Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Fishing Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Fishing Report Reply with quote

Works over, been fishing!!!!, Boat is back on the water, thanks to Scott Reimer, a real good mechanic up in Cass Lake.

Although the mayfly hatch is over, the warm temperatures are pushing the walleyes in two directions. First the weeds. On Bars like Wishbone where the weeds are thick, my best luck has been a nice minnow like a rainbow, SLOWLY trolling the weed edges-with a Kencatch, long shank jig. Second, on the Sand Bars, such as Turtle River Bar, a leech slowly dragged on the bottom, in as much a 30 feet of water, are working good now. So, look a little bit deeper or scrape the edge of the weeds.

Perch-There are a zillion of them out there 6 to 8 inches long. I think I caught half of them. To get away from the problem of keeping small perch-they definitely look bigger in the boat than in the cleaning house, I cut a 1" X 2" board 10" long. If it doesn't cover the board, it goes back. Saves you from cleaning a lot of small fish later in the day.

The really great news is the Muskie fishing. This year might be the best in a long time. Early morning seems to be better than the evening. With temperatures starting to approach 90 degrees on these summer days, things are only going to get better.

Best of luck to all,

Col Ron
schlaichk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: 07/08 Fishing Report Reply with quote

[colHeading to the North in 2 weeks. Walleye fish along Buck Bar, Potato Islands, Turtle River Bar, North side of Star Island, and Cedar Island. Any info on fishing depth to catch em' appreciated. Usually make a trip to Big Winnie on our 2 week stay. Any info on Walleye action there? Thanks.Very Happy Very Happy or=yellow][/color]
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schlaichk-Herscher, Ill, I know it well. Do you know Dave Burhmeister?

Anyway, in two weeks, I would say you definitely will want to be fishing in 25' of water. The water temperature will probably be approaching 80 degrees by then. If you are coming up Hwy 53, through Superior, I would highly recommend you stopping at the Bait Box for a couple or three pounds of leeches. They will probably be in short supply around here by then-if you can get them-the price will be expensive.

Got a report from Winnie yesterday that the fishing is slowing down there. The walleye are very shy. It is recommended that you don't fish around a lot of boats, the traffic is making them scatter. I hope you pick a nice day to go there. Of course you know on the calm days, you don't catch much, on the windy days, you pay dearly.

Have a good trip,

Col Ron
schlaichk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Walleyes on Cass Reply with quote

Yes, I remember Dave, he was a State Trooper when he lived in Herscher.
Our family has been going to Cass Lake since 1960 and we have or I should probably say my Dad and Uncles for the most part trolled with Little Joe Spinners and a minnow or they jigged with minnows. Their sons have continued the tradition and we have always seemed to catch em. What is your take on this and do you see many fishing this way? Thanks and wishing great fishing to you.
K. Schlaich
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent all our time in the 80's fishing that same way - Lil Joe or jig'n'minnow. Then some smart aleck came along and wouldn't follow our advice - AND HE CAUGHT FISH ON LURES! We couldn't believe it. So in the middle 10 years we tried lots of diff things. In the last 10 years we have settled into bobber fishing mostly. But once again, we bring a new guy with (my nephew) who doesn't know any better, and he starts catching fish on lures too. I guess for the most part now, it's anything goes for us.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of working with Dave.

As far as walleye, I like your method, I would suggest to you to use that chartruse Little Joe spinner, with fat juicy leech/ may catch a few more with the leech. Anyway, good luck to you, Have a good vacation.

Colonel Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Col, glad to see your afloat again, nothing worse than being in dry dock. Another jig and minnow fisherman aaaah, love it.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely goes in cycles. When the water is still clear, and it warms up to a fairly high temperature, that is when it gets difficult. Got to keep trying different things that normally work roughly the same time each year.

Col Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ron, how's fishing been? Still on the slow side, into the summer setup? What's the weather like up there? Hit 88 here today, maybe more, not sure.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still dry as a bone, really well overdue for several days of straight rain. Today was very cool, high of about 76 degrees. We are normally hitting the mid 80's, low af about 60 degrees at night. Great weather for a family vacation.

The walleyes are still biting, just have to work a little harder for them/ I move about every 20 minutes, if no bites are detected. Your favorite, Pike Bay, is still very slow. Also due to the very low water now, I have not been in there for about 10 days. Don't know what to think of Pike, never seen it this bad. I suspect it may finally be due to the heavy netting. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that.

Everything else is just fine,

Col Ron
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's real strange about Pike. Pike's always been real good to me. Personally if I had to pick only one lake to fish out of the whole chain, it would be PIkes. But, over the years, that is where I have spent most of my time. Man, I wish I was up there again. Anybody up for a weekend road trip?
luv2fishatcass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Pike Bay Reply with quote

Hi! Smile I'm new to this website and really enjoy reading all the input on it. My family is going up to Cass Lake July 15th and staying at Horseshoe Resort. We always like to go over to Pike Bay to do some fishing. I was wondering if anybody knows if you can get over there since the water is so low. Also what are the walleyes biting on? Thanks so much for any info you can give me.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey luv2 fish, glad you decided to join the "Cass Lake Crazies", welcome aboard. Since I got home two weeks ago, after two weeks of fishing, the best water level report I can give, is this. For most of two weeks, I fished Pike's. On the last Fri. I was there, I was unable toget into Pike's. But, I have a deep vee glass boat. The last day, when I could not get in, the aluminum boats were making it. The best advice I can give you is to contact Col Ron. He guides on Cass and fishes it everyday. He will be able to tell you if you can get into Pike's or not. Now, for a late fishing report. One day on Pike's we had a north wind. We went to the south west corner of the lake, and started a drift in 12' of water. When it dropped to 23' of water we hit a nice 21" eye. Next drift, a 19" fish, we have a pattern. Next dozen drifts, nada. Go figure. Good luck luv2fish
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luv 2 fish:

First of all welcome to the site. Clark will take good care of you at the "Shoe".

The water level is slowly going down. You should have no problem getting under the bridges, the problem is getting into Pike Bay, without bottoming out. I suggest two things, first put all your passengers up in the bow area, to pick your motor up/ and second, if you get stuck, bring a pair of sandals with you, put them on and just walk your boat through, not that big a deal. I would recommend some type of shoes, there is all kinds of junk down there.

You may want to check with Clark when you get in as to where the fish are biting. This entire season so far has been very slow for walleyes in Pike Bay. The perch are there, but not huge ones. On the other hand, I keep checking out Pike to see if the bite is on, it is definitely overdue, you never know when it is going to happen.

Again, Welcome,

Colonel Ron, Guide
luv2fishatcass

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Report on Pike Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the information!!! We will certainly put it to good use. We'll give you a report when we get back. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: