Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
June 6-13, 2015

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: June 6-13, 2015 Reply with quote

OK, I know it's getting monotonous but WOW!!!

8 of us brought back limits of 6 species.
Only the elusive Crappie outfoxed us this year.

Weather and wind were exceptionally cooperative again this yr.

By Thurs and Fri it got to be almost too hot to fish and the bite slowed by then.

Last edited by gene on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Gene. Glad you guys ran into a bunch of different types of fish this year. We did well too. I'll echo your sentiment about the last 2 to 2.5 days. Got so bright and sunny (and as windless as I've seen it in years). You just rarely get 2-3 days in a row of blue-bird skies and NO WIND in Cass. At least not in early June.

I'll post a better report with pics in the next few days, but we caught quite a few walleys in the first half of the trip. Biggest problem? A lot of them were too big. Great problem to have, but it hurt what we brought home. Had three fish fries up there for four of us (mostly walleye, crappies, a few perch, and a couple pike), and brought home just short of a two person limit of walleye fillets. Caught between 6 and 8 walleyes between 21 and 24 inches. Most on muskie baits! Saw schools of walleyes on Cass (about 15 ft down) that were in the 22 to 28 inch range. No joke.

My oldest caught a 41 inch 'ski, and I lost two that same evening. One about 44 (flubbed net job) and another low 30s. (came unpinned early on). All on topwater. Several other blow-ups that evening. When the sunny/calm weather arrived, the muskies went bye-bye. Great trip anyhow. I'll throw up a few photos in a later report.

Glad everyone else seemed to do well and have good weather. I'll start my countdown to the October trip to Cass now! Smile
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene--you summed it up pretty well with "WOW" -- what a lake. Sounds like the bite was the same for all of us that week. First 70 % of the week was the best. Happy to here about MuskyMark,s oldest getting a 41 in. This was my 7th year fishing Cass. This trip sold me on the fact that with a few exceptions Allen,s Bay has all I need for my type of fishing. I caught a 22 in walleye in Dicks Bay. Several northerns, big blue gills, hearty rock bass and good size jumbo perch.Throw in the 9 1/2 and larger crappies and not even have to get on the big lake. I have fished several lakes in Minnesota, same as you guys i,m sure, but I have to say Cass is number 1 in my book. Gene, from reading your posts I,m pretty sure you spend alot of time in Allen,s Bay. Thanks Musky for the report of the school of monster walleyes just makes us look forward to next year on Cass even more. Good luck in oct.-hope you see the 44 in agan.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy, we do spend alot of time in Allen's---USUALLY!

But this year we had only ok/so-so luck there....only one good spot by some lily pads for big gills for one of our boats. We tried to party fish it but the hole was not big enough for all three of our boats at one time. We did pull some LMB out of Allen's this year too though.

We had ok luck in Dick's for LMB---but they defeated us 10-5 as we lost several on the way in. I swear from looking at the wide-open bucketmouth of the one my friend lost at boatside that it had to be over 20"! We only found a single crappie in there this year but the decent sized Gills were on the feed.

We got most of our Rockies South of the Potato Islands.
And the other half in Pike's Bay--nice sized ones this yr again.

Actually, we had alot of luck in Pike's Bay for all species but the LMB were on fire in there early in the week.

We stopped in the Turtle River but could not find Crappie-only nice Gills. And we got our usual snaker sized Pike that day out of Kitchi for half our limit. The other half of our Pike came sporadically here and there on Cass while fishing for other species....lots of decent Pike on crawlers this year---WEIRD!

Most of our walleye came off Cass in our very favorite evening (7:30-10pm) spot which we have been hitting religiously for many years now. Last year I did not catch a single walleye to contribute to our group....they have been making fun of me since-but I showed them this year as I successfully jig'n'shinerd our biggest of the week at 23"-a real beauty.
We also released alot of cigars this year which bodes well for the future. The week before my buddy was already there and he says he had never seen so many walleye in the fish cleaning house in one week before.

Our best Perch spot-we pulled them out in 3 separate trips to the same spot with alot of 11 1/2"ers-was on Cass near the Marina.

The best thing about our week was that no matter what we decided to try, we almost always hit them first time. We did not have to spend too much time scouting for them this year.
And I think another one of the best things about the week was minimal skeeters except in the fish cleaning house at night.

Here's to hoping next year is just as good----or even better!
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Coming back soon Reply with quote

Seems like all is well on Cass. We plan to return in late September. Lonnie caught a 30" walleye this spring, weighed in at 6#8oz. We never found the crappies but got a lot of other stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: