Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Week of June 8th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grouch--Indiana has some of the biggest night crawlers around - but I was under the assumption that crawlers and leeches worked best after the lake water warmed up alittle. But knowing you fish Cass alot during opener and early spring will cause me to use crawler during my week at Cass. Do you mostly troll with a crawler harness? Hope you dont mind my asking but any tips on crawler presentation in early spring would be appreciated. Also do you fish Andrusia much for walleye in early spring.Hope the ice is out and you catch your share during opener week!
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Crawlers Reply with quote

Mostly on a jig. We do fish Andrusia early season because it is a smaller lake and it's water temp is up before Cass. Also like to fish Pike bay when I can get under the railroad brigde.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be up there the week of June 8th too. With my dad and my two boys. Would be interested in a lunch on Monday if it all works out.

Should be an interesting year up there. They've had some good snow up there this year. Some higher water wouldn't be a bad thing. (or a later ice-out). Have had some of our better trips with those conditions.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuskyMark--where will you be staying --if I remember your earlier posts you fish alot on Kitchi dont you? Also interested if anyone has had much luck fishing for walleyes in Pug Hole in early June{if so what location and presentation would be interesting} Only about 37 days away from fishing paradise--cant wait!
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy - We always stay at the Pike Hole. The location is just too ideal to go elsewhere (for us at least).

Kitchi is usually a better early season lake than Cass. (May/June) Shallower. Darker water and lake bottom. Earlier weed growth. Closer to spawning territory. With that said...regardless of the water temps, we've NEVER gotten steady action on Pug Hole. I'm sure some have... but we have not figured it out. Pick up a few here and there. Can catch more than a couple if it's warm and the wind has been blowing on Turtle bar for a couple days. But in June, we never have found a hot bite there. Plenty of pike to go around though!
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early season in Pug Hole suggestion:
Sleep in and instead fish off the PikeHole docks in the river at 1am with jig or crankbait or Mepps Spinner-size 3.

(We have heard Shiners will be really hard to come by this year in early June----something about a change in netting rules and so the baitshops won't have them around Cass)
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:00 AM is going to be tough this year. New Moon on June 8th.
But... night fishing is the best for Walters.... Junior
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you're out fishing during the major moon-phases. (moon-rise/moon-set) We've actually had better night fishing for muskies under the new moon. It's harder for us to see what's going on... but that doesn't seem to bother the fish!

I saw a pic of Kitchi last week. The ice was gone in the Turtle river... but part of Pug Hole and all of Kitchi still were pretty locked up. Saw a pic from Kitchi this weekend. What a difference in a few days! It was a photo of a plane picking up water on the fly to put out a fire in Pennington. The lake is wide-open now! Will be interesting to hear how the crazy warm weather on tap for the next few days (for all the upper midwest) will impact the fishing.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Normally I am a full moon night fisherman... Like to see what is going on... Being up there the week of June 8th, guess I will try what really night fishing is all about
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
I'll be at Kitchi for the week of Memorial Day and will give you a full report. I fully expect a cold water walleye bite where leeches hanging under a slip bobber on the West side may be effective:)
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question from the worst Walleye fisherman on the chain;

Would anybody think that with cold water temps. and cold weather, some if not quite a few Walleyes, that do not go up a river or creek to spawn, just might still be in the main lake shallows at least for a little while more? Just wondering. At any rate, good luck to all the Cass lake crazies who love the early season fishing. Bob
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking Bob. That's where I'll be starting when we get there. Start shallow (weedy flats around 8-10 ft)... then start slowly moving out if we don't find them there. They're getting some really nice weather up there lately... so I'm guessing water temps will be low 60s by the time we get up there. (I hope)

Might be a tough bite for muskies... but maybe some bigger pike will still be accessible with cooler water temps.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mark and good luck. Also, I've had good luck later in the fall for nice Pike on those humps just outside Buck lake in about 10-15' of water. Have fun and stay safe.
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking for the opening day report from Grouch. Not seeing one unless I missed something. So how did it go?
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: june 8th coming soon Reply with quote

Been quiet lately. how about some water temps and fishing updates? A couple questions for the group....with the late ice out and spring, any suggestions as to crappie locates on cass and andrusia. we have found em around some lily pads in the past with warmer water temps, but will be hoping to get into some good numbers on this trip.
second, water level updates? alot of rain here lately and the late ice out, what are the conditions?
last, where is the dogshead? ive heard of it, but have never fished it. if you don't want to answer on the site, feel free to email me at douglas.schmidtII@comcast.com. thanks for any insight-12 days and counting. travel safe and see you on the water
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: