Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
June 12-18 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: June 12-18 2016 Reply with quote

Well it was certainly a different kind of week for us.
It seemed like we did really, really well every other day. One day lousy, one day great, next day bad, next day good, and so on.

We did get rained out one eve and one afternoon and we had a lot of "walleye weather". Lots of strong, steady, blowing winds--mostly from the East about 12-15mph and sometimes from the North like that -- and then of course lots of waves to go with that wind. Air temps were mostly in the area of 65 all week--one day was calm and 80 though and we slaughtered the pannies and LMB that day in Pike Bay.

We caught our usual limit of Rockies but not too many were of the 3/4lb slabosaurus kind this year.

We found a couple of bluegill holes and almost limited-out but again only about half were "bulls".

The perch were found here and there and we only kept 1/3 of our limit. Our hotspot from last year had the largest Perch but they were not really biting there.

The LMB were going pretty good both in size and numbers---I won the annual contest with my nephew for most LMB but it took me all week. On the other hand, one of my sisters caught 8 LMB one day in Dick's Bay--she has the right stank!

The Northern were almost non-existent as we only kept 9 for the week.

And I think we caught only 10 Crappie all week.

Our Walleye fishing was exceptional in numbers but 90% of them were "cigar' sized. Usually we only fish walleye in the eve but the daytime bite was good all week for us--must have been the overcast conditions on those days.

Because of the wind we didn't venture over to Kitchi this year--first time in a decade I think I didn't get there.

Big fish of the week went to my buddie's son's friend. The two of them hadn't made the trip in about 10 years and he wanted to cast for Northerns so I sent them over to "the Kettle" and on a No. 3 Mepps spinner he got a 36" 10.5lb Musky--dumb luck, but the exact kind of luck I have never had in 35 trips.

We are psyched to get back already.

Our annual big fishfry will be around Labor Day and that's when the real fish stories will be heard.
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you had a good trip. You want to tell us where in Elmhurst you are having that "Big Labor Day Fish Fry" or is it your sister's place? Evil or Very Mad
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue,

I just heard this morning...Sept. 10 is the date

It is our Annual FishFry at my buddie's Mom's place in Oakbrook Terrace. We fry enough to feed about 60-80 neighbors, churchgoers, and family and friends and of course they all bring potluck so I scarf up enough goodies I can PLUS some beer of course.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good week of fishing for different kinds of good eating fresh fish. Can't buy fish at home that taste that good. You mention fishing pike bay, do you mainly fish the same area or do you fish all over the bay. We have not fished pikes bay but always say we are next year. Sounds like you know the bay pretty well and wondered if you fish the bars or around the shoreline or both. Also wondered if you noticed how clear the water was this year on Cass. We also were amazed by the large amount of "cigar" size walleye this year but that speaks well of the next several years walleye population.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy,

For the last 10 years or so we only fish the West shoreline in Pike Bay in the weedbeds for panfish/LMB.

Pike Bay is actually a phenomenal walleye lake but we have never taken the time to find/work any bars. Many years ago we gave it a try but never had much luck so we gave up....but I now have some GPS co-ordinates from a Guide we know (thanks, Col Ron) that I hope to use someday when I am retired.

We have two different names for it too---I call it Perch Bay because for many of the early years all we could catch in there was perch and my buddy calls it Big Windy because of how windy/wavy it gets in there.

I don't know if you put the thought in my head or not but the water did seem very clear. And one of the summer camp old-timers mentioned that to me too while we were chatting so maybe it is true that the zebras clean it up pretty good. Whatever, the sheer number of cigars does bode well for the future.

So much water, so little time!
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report.. Very nice to hear you make it up to Cass again.. Nice lake....I think the east winds do turn off fishing for a day.... Junior
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to thank FFISHMAN for the PM message you sent me about fishing PIKES BAY.You gave very helpful ideas on how tohandle a BIG new bay. That is what I enjoy about this forum, lovers of Cass lake willing to share their knowledge with others they know truly enjoy the Lake. THANKS AGIN
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Gene and what a great time you had. Hoping we do as well on the Eyes this year. Something we have not concentrated on much but we found a secret weapon last year on Kitchi. Before you ask; its just vertical jigging with a heavy minnow type of bait like a Castmaster. Seems to work pretty well when their not wanting to take finesse type baits. Moving slowly in 15-20' and gigging rapidly. I guess it a summer into fall transition thing before the lake turns over. And great for covering a lot of water to find the biters.

Of course, like you we've not caught many really good Pike, just a few 6-8lbs. around 32-38" and all on Cass. Only one small Muskie on Kitchie, but I'm chasing a monster there that has to go 48+" where he has teased me with follows many times all the way to the boat without hitting even with figure 8's. I hope I can outlast him before Mark gets him which he may have already done. And thanks to him for his complete C&R on Muskies to see a monster still making follows. I think and hope I may have a secret weapon for him this year also.

Our LMB fishing on Kitchie has always been great, what we do best and of course with them all CPR.

8 weeks and counting. Hope we can make a post as good as yours when we return. Stay safe all and tight lines always.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm rooting for you to have good weather with lots of bent rods Bob.

As an ex-Illinoisan you will appreciate this: Sunday on Lk Mich 6 of us went out and got some coho, Chinook, and mostly Lake Trout. My second turn at bat was the luckiest-I got a 12lb Laker. Then near the end of our trip the big excitement was about a 25lb King but my nephew's buddy lost it at boatside after a long fight. Too bad, but that left me with bragging rights for the day. I told him God will reward him for letting the "small" ones go....LOL

Best of luck on your trip my friend.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great day for you Gene. Did you guys go out on a private boat? I imagine you mostly trolled and what kind of baits, live or artificial?

I remember when Lake trout were just about gone in the 50's and I would ride the bus down to, usually Montrose harbor, and out on the long circular concrete pier to fish for jumbo Perch. Bamboo rod in close and a trolly rig to reach out. Great fun for a 10-15 YO. Alewives & Smelt were abundant & commercial Trout fishing had devastated the Lakers so Ill.,Ind.& Mich DNR's got together and planted Coho's & Chinooks and they took off with the abundant forage and a whole new sport fishing industry was created which you well know.

Michigan is again one of the premier fishing Great lakes. Glad you got the prize of the day. That whole area has also been really cleaned up with even good fishing in the Fox chain & the rivers in the area. I heard their even catching Smallies in the Chicago river....unbelievable! Again, glad you had a great day on the "big pond" Sometimes I do miss it.

Very Happy
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob, not sure how I missed answering you but we were trolling on a charter boat back on July 9.

Montrose was where my Grannie and Grandpa used to take me when I was about 7 or 8---used "peelers" and cane poles! All I remember was playing with the metal minnow bucket and being afraid to touch those crabs.

I remember way back, musta been around 1970, when the alewives all died and washed ashore.

And I remember hearing tons of stories about smelt fishing but I think that has been dead for 2 decades now I guess.

A beautiful place so close to home and I never spend much time enjoying it.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Gene and I often wonder why the Lindners don't talk about it much as they grew up on the north side. I guess it was that their family had a cabin in Wisconsin where they always went.

Heading out pretty soon for Cass/Kitchi and I'll make a report when we get back. Mark should be right behind me in October.

Not long before we can pull out the shotguns & rifles for fall. Take care all and good luck to everyone. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: