Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Finding those upper red lake crappies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Finding those upper red lake crappies Reply with quote

In the past 6 days I have seen enough to be convinced there are still plenty of crappies out there to be caught. The guys that are willing to move around and drill a "few" holes or more should do pretty good. The key is to start in a fishy area. If your getting some every night you are close. I watched Jack Steve and Tyler land a dozen fish in less then 1 hour after drilling 20 holes with little success.They were all caught between 3 and 4 pm during the day. Thats twice I have seen people slam the crappies in less then a week. I drove out to the area that Jack was fishing yesterday and some one has parked there tow behind right on the excistingt holes Question
Again 11 of the 12 that were caught were hogs.
Now for the rest of the weekend. Russ and his crew were in alaska, they landed a total of 50 fish for the weekend with only four being crappies. They had a good time and had atleast had some action. Bob and Neil were in montana, Bob called me with in 2 hours of being in the house to see if I would bring him a deck of cards, I told him there were cards in the house Question first he said no there were not any cards, then the truth came out and some how he had drooped the whole deck down a hole? thats 2 cell phones and a deck of cards in 3 or 4 trips Question mister butter fingers I guess. And to think he works at a glass company Question They did manage to land 3 crappie friday night and were gone this morning before I arrived.Both nights it also looked like they were a sleep before nine Question
Curt, Eric, Al and Gerome? were in florida for the weekend. They also landed 4 crappies and felt they also lost some. They also landed a couple smaller pike.
Rodney and his crew had a little better luck in crappie fishing and went home with 25. They moved after the first night and buried there trucks towing there houses into unfished areas. Rodney had trouble with his truck after they got it unstuck and it would not come out of 4 wheel drive low. They tried warming it up in westwinds shop last night and he had to have it towed to Grand rapids today Sad
Kellie and I took Jerrylyn and April fishing thursday and friday night in old minnesota, we all had a good time and landed 4 crappies. I landed a dandy true 14 1/2 inch fish.. I still think I have a chance of landing a 16 incher but time will tell. Seems I always lose a fish or two and as we all no the big ones always get away.Kellie has me 2 to 1 for the month of Feb. Its a long month and I'm confident I will win this year.
Today I moved montana for Bob so he would have a fresh spot to fish. He is here for 3 days. Doug and his dad Evertt are in Florida for the next two nights and I will move florida tomorrow if I can fix blue thunder. I broke a hydrolic line coming off the lake tonight and will have to tackle that in the morning.
Not sure why the line broke, I will try and figure that out tomorrow morning, it would of beeen nice if it broke las t week when it was warm out but thats the way it goes.
cj
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Location Reply with quote

Cookie. Are you out beyond the ruff ice, or are inside toward the shorelin? I talked to guys last night that were out of Hillmans, and they said they had to do th ice chink thing to get them. They limited in a hurry when they finaly got the holes cleaned out. CJ
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cj I cant say as it may incrimanate me? i would do just what your buddies did?Whatever they did sounds like it worked?
jerkbait
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey CJ what is the ice chink thing you were talking about the guys from Hillmans doing if you don't mind explaining? I was out of Hillmans this weekend and we got 5 crappies, fished this spot for 3 nights get a crappie or 2 every night, will have to try punching some holes around that area next time we are up in two weeks, was a little on the brisk side to move around this past weekend.
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could say?I guess I will have to bite my lip.
cj
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ice chink should have said chunk. Good speller
wallygator
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cj where the heck do i do the ice chink thing ????
cj
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallegator I will show you where to do the ice chink thing if you don't be nice. HEE HEE cj
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on the ice chunk thing is to set up on top of rough ice, drill holes(may need extension to get thru?) Then start scooping ice, and slush. it keeps coming up because of broken ice under neath but if you keep scooping you eventually get them clear enough to get your bait down and fish.
Sounds like I'm picking up a secret location though that parties in the know aren't coughing up???
Hansonator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was up on URL last weekend, Saturday afternoon through Monday AM. Fishing the "bad" ice is the ticket! Fished three different spots out of Westwind. About a mile beyond the end of the road. The two "bad" ice spots both produced good fishing, the smooth spot did not. The ice is much thicker in these spots as there are multiple layers. You can actually clearly see the layers as you drill. There's a layer of clear ice, then a layer of dirty ice, then more clear ice. The water is much darker in these spots as sunlight can't penetrate the dirty ice as easily? Only caught a couple of crappies, but housed over 60 perch, walleye and pike for two guys fishing just Sat PM and Sun. Lost many more.... Will be back in early March to try for our limit of slabs!
grandpasfishingbuddy
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey cookie wats up Exclamation I was just wondering how much a house cost and where your lodge is located in the lake thanx. Very Happy
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our houses are out of westwind this year. 3 are 200 per night the others are 150 and 175 per night. We do not have a lodge but do have a couple of cabins we also rent year round
shorty
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: secrets lol Reply with quote

cookie u give good advise but u are going out of westwinds and then u cant give any advise? ?? ?? lol the lake is huge and there is a ton of rough ice out there this year... Oh by the way blue thunder isnt verry conspicuious lol ( just givin u a hard time) Im headin up the 24th and will be going out of westwinds also hopefully I get some good directions to the spot where there slaying the big ones...lol I dont have a gps so could any one give me a map..... Tell me does anyone have any in the barrel so It wont take alot of time to limit out
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is wild Bill did real well out of hillmens, it all so sounds like hudecs has been doing real well.You are right there is miles of the rough ice this year. I would love to say exactly where they were fishing but there seems to be some unwritten rule that you can not fish 1/2 mile from another house? Friday night wild bill and his crew of 8 landed 71 fish in less then 4 hours then they shut down or moved?
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We appreciate giving what advise you can on location Cookie. I realize you cannot give exact locations (i.e. spilling your guts) but you're honest enough to tell us that you can not tell us.
I'll be up Friday outta Agassiz. Cat eyes, Al and I hopefully will pull in a few specks! Very Happy
not as optimistic about our other boyz, bob and chucker-- but ya never know!!
good fishin' to all
GIVER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: