Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
6/7-14/14 trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: 6/7-14/14 trip Reply with quote

Well, it was another slaughterfest. 6 of us brought back 560 fish. We have 3 fishfrys in the planning stage already.

It was very similar to last year with the late ice out. And the weather was unusually nice all week ---for the second year in a row! Water was up kinda high but that didn't matter as everything was biting everywhere (except Crappie)...but we hadn't really tried for them though. We had one full day of rain from Wed at Noon until Thurs at 5 pm. After the Wed/Thurs rain we could not get into Pike Bay anymore as the water was too high. The rest of the week had temps of 70 and winds of 5mph everyday---perfect fishing weather.

And the bugs weren't too bad either. Mayflys were not bad and neither were the mosquitos or flys....but the skeeters out by the fish cleaning house were JUMBO skeeters. Luckily they were not in massive swarms this year.

We had phenomenal evening walleye fishing---all on jig'n'shiner--and filled our 6 limits in 2 evenings. We caught our pike almost all by accident--many on leeches too---except the last day when we made it over to Kitchi to hunt them in the morning. My nephew got a 6 lb/ 33" solid one on the 'ol bullshit bait---a spinnerbait. And we pulled out 42 perch which almost all were really nice at an average of 10 1/2" to finish the week. I never sat in one spot all day in Kitchi before and caught so many big perch..and all the while getting sunburned on top of it. I almost went skinny dipping but they had not yet secured the women and children----next year, look out!!

Bluegills were starting to fire up pretty good too by mid-week and we ran into some very nice bulls in Pike Bay and also in Allen's Bay on 2 diff days. LMB were active in both spots too. We got several in the 18"/3 lb range.

Of course we also limited out on our Rock Bass for the week with some really nice ones...and then when we were done we found the really Jumbo 3/4lb Rockies while hunting Gills (but they all had to go back for next year).

We are booked for the same week next year already and we can't wait to get back.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very enjoyable report on your week's fishing in paradise. Your luck held up for another year on the weather, and quanity of fish caught. I agree that this same week last year and this year were so comparable. Not the norm for early June fishing in Minn. Ifeel sorry for the people up at Cass this week, weather has not been kind. When your group limit out on walleye in 2 days you know the fishing is great. One question---how were the size of the walleyes this year compared to last, about the same? Enjoy your upcoming fish fries, nothing like fresh fish from the Minn waters.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 4 20" fish and the rest were 14-17" wallys which was comparable to last year. Our resort owner told us the DNR guy said the 2008 and 2011 year classes were outstanding and we can expect good fishing for them for years....too bad we don't target 'em!
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Gene for another year and a great report! Glad you will have so many dinners to eat back home. Sometimes I wish we were still in Lombard to be closer to our life lone fishing areas but it is what it is and we make the trip a part of the vacation also. Karen and I will be going to Pike Hole at the same time this year so I'm hoping some of that higher water remains until Sept.

Did you get a chance to hook up with Mark at the Hole for a BCB and a couple of brewskies? I was going to call the bar on Monday and see if you guys were there but I didn't know if and when you guys were going to be there. Maybe we'll all still meet someday.

AND a big thanks for rejuvenating my eternal interest in our trip this fall. The countdown has already begun. It'll be our 10th year to Cass/Kitchi and Pike Hole. Bob Very Happy
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I did not get a chance to visit MM as our trip to Kitchi on Fri was a last minute/"man it is so nice on Cass that we ought to take the long boat ride and see how fishing is in there" decision.

We really haven't done the group lunch thing in about 4 years or so now if I recall. Part of it is that fewer of our old internet group are there the same week and part of it is we have had such good luck in Allen's Bay (and we had one of the scariest boat rides ever back from Turtle River a few yrs ago) that my group isn't keen on making a committment for a certain lunch day especially early in the week like we used to do on Monday.

We concentrate on our lucky spots in Cass and PBay early in the week and then decide on Kitchi.

Here's hoping you and Karen have another good trip in the Fall.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My report is similar to Gene's. Weather - fantastic (heavy rain Wed p.m./Thur a.m.), Fishing - fantastic, Overall entertainment value - fantastic.

Some quick points:

Sat - Thur - Fishing mostly Kitchi, with trips to Pug Hole, Cass, Buck, Allen's Bay, and Andrusia

Walleyes - great fishing most days. Bigger average size than normal (18 - 19 inches?). Had several times with doubles on. Always around 10 ft of water. Inside turns of breaklines best. Most on nightcrawlers, a few on leeches. Released 1/2 a dozen over 20 inches. Standard lindy rig. Sinker. Leader. Hook. Air bubble in the worm. Nothing fancy.

Pike - Plentiful and willing to hit almost anything. Caught a ton. A few that were right at the 29 inch mark. Nothing over 30 though.

Rockies/Largemeouth/Perch/Gills - Caught lots of rockbass (released), perch (filleted), gills (filleted), and a few big largemouth (released). All in 10 ft or less. Weeds.

Muskies - Saw only three on the lakes I listed through Thursday. But caught the one that counts. Kitchi - fat 45 incher - on a 6 inch jerkbait over cabbage. Went to Little Wolf on Friday and raised around 10 muskies...no takers.

Boat ran good. Nobody hurt. Ate a lot of fish and brought home our limit of 'eyes. Can't wait to get back up there in the fall! Here's a couple photos...

This fish was fat and healthy but looks like it had Piscirickettsia (fish pox!). Not the first time I've seen this on muskies in Kitchi.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Mark. You guys are just about going to make me do our annual trip in the spring/early summer one of these days but we DO like the Sept. weather much better. Great Walleye and a super Muskie again. You are the Muskie Mark for sure.

It seems like what I've always believed; that if the weather does not change too much over time the fish will become accustomed to it whether fair or bad and still bite fairly well and that seemed to be the case. But it did seem to change somewhat also.

Are you going to make your trip in the fall also Mark? We usually miss you about a week when we leave around the 20th of Sept.

Always a good report from you guys so keep up the great work and hope there is fair weather for you always. Bob
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob... thanks. And yes...I do plan going back up this fall. I've missed the last few years and instead made several trips to S. Dakota and N. Dakota for pheasants, ducks, geese. Had some mix results in both states due to unusual weather and a steady decline in available public hunting ground/habitat. I really miss coming up north to MN in the fall...so I'm giving up the Dakotas this year and coming back to hunt for big fish in N. MN! We have no dates planned yet, but we're trying to go a little earlier this year (sometime in September). It's difficult to wrange a good timeslot with a few guys involved. I'm not sure where we'll stay, but we're looking at options on Cass, Little Wolf, and Plantaganet. It's all good. Very Happy

I'll keep you posted.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much Mark for the heads up. Karen and I will be at Pike Hole from late August until about mid Sept. so maybe we'll be able to catch you for a burger & brew somewhere and finally say howdy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: