Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Week of June 8th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy/Doug -

Haven't focused that much on crappies when I'm up there... though we have fished for them on occasion when the weather is nice and the walleye fishing is slow. With the late ice-out... the pattern could be tough... but we've found really good crappie fishing in/around the thickest emergent pencil reeds that are close to deep water. Just like fishing pads...you have to lob a float and crappie minnow right into the pockets. Has worked well for us in the past. Might be hard to find well defined reed points with the cold water though...

Speaking of well-defined reed points. Dogshead is/was the name of the structure surrounding the biggest point of pencil reeds on the north shore of Allan's bay. (just to the west of Break on the Lake resort and due north of the western-most potato island) Can't miss it. They come way out and have some really nice structure all around the point. Have done well with muskies and big bass around the dogshead in fall. Good luck!
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Opener Reply with quote

Didn't go for opening week, lake was still frozen. Made it the second week and got a lot of walleye and perch. not in their usual spots.
Rainy and cold for 4 days and nice for the last 3. Home again and catching up on my yard and garden.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grouch {or anyone who knows} how are the water levels on cass this spring? I AM ASSUMING THE LEVELS ARE NORMAL OR ABOVE SINCE NO ONE HAS MENTIONED LOW WATER LEVELS BEING A PROBLEM. Also are the shiners priced sky high or are they resonably priced and are they plentiful to purchase at the resorts. Thanks for any answers since I will be arriving on beautiful cass on june 7.
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Indywalleye Reply with quote

Water is higher than normal, about 10 inches. Shiners are had to find and expensive. We used fat heads and mud minnows.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the report is.............another GREAT week on Cass. As I have seen on the other thread, MM and Indy had good weeks too.

9 of us brought back 670 fish:
9 limits of rock bass (not many 3/4er lbers but very, very respectable/solid-sized ones all week),
4 1/2 doz Crappies (alot of real nice 13 1/2"ers---Dick's Bay was hot one day and they were gone the next),
4 limits of gills (we threw back many, many small ones this yr),
a little over 230 Perch,
and a dozen each of walleye, pike, and LMB.

My biggest was a 19" LMB and in my opinion it was an inch too short for me to have it mounted then.

Our group's biggest walleye was a 24"er but the rest were real respectable 15-17" eaters...I did let 4 small ones go back while perch fishing on Friday.

Sunday was rain all day so after a morning in raingear we spent all afternoon and eve drinkin in the lodge. That was it though for the bad weather as each succeeding day the weather improved and by Wed am it was very sunny and pleasant all day---almost too hot to fish---ever day! This was one of the calmest weeks in history for us. We spend most of our time in Allen's Bay. By Thurs it was so calm we didn't need an anchor. We first had a ceremony to memorialize my buddy's dad who left us last Oct. After a few celebratory shots of Scotch in his honor, we ventured out and ended up trying 10 spots. Our boat only kept 3 gills and a walleye for the day---I almost went skinny dippin'! My sis and her neighbor and I made it up to PikeHole....but no more Off-Sale of beer really made it a long ride back. We had a chance to stop and say hi to Clark then. In the meantime, our other boats hit PikeBay and got some fish but it was also "too hot to fish" in there too. But then the wind arrived on Friday and the Perch turned on bigtime for us. My boat had luck down by the Marina and our other boats did real good near the Potato Islands. A nice end to the week.

We didn't really attempt any Pike fishing and only tried our eve walleye fishing 3 times. So......we GOTTA go back---and we are already booked for next year and can't wait.

I will try to post some pics in a few days.

Junior you out there?....a Report please!!!

PS I did call Junior and MM on Thurs but no answer by either-they musta "gone fishing" then.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree... a great week on Cass…We (3 of us) were mostly Catch & Release except for a couple fish fry’s. Cass is completely different without weeds. Rock Bass were all over the place. LMB, Northern & Gill’s during the day… a very nice 18” LMB. Northern Pike on the Ultra light was very cool.. As usual, walleyes at night. Didn't try Pike Bay

I always say “let’s try another lake” but always end up at Cass…
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few pics:
My nephew and I with a few around avg size for the week:

Table full of Crappies...only 4th time in 35 yrs that we hit them.

The celebration in honor of Sven's Dad...Scotches all around:

Parties to this year's slaughter--about mid-week--- around suppertime after a great day on Cass:

IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene----those are some very decent black crappie!!! We caught about 6 or 8 crappie in the south end of pug hole, but only 1 was the size you got into. only 4 times in 35 years shows it is not easy to find crappie on cass lake. What type of presentation were you using when you found them. FROM your post I take it most were taken from the Allens bay area. Good job and thanks for the pictures.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were indded nice sized crappies all week. We got half one day in Dick's Bay on white-tail minimites under a bobber or on a small white beetle spin. Then next day we could not find them in there. The rest were sporadic here and there all week in Allen's on leeches or crawlers under bobbers.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found crappies at the very north end of Lost Lake. But not the size of Gene's... Also nice sized LMB. Was pulling in a Bluegill when a Northern hit it. Couldn't figure out what was happening until the Northern spit out the Bluegill.. That was cool....

Cass Lake area is really nice!
Junior
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Crappie Reply with quote

Gene, nice pics, glad to see you are doing well and the fishing looks good, AHHH, Mitemites!!!!

Miss all you guys and gales, but not enough to go from south to north.

Guiding and fishing is going well down here. Walleye taper off in late August until October, then we start to "spoon" for them in deep water. Trout fish, top five in the country.

Col Ron
www.colonelronguide.com
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yessir Ron, those white minimites are killers for all species.

I sent you a message with my email addy.

Glad the South is working for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: