Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
whats up with the walleyes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
light12

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: whats up with the walleyes Reply with quote

my first post here First I want to say thanks to cookie for keeping me up on whats going on with Upper Red sounds like the walleyes are hitting good I'm wondering what it will be like in the spring when season opens on red for walleyes i would imagine it will be crazy do you know are they still going to open upper red for walleyes this spring ? good fishing everone
cat eyes
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the state is opening walleyes this spring with a limit of 2 you must release 17 to 28inchers.you can only keep one over 28.
cat eyes
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to tell you they are giving us 108,000 lbs.of fish to get until dec. 1 2006 then I believe it's another 108,000 lbs. after dec. 1st
HeyBD22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the slot is actually 17 - 26 inches with one over 26 that you can keep.
slabby
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's right HB. Don't know why they didn't make it 28" though Question 26" fish is nice but probably not one most people would mount--
Does the season close for walleye when quota is reached or do they tighten the slot even more or reduce the # you can keep to 1 etc.??
One thing is pretty sure, you won't be filling the freezer(legally anyway) with walleye. After a hard day of fishin' I can scarf down a couple of 16"ers myself
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the quota has been met for the "non tribal" waters (108,000 lbs) then they (DNR) will reevaluate the situation and they might even close the season in the winter if the quota has gone over or they feel the pressure is harming the walleye production. There are a few good articles in last weeks Outdoor News regarding Red Lake that I thought were interesting. It is the issue with a brown bear on the cover..........I just am skeptical as to how the rest of the lake will be managed.... Even if they start netting again one would think that they would have more intrest in seeing the waters not over fished like the past being that it is a valuable commodity for them........I am just kinda upset that they use our tax $ for the stocking efforts and we can only access a small portion of the lake system!!!!!!!!! For that reason alone I wish they would have just left the walleyes out of the lake..... People say that the crappie wouldn't last but I don't believe that because the past year i have caught alot of crappies in the 9-11 inch range which would indicate that they had no problem reproducing sice the 95 year class and I believe they would have continued to do so without all the walleye stocked in the lake....... I am done venting now just every time i think about it I get upset!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck and we will see you on the lake..................
outdoor authority
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will have to find a few local kids to take with you
outdoor authority
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 5 years out on red summer and winter my friends and family have taken 1000 + crappies and never a small one? i hope that you Are right
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have yet to catch a crappie smaller than 8.5 or 9 inches but opposed to the 13-14 norm I would think that they are from a different year but who knows. Remember that when the schools of crappies where found it was 3 years after that the DNR stocked the walleye. Take another year before they would be able to start attacking crappies. then think about the size of the lake and to think that the crappie population hasn't reproduced even if it is in lower red they still migrate a little to upper red and one would have to think that there are different year classes out there....I remember that 3-5 years ago the perch were all dinks.. This year I have seen and heard of alot of perch 8-10 inches. they made it why not the crappies????? i think the crappie action will slow down in years to come but I don't think they are ever going to go vanish from the lake unless the nets get popular. Then all we can do is wait untill the walleyes are gone again and the FUN starts all over again?? Rolling Eyes
cookie
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about all those crappies that have made little ones Shocked I have heard that in 2000 they had the biggest hatch of crappies ever recorded? But in the fall when they did there surveys they were gone. Eaten by all the other crappies. Cannibles I'll tell you.
I saw a 7 incher caught last year and I have heard of smaller ones caught last spring Question As the season goes bye maybe spring will be the best time to hit the mother load Question
Delorea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen one smaller than 12 inches come out. The fact that cookie has not seen but heard of a few small ones means there are very very little crappies in the lake or we would catch them. It was and always will be a walleye lake. Thank God that he made the best of the bad walleye situation and blessed us with the biggest bunch of crappies I ever saw.
light12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: i'm a little confused on the 108,000 pounds Reply with quote

how does the dnr have any idea on how many walleyes come out of the lake
guru
SpinCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just guess. Actually it's an eduacated guess. They have someone at the access almost year round and just ask people how they did. Come up with an average and go from there. It's not 100% accurate but it seems to be working on LOW, Mille Lacs, Rainy and hopefully Leach.
Chomper
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Upper Red Walleye Reply with quote

The survey (MDNR) will be done at every landing, or staff the landings with whatever their budget can afford. They will measure the fish you keep, 9 times out of 10 they are not there to bust you, but they can call in somebody who will if you are over the slot or limit. They will also ask about how many walleye you caught and throw back. They will use this figure to get a released fish mortality and count that against the safe harvest quota. I guess it's up to each person, but when I am surveyed I always report much lower catch and release numbers. I know I still will come to Red once or twice to ice fish, but you can bet your bottom that I will steer clear come opening weekend, can you say "zoo"! Cookie our group should be up there the last weekend of Feb., unless we get into a load at a smaller lake like last year. Nice to have a small lake all to yourself and not have to worry about pushing/pulling some idiot out of a snowbank.
ozzie
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chomper- it has been a "zoo" on that lake for the last 7 years. The walleye opening will bring some up there but it can't get much crazier in the winter than it does now....but the spring and the summer will create alot more business........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Upper Red Lake Ice Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: