Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
5-22-06 Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian Jones
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: 5-22-06 Report Reply with quote

Water temps are now getting close to the 60 degree mark and the current is still running hot. Walleye action is pretty normal for this time of year with the jigs and minnows working right along side leeches/crawlers on snells. The best depth for Beef as of tonight was 18 feet, dad was hitting them good in the 15-18 foot zone. I have been fishing after dark for the eye’s and getting them in 3-8 foot.

Panfish have still been going good during the day on minnows or leeches below a bobber. It never gets old watching the bobber go down. Big panfish like the ones on the Cass Chain also put up about as good a fight as a decent walleye.

I think tomorrow looks like a good day to see how the pike are behaving!
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK there Jones, did the old man kick your butt or what Cool

Sure hope the fish start biting during "normal" waking hours for the Texan.....I prefer to be sitting at the lodge sailing with Captain Morgan at night!

Texan
beef58
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Water Mines... Reply with quote

What the Heck... I was out fishing last night and All of a sudden I hooked into something solid... I thought I hooked a big boulder but Couldn't budge it... After trying for 5 mintes of repositioning the boat and pulling at different angles thinking I would be able to get free---I finally figured out my problem...

I was fishing in front of a two resorts on the north side of star island.. The Narrows were to my west and O'neils was to my East I then realized that Dam Texan has already had his Hench Man up North-- I found a Water Mine...

So Gene just a heads up that Texan is already starting to set his boundaries Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Fishing was alright-- Found some walters in 18 feet of water along with a nice mess of perch... Like Jones said the water temps are starting to warm-up and the action is starting to shift to crawlers... I was still using shiners but found a few fish on crawlers too....

Beef

P.S. Clark--I tried to take a picture of the resort from the Lake to get everyones hopes up, but the waves made it tough to take a good photo... I thought I could make a few people jealous by showing them what there missing!!!! Laughing It was a perfect night to be on Cass...
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you tex, night time is for tipping a few

Sure hope the fish start biting during "normal" waking hours for the Texan.....I prefer to be sitting at the lodge sailing with Captain Morgan at night!

Texan[/quote]
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told ya'll we would be installing the underwater structure...Beef, you didn't mark it on your GPS did ya Cool

FF, right on my man...the only fish I'll be catching at night is what the Captain can kick up!!!!

Texan
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drinking instead of fishing??? Man, you guys got your priorities all screwed up. I can drink at home - I can't fish on Cass at home. But given the right situations, I think on Cass I can do both at the same time.

Beef,
What happened to Cass and all that calm water Brian and Samantha fished in - must be back to normal, wavy Cass if you couldn't get a decent pic from the boat, huh?
beef58
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South-SouthEast Wind...

Blew right into Horseshoe Wishbone resorts....

Only 3 boats sitting out in front of the resorts a ton of boats working the north west shore reeds on star island last night...

Wasn't as windy like last saturday Mad I was taking water over the bow on saturday... Yikes it wasn't much fun....

Beef

Texan I marked them on the GPS, figured the day before you get here I would drop some milk jugs with Rope and an anchor attached so the rest of the group would have a runway to follow out of and into the shoe'...
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Beef...that ain't right Twisted Evil

Texan
beef58
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot Texan--- The runway would be for your group at Clark's... The "OTHER RUNWAY" leads to a maze that seems to take an extra 15-20 minutes to get back to the resorts Laughing Laughing Laughing

Should I add the highway blinkers lights to the top of the milk jugs too... How about I paint the jugs to look like captain morgan bottles, would that help Trent out???

Beef
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's OK Texan, the demolition guys are staying here until you get here,they move them occasionally ! ! !

Clark
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene, the first guy to show me how to fish Cass was Tom, from Tom's resort. The first time he took me out, I asked what time we were going to go, 4am 5am or the latest 6am. He laughed, and said the big ones don't get up until after 9am, and he said they nap after 3pm. So the next day at the crack of "9am" we left the harbor. With me thinking, we missed the best part of the day for fishing. Well, needless to say, Tom put us on fish at every spot he stopped at. And some big ones to boot. We caught big eyes, big northerns, and lots of big perch. Had our limit, and were back at the bar by 3pm. Over the years, he took us out many times, and it was the same time every time. So, and I know many people won't like this, but if you know how to fish Cass, 9 to 3 is the best time to go. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce what Tom showed me. So, you will find me at the bar after 3pm. Hic
The Texan
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT'S my king of fishin'

Texan
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second that notion ff and Texan!

Sounds like one of my ideal days for sure. Hot, sunny forecast. We'd head out to Kitchi early, pick fish up off and on all morning until just past lunch, come in to clean the feesh/have a sam-ich... then the old guys would lie down for a nap, and I'd head up to the P-hole. For medicinal purposes only of course, as the ice cold pints of Labatts Blue would help ease the pain of a sunburn. Just sit at the bar, shoot the breeze with Frank or Kevin or some other nameless fishermen coming in off the lake. Looking out of the tinted windows at boats passing under the bridge and listening to a ballgame or some tunes on on the jukebox. Ahhhhhhh. Can you feel it now? Cool

But I digress. Back to staring at my computer!!! AHHHHHHH! Smile
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also learned long ago that getting on the water before 9 does not payoff for us very much so we tend to take our time having coffee and setting up rods/boats and plenty of samiches and "beverages".

Oh yeah, I can feel it. T-19 and we'll be staring out those windows. However, Your Honor - may I approach the witness?
MM,
you have been duly noted as a die hard fisherman. In your own words, you spend every waking moment thinking about fishing gear/tackle. Would you like me to have the clerk read that back to you? Are you not also the same MM who spends time away from his dearly beloved family just to catch worms. (the prosecution concedes the logic of doing so involves saving on the family finances). And, in addition to being a self-proclaimed Cass Lake Crazy, you are one of the few who also makes TWO trips to Cass (the prosecution concedes this is only possible when the boss allows it) just to chase Musky - which, by the way, seems to somehow be related to your Invo handle. Now, do you really think in light of the evidence that this court will believe for even one moment that you prefer afternoons sitting in the bar to being on the water? Even if it is for only a few hrs. a day, this court believes your time would be better spent at least drowning a sucker to take a chance at that fish of a lifetime. Do you not agree with this court? If not, may I remind you of one of the effects of such laziness you diguise to this court as enjoyable relaxation - that being "bridge jumping". This court believes you, along with your other fishing friends (Ff, Texan, Gowdy) are fibbing to high heaven when they claim they like to be in the bar instead of on the water.
The prosecution now asks the court that Sentencing be delayed until after the trial of MM"s co-defendants and after June's trip to Cass in order to allow the defendants time to reconsider their stated position.

Memo:
Charges against Ff have been dropped as he is retired and can do whatever he darn well pleases with his time. This court cannot force him to use his vacation time wisely since he is on permanent vacation.

Charges against Texan and Gowdy have been dropped due to their pleading insanity as a result of years of losing brain cells.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitate to respond to such an eloquent post at the risk of offending the author (and the court).

However, I wouldn't think that it's too out of line for me to take the same line of defense as Gowdy and Texan. Decimation of brain cells due to prolonged exposure to high KOH levels. That, and when my fishing partners decide to catch some Zs... I'm a little leary of hitting the lake by myself. I've done it before, but it's a lot more fun when you have others to witness your screw-ups! Sometimes fishing is a team sport. And like I said before, I only go up there to drink for medicinal purposes!

And trust me... when I go up in the fall, the only time you'll find us in a bar is when our eyes are too bloody to fish. Man cannot live on musky fishing alone...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: