the fish
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT IS legal, just tough with the slot.
Harry
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty fast with the spear but now with the slot size I will have to quick measure it and then spear it!!! We have the same thing down here on Ottertail Lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: