Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Now I know why Musky fishing gets in your blood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Now I know why Musky fishing gets in your blood Reply with quote

For 30 yrs, I have wanted to try some casting for those monsters, and this year I got my chance. Took out my nephew and my friend's son to the Kettle one morning and we raised TWO musky. Extremely exciting to see them for sure!

First drift, my nephew had one swipe at the surface about 20' from the boat - it made a gigantic splash. I didn't see it, but he did and swears it was a musky. I immediately threw out a marker. On his next cast of that lure, the line must have been frayed 'cause his lure went flying off and is now on the bottom - another of our sacrifices to the fish god, Goombali.

We motored back to our starting point, and on this second drift, I was retrieving an antique lure I got when my dad passed - a 50+ yr old jointed Creek Chub. Dad musta been watching over me. When the lure got to about 15' from the boat, I saw this log behind it about a foot under the surface. Got the boys to look as it followed the lure about a foot behind it. Of course I was dumbstruck and didn't know what to do. Well, this log had fins and turned slowly to my left away from the lure and swam away. It was a giant, definitely over 3' long and solid. Magnificent! I threw out another marker.

We made three more drifts between the markers which were about 100 yards apart but could not make any more contact with the "fish of ten thousand casts".

I think I will have to include more time for musky fishing when I make my next trip to Cass.
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very successful trip with your nephew and friend. Congratulations!!!

I think I can picture exactly where you were within 50 feet. If it would have been two or three weeks from now, chances are, the brut would have gobbled done the lurer.

I know you will be thinking about that until next June and beyond, that is why we are here,

Thanks for sharing that with the Crazies..

Col ron
muskiyfins
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

That story about brought a tear to my eye. If it was a 3 footer, just think, that's the equivalent of a 15" walleye. Wait till you see a legitimate 50" fish!!! You'll never fish for anything again. I'm more stoked than ever about my trip. Them 'skis better not let their guard down cause I'm comin'. Check here for photos July 17.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to stretch the truth, so I wrote "over 3' long". It was probably closer to 4'. What is that equivalent to in terms of me taking my limit of 30 Rock Bass instead of CPR'ing 1 giant? Who knows? Everyone has diff "tastes". But I do hear that "smoked musky" might be good eatin'. Any truth to that?

For us, it all depends on what kind of mission we are on....do we want to put fish on the table or are we going out "for the experience"? Every day can be diff and it is nice to try out diff things. This was quite an "experience" for us novices.
===
Oops, wait a minute - it is growing by the second and is now over 4' long....nyuk, nyuk. (spoken like a true muskyhunter)!
muskiyfins
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it and I swear it was 9' long!!!!!!

Personally, I don't eat musky (or any other fish for that matter), don't care for it and pain in the ass to fillet. Eat a few walleye, and some lake Michigan salmon each year and that's fine.

As for comparisons, there is none when it comes to a 50" pig. That's a fishing lifetime achievement award. Alimit of anything is impressive, however.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF,

I got a good humorous response for you, but unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it communicated above the level allowed in public for what is considered good taste so I guess I better not try to be funny this time.

Now, as to the comments about eating fish: If you don't want to eat your limit, send it on over to me. I'll gladly chaw on some of your walleye or pike or pannies. If I ever get onto L Mich, I'll gladly pay you back with some salmon.
TiredOfWorking
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about excitement Gene. If anyone finds a perch pattern #10 X-Rap with a 12" steel leader and some 50# Yellow Power Pro attached in a large Northern or Musky, please email me a picture of the one that got away. Also, mail me the lure, it worked real well. (Next time the steel leader will be longer.) Evil or Very Mad
muskiyfins
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little trick on the leader thing-

Attach to your line a 100# titanium stranded leader-I use a 18-24" depending on what I have available.

Attach to that a 12" SOLID titanium jerkbait leader. Ithink these are in the 100-200# category.

When a bigun tries to roll in the line, the solid wire pushes the flex leader out of the way. It also seems to help with cutting up the fishes body since he can't roll in the wire.

As for leader shy fish-even in clear water, I've found an angry musky will strike a boat anchor, and a lure-shy fish won't hit anything but live bait anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: