Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Report, 5/28 - 6/4, 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Report, 5/28 - 6/4, 2016 Reply with quote

Arrived at Lost Acres on Kitchi Saturday afternoon. Water temp was 66 and the warmest we saw all week. With the early Spring, weed growth was way ahead of where it has been the last few years. Caught most of our walleyes in 6-12 FOW in and around weeds using slip bobbers & leeches. After Monday, weather turned colder, windy & rainy every day. The gills and crappies moved out of the shallows for the most part and were staged in deeper water just off the weed points. Our group caught a limit of walleyes between 15-20". The 2 largest eyes were 22" and were released. We spent most of the week on Kitchi and only fished Cass Lake one day due to the wind. I thought Cass was much clearer than past years. We found some perch on a main lake sand bar but not the size as years past. Water temp was 63 on Friday when we pulled the boats. Good luck to all that are fishing the next few weeks.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eye-Doc for that update.

66 degrees? I'm bringing my swimsuit next week!

We usually try to get into Kitchi one day of our week to hunt snakers over in the SE bay/shoreline area with lots of reeds in about 4 FOW. We will throw Mepps and Daredevles (the 5 of Diamonds is a killer for us back there).

Did you see many pike or not Eye-Doc? Or was it too weedy to fish back there? (It may not be worth our long boat-ride this year it sounds like). Maybe we should concentrate extra hard on Dick's Bay?
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene
Caught lots of small pike all over. Did not fish the SE bay that much but when we did we were deeper the 4'. I do not think we boated one over 30" all week but many in the 15-25" range. All are still swimming and ready for your daredevils. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week of 6th to 10th---Wow, what a week on Cass. Out of my 20 or so years fishing in Minn. I have never caught as many Walleyes as we did this year. Between the 4 of us we boated 80 walleyes. Brought home our limit, and had our annual fish fry during the week, and still had to catch and release for the last 3 days. In comparison, last year we only boated about 23 total. A good bite and some reasonably good walleye weather was obviously the key. Had some rain and some wind but still could get out on the lake safely. This year we caught alot of 12 to 14 inchers, but still managed to boat 4 or 5 in the 23 inch range. Also caught several northerns at all different lengths. This is good news for Cass fishermen since in insures good numbers in the years to come. Was lucky enought to get into some good size crappies and bluegills in lake Kitchi on Thursday afternoon and evening. All our fishing was on slip bobbers and leaches and shiners. Only area we were short on was perch, only cleaned 10 all week and only 1 was over 10 inches. Not complaining though in was still a great week to be on the water. Speaking of the water, in was very,very clear. We were told by several locals that this was due to the Zibra mussel invasion, have to see how this effects the lake in years to come. Hope Gene is having a good week also and look forward to his post on his return.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: