Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Driving from Twin Cities...looking for suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gusto

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Driving from Twin Cities...looking for suggestions Reply with quote

We'll be driving up from Iowa next THRS and be coming up through the Twin Cities. From there, does anyone have a route that would be the best to travel?

I was looking at taking I-94 to St. Cloud
Taking Highway 10 - North
Then taking highway 64 near Motley
At Kabekona taking highway 71
Then 72 up to Waskish (staying at West Wind)

Good? Bad? Ugly?

Any shortcuts will be higly appreciated...and rewarded with cash Wink

-Nate

Cookie - looking your direction since you post frequently Smile
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Through the cites take 35E up to moose lake.Go through moose lake and take 73 up to floodwood. Take 2 past grand rapids to deer river.Take 46 to northome. Turn left on 71 and go 3 miles to 1,take a right and go to 72 about 5 miles Take a right on 72 and follow it up to waskish. This is the way we have gone for years. We use to go up 65 all the way to 2 then take a left to deer river.
shaky legs 2
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Best way to Red Lake Reply with quote

I live on the West side of the cities and have taken many trips to Red over the past 6 years for crappies. The most direct route I have found over the years is I94 to the clearwater exit (highway 24). Highway 24 north to Highway 10. Highway 10 to Motley. Highway 64 to Laporte. Highway 71 through Bemidji, Blackduck. Then 72 through Shooks, Kelliher up to Washkish.
Gusto

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaky,

About how long does it take you to get there from the Twin Cities?
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 1/2 hours if you do not dilly dally.Coming into twin cites 35e around the cities is the way to go. I have heard of others taking that other route, it all depends on what side of cities you coming from.
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or there is always the route in the middle of the 2 suggested and that is 94 to Rogers hwy 101 n it turns into 169 continue to the Y in garrison 18/6 take a left 3 miles to 6 north to deer river take 46 and follow cookies directions form there!!!! right out of deer river there is a five minute shortcut that is labeled on the sign as shortcut. as for time it all depends on the factors when you will be going thru..the amount of traffic and the stops you make along the way....and weather all determine the amount of time....from Rogers it will take about 3-3.5 hrs and it is 30-40 minutes out of the cities so 4-4.5 hrs from the twin cities area........but it can end up being alot longer if any of these factors come into play and go against you....
Buck
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to Red Lake Reply with quote

shaky legs 2 wrote:
I live on the West side of the cities and have taken many trips to Red over the past 6 years for crappies. The most direct route I have found over the years is I94 to the clearwater exit (highway 24). Highway 24 north to Highway 10. Highway 10 to Motley. Highway 64 to Laporte. Highway 71 through Bemidji, Blackduck. Then 72 through Shooks, Kelliher up to Washkish.

That's the route I used to take when I lived in the cities and with one stop we could usually make it in 4hrs. 15min. to Upper Red. Pretty good route unless you hit the Friday night caravan (city folk coming up for the weekend), then you can expect some delays due to the campers & boats on the road.

Buck
shaky legs 2
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie is right, about 4hrs. 15 min to 4 1/2 hrs if you go straight through. That is from the NW side of the cities. This route has minimal traffic especially after you leave the highway 10/371 split in Little Falls.
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm....Cookies route isn't even close to Little Falls........His route went up 35 to moose lake then to Deer River..Little Falls would come into play with the other routes going thru St Cloud and what not........ all routes are probably close in time the major factor will be which is less conjested!!! on a thursday though if it is early afternoon/morning all routes should be clear......
Gusto

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically I should just flip a coin to choose whichever route? Smile

I'll probably go the 35E route Cookie suggested. With coming into the Twin Cities?

Take 35E to 494, into 694 back to 35E. Basically taking the Eastern Outside loop?

I really REALLY appreciate the $.02 everyone has thrown in. Looking forward getting up there. Cool
DE3333

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy TEST RUN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: