Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Report from week of June 9th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Report from week of June 9th Reply with quote

Recap of June 9th trip.

Weather: Crazy... as usual. Started hot, then got really windy, gray, rainy, and pretty cool, then turned sunny and almost dead-calm the last day. Go figure. Was pretty hard keeping a boat on structure or a good drift for most of the week.

Walleyes/Perch/Crappies: We did ok. Caught enough for a few fish fries. Brought some fillets home. Not our possession limit.. but who cares. Heard some fish were still in shallow weeds (10 fow or less)... but we were targeting deeper with crawlers and leeches. Caught most of Ďem in the 14 to 16 ft range. But did get into a nice bunch in 20 to 22í. Pretty scattered. Heaviest schools seemed to be off of any type of turn or point on the breakline or reef. So thatís where we focused. Caught a few crappies in shallower... but I think theyíd moved out deep by the time we got up there. Caught some nice rockies among the walleyes as well. (released)

Pike/Bass: As usual... EVERYWHERE. At least the pike. My son must have caught at least 75 for the week. Counted one stretch where he caught pike on 4 consecutive casts. Mostly snakes... but a few that were between 25 and 29 inches. He had a great time with them! Shallow and Deep. Weeds or over deeper water. Canít believe how many there are in that system. Though I did have a fish (guessing a big pike or muskie) grab a hold of pike I had on. Swam with him for a minute or two before he let go. Wish I coulda caught that bad boy! Only caught a couple bucket-mouths this year... but we didnít fish much for them. Weeds were growing a lot further out than in previous years. Choked off some of our better bass spots. And the wind made it hard to fish our typical bass baits (scum frogs, plastics, etc)

Muskie: Another slow year. Only saw 3 confirmed fish. A possible 4th. One of the three was a shorty that chased a bucktail in Kitchi. Another was a TANK that cruised by the boat in deep water off a reed point in Andrusia. The 43 I caught hammered a jackpot (topwater) after sunset on Kitchi. (on Thursday when the winds suddenly laid down and the clouds cleared out) One of the hardest fighting muskies Iíve ever caught.

Locations: We fished Kitchi (both sections) heavily due to the long, steady high winds. Got caught out on Cass Thursday morning when the winds really picked up. We were the only boat I could see on the whole north half and got POUNDED coming in (gusty SE wind). That lake can get scary in a hurry. On a couple calmer days, we fished Buck Lake, the whole east side of Andrusia, Allens Bay (the islands, Egg, Dogs Head, Boomerang, etc), Cass (Turtle, Buck, Horseshoe, and Wishbone bars). I think we caught walleye and pike on pretty much ALL of these structures. But we did best on Kitchi. Probably because we were there the most. Easiest with the wind. Also frequented Kitchi Landing and the trusty Pike Hole bar. Everyone seems to be doing well in there!!

Another great trip for the books. Hereís a few photo highlights.

[img][/img]
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark-
Great report and glad you guys got into some good multi-species action.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice report Mark and good documentation. Nice Eye your boy is holding. Your Dad looks good and so does your boat, nice Lund. Best of all you proved once again you are the "Muskie Mark". Nice fish! Top water in the late evening, gotta remember that but things really DO change with the seasons. All in all it sounds like a pretty darn good trip. Well done. Maybe we'll catch you in the fall somewhere on the chain. Bob
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Mark, really happy to see that it is being past down from generation to generation. Also, you are in my favorite boat!!!

Great fishing to you,
Col Ron
BlueDuck
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics MM and a very detailed and informative report. Glad to
hear you had a good trip overall.

Blue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: