Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
theorys abound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: theorys abound Reply with quote

With the slow bite this year I think I have heard it all Rolling Eyes
We have not had enough sun to release the plankton off the bottom of the lake?
The walleye are so abundent the crappies do not have a chance to bite?
The fish are confused from the mild weather Question
They have all died as there to old to live any longer?
They don't eat minnows they just kill them as they want to protect the plankton.
A net has been strung accross the narrows.
The lake has been fished out.
Global warming
These are just some of the reason I have heard. I do not have the ansers of where the fish are?
I do know that a few locals have had no problem catching limits and they go out on sleds? When I was out on friday night we landed 5 crappies in less then 30 minutes. None of these fish took our bobber down and the bite was a lite as possible. Both fish I caught were all over my jig on the vex so I set the hooked and landed both that way. Pure Luck.
Next time your up drive to the end of the road and look around. theres alot of unfished space out there.Maybe we need a few more fishermen out there Question I like the area were at, at this time and will keep working it over.Dallas and Dave had two up there holes and lost them. Dallas also lost 4 fish under the ice tonight. Were they crappies,who knows.Jordon,Eric and Tony did not land a crappie last night. They sure did party hard though? Todd and Richard had a cribbage marathon?and still went home with 3 crappies.When we mark fish that will not bite are they crappies? The walleyes seem to come in waves and hammer the minnow. Maybe they have been educated to the point they will not bite.Maybe there out there hiding where no ones fishing. I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet and will let everyone know when and if I throw in the towel
Chris Schulz
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would in no way throw in the towel yet, with good fishing, always comes poor fishing at times. It's something that every lake at one time or another has to deal with. Weather the population is down or they are just not biting is wonder that man has a hard time figuring out. I think its better not know why they are not biting. Your not suppose to be able to catch limit after limit after limit.....Thats why it is called fishing and not catching.....Thats the great thing about fishing....It's a CHALLENGE.

One thing i would like to know was how the nettings from the DNR compared from years past? were there less crappies netted this year?
Big Z
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down here in the cities we have been havening similar things happen in which the fish such as crappies and sunnies will bite but very soft and not take the bobber down. With a camera your able to set the hook just as they take it, or with a vex do exactly what cookie is saying. Heck I have no problem catching a some walleyes and pike while waiting for the crappies.
buzz1ng
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its plain and simple cookie. The crappie bite was the best in the U.S. Any idiot could drop a line down and catch something. When there are over 10,000 people a weekend up there fishing and catching there limits, along with the introduction of predator fish into red. Obviously the crappie population has to go down. No longer will the lazy renter fisherman be able to catch them. People might actually have to go out on the lake and find them. You know as well as I do that these crappies will only be around for a couple more years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dendogg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Lazy Renters? Reply with quote

hold on there Buzzed Up. My group comes up twice a year and rents from the famous Kelly who makes sure we are always near or on the fish. Lazy we are not. Time crunched, maybe. Not everyone has every weekend free to fish.
buzz1ng
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Den, call it what you want. I was plainly stating that 85% of fisherman that go to red have no clue how to fish and thats why they aren't catching fish. Red lake is one of the only lakes in minnesota that has absolutley no structure and you can go out in the middle of nowhere and catch fish. If your renting a house you are being at least a little lazy, You are depending on the owner of the house to put you on the fish. Essentially paying to fish, a guide service.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chris Schulz
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is sturctre in that lake. You just have to find it! Laughing
PimplySwede
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: 10-year life span Reply with quote

I would have to agree that with an approximate 10-year life span, the great hoardes of giant crappies are coming to an end. However, since it takes a couple years for the walleyes to get to a size that will start impacting crappie spawn, there should be at least a few year-classes of crappies of abundance. Cookie is right that the giant school is breaking up into smaller schools, but we should find good sized crappies for a couple years more. There is really no reason to throw the big ones back, as the giants are near the end of the life cycle, and are not as viable spawners as the middle-aged ones are. Enjoy the crappies while they last, and hope that in future years we can keep more than 2 walleyes a day.

I am not a fisheries biologist, and I apologize if my theories are completely off-base.
charlieB
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct cookie. Throwing in the towel now would result in anglers missing out on the best yet to come bite. Remember everyone, this is the normal slack period which occurs every where. The best is yet to come. But for those who choose to give up, that means more for Farmer, Guido Pup and myself when we come up to join forces with cookie.

Hang in there everyone and keep the faith. I guess if you really want to look at cause and effect, Here is food for thought. How long can a resource consistantly produce year after year with the amount of pressure URL receives? Maybe I'm wrong, but its only a thought. Good Luck Exclamation Exclamation
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is you have to find the fish by moving around unlike years in the past where you could just move in on people in a big school of fish. You can talk all you want about whether there is or isn't structurein the lake but it's been my experience that there can easily be a school in the middle of no where.
You can bet Kelly-p and others will be giving up there hot spot in the forum when it's over and after the word has gotten out.
Sooo- just get out there,find an open spot and throw the dice and you might get the biggest crappies of your life.
cat eyes
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN TO THAT SLABBY I THINK I WILL GIVE IT A TRY FRI. THROUGH TUES. I'M BRINGING THE WHEELER AND GOING TO GRIZ IT.ALSO REMEMBER YOU CAN'T DRINK ALL DAY IN LESS YOU START IN THE MORNING
Buck
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I don't really care if I catch a crappie or not. Just being out there vs. being in an office or working on the "honey do" list is good enough for me. If I catch anything it's a bonus, if I catch some crappies...it's a double bonus. Don't think I've ever gone up there and NOT caught something, may not bring a meal home but it sure is a stress reliever.

Buck
ggoody
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy pressure and no meaningful reproduction of the Crappies is the problem.
matth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzz1ng wrote:
Ok Den, call it what you want. I was plainly stating that 85% of fisherman that go to red have no clue how to fish and thats why they aren't catching fish. If your renting a house you are being at least a little lazy, You are depending on the owner of the house to put you on the fish. Essentially paying to fish, a guide service.
C'mon now, does it really mean someone is lazy because they rent a house??? Maybe they're driving 8 hour to get to URL and just need a place to stay a few nights??
Schneivly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say that no matter who you are, unless you know the lake really well, when the bite is tough, it's a big lake, and the bite is tough everywhere. I'm from the St. Cloud area, and I haven't heard any really good reports. As I've understood it, the best bite is near the end of February/beginning of March on URL. Would you all agree?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: