Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
May 25-June 1 Fishing Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: May 25-June 1 Fishing Report Reply with quote

Just got back from our annual Memorial week trip. A group of 5 of us stayed at Lost Acres on Kitchi. The wind was out of the E / SE everyday at 15-20+ MPH. It made fishing a little tough. We caught a lot of nice walleyes the first few days in and around the South shore and SE bay. They kind of shut down after that. Caught fish on floating jigs tipped with leeches and crankbaits. I caught the largest walleye of the year 25 1/2", 5lbs on a shadrap at high noon (released). We also released a 22" later in the week. All others kept were between 15-20". Water temp was 56.4F on arrival and 62.8 on departure. Crappies were just coming into the shallows when we left. We only fished for panfish one day and found a few nice gills and a handful of crappies off of one bulrush point. Went to Cass Lake for the first time on Friday morning caught 5 perch before the wind blew us off. Here is a couple of pics:

Good luck and tight lines
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eye-doc good to hear you got into some decent Walleyes. Bet it was fun to land a 25 incher. Will be heading to Cass on June 7 for a week, was wondering about the availability of getting shiners at the resorts and were they very expensive. Was glad to know the crappies are hitting some. Will post report of our week when we get home. 10 day forcast on weather looks to be in our favor at this point.
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy-
We didn't use shiners so I cannot comment on their availability. We used leeches, crawlers and artificial the entire week. Good luck and have fun on your trip.
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know Crappies are there... Never had luck with Crappies or LMB... But our group will be there June 8th... Looking forward to a Pike Holer burger

Ron
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and pics eye-doc. Love the darker color of walleyes from Kitchi. Looks like you and your crew did well despite the wind.

Mark
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a terrible judge at musky size...but I did have what I would call a mid to high 40's musky follow up a crankbait in the south bay of Kitchi on Thursday...scared the crap out of me when I was looking for walleyes and this thing was just outside the boat. I guess that is the time you musky guys do your figure 8?
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical scenario up there in early June! Fishing for some other species and a nice muskie makes an appearance. It took me YEARS to figure out that if the only folks seeing or catching muskies were the ones fishing for walleyes, bass, pike, or panfish...then MAYBE I should use some of the same stuff they were using! Almost all of my muskies that I've caught on Cass/Kitchi in early June are now on small plastics or minnow/twitch baits. But I was a sloe lurner.

You're right though eye-doc. Figure 8 when the fish shows up boatside. In fact, most muskie guys now do at least a long slow "L" turn with their bait before pulling it out of the water on every cast. Others I know do one or more figure 8s at the end of EVERY cast whether or not they see a follow. I don't usually go that far...especially on the clearer waters in MN. But down here in IL (on the Fox Chain of Lakes), I throw in at least one 8 every few casts. Never know if a mildly interested fish has cruised in low and slow and out of sight. Shocked
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: report for trip 6-8-13 thru 6-15-13 cass lake Reply with quote

WOW what a great week to be on cass. Weather was great also never got too rough to go out fishing all week. FISHING was the best I have seen since I started going to Minn 28 years ago. There were 4 of us and we had our limit of walleyes in the freezer by tues night. We kept track and at weeks end had boated 56 walleyes. I had the pleasure of catching my personal best ever that was 27 1/2 inches and weighed over 6 lbs.Took pictures and released her back into cass. The perch were biting best of all and we have several dinners to look forward to over the summer. We all remarked on how clear the water was this year on cass, just beautiful.Also the sun sets were unbelievable several nights. Overall this was a week of memories on cass and I got to enjoy it with my oldest son,my grandson, and my future grandson inlaw. As you can understand, I am already looking forward to next years trip. Also wanted to mention that we stay at the Horseshoe Resort{run by Clark] and I highly recommend you look at staying there if you are looking for a top notch fishing camp.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will also vouch for that report. My dad, my two boys, and I had enough for 3 fish fries by Tuesday. Enough to bring our limits home by Wednesday. Were releasing walleyes by Thursday morning and just had them casting for bass, pike and muskies.

Didn't boat a muskie this trip but had follows from 9 or 10 fish (on Kitchi, Cass, Andrusia, and Little Wolf). LOTS of pike. Some pretty fat/nice ones (up to 32 inches). Pics to follow. Great trip. Unbeliveably nice weather. From Indy're report... sounds like there was a lot of good fishing last week.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Musky----Glad to hear you had a good time on cass chain of lakes last week also. I beleive we passed each other on the mississippi about midweek around 1 pm. My son{43] and myself[63] were going from andrusia to cass and passed a boat with 4 men heading to andrusia. The younger man up front said HELLO and was casting towards the weed line. After we passed my son said he thought the driver of the boat was Musky Mark from the posts he has seen on this sight. If it was your group you looked happy and were very friendly. We were in a white Lund alaskan from the Horseshoe resort. We had a relaxing week on cass since 90% of all our walleyes were caught on bobber, a #6 red hook, and leech or shiner. Leeches were the best bait all week for us.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Indy. Sorry for the slow response. Been getting caught up with work for the last couple weeks.

I do remember you guys then. Went by us where the Miss narrows and makes a slow curve (with rocks on the east side of the bank)? I was in the green/tan Lund. I remember thinking that was a nice resort boat/great motor. A Honda or a Yamaha I think?

If so, then it was nice seeing you and your son. We had a great day that day. Kids caught fish in Andrusia (mostly pike). I saw a few muskies. On our way back, I went into the shallow water and sand so the kids could swim in front of Buck lake.

Glad to hear you guys did well too. We don't fish with floats much, but I remember thinking we should have tried that more this year. Especially when we trolled over a couple spots and had doubles on. Would have been smart to anchor up wind and toss out some crawlers or leeches. Next year maybe!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: