Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Blow the dust off the Boat...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Blow the dust off the Boat... Reply with quote

Realized I have a little window in my schedule this weekend (and the warm weather in the forecast)... so it's time to make the trip out to Sycamore and pull the boat out of storage. Will drag it over to Bob's Marine in DeKalb for them to check it out... and hopefully I'll be dropping it in a local puddle in the area in the next week or two for the maiden voyage of 2011!

Anyone else get out or wet a line yet? Last I heard from a buddy up in N. WI... they still had 18 inches of ice on the lakes. But warmer weather is on the way up there too... so that should knock it down a little. Guessing the ice is pretty thick up in Cass too... based on some pictures I saw from Tom @ pikehole recently. Can't be long now though... Cool
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys in my fishing club hit the Ill river last week. They had a heck of a trip. Lots of white bass, a bunch of sauger, and then for fun, some carp fishing. Biggest carp was a 32 lb. At times they had multiple carp on at one time.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our way to get revved up for our trip was having a Cass fishfry.
Last Sat my sis had a party and I did the deep-fryin'. She had two deep-fryers setup in the garage and I cooked 100 fish from last June for a group of 40.
And you know what everyone raved about?
The Rockies!!!!!

Next week we have an "open-up-the-trailer work-week" scheduled to paint and rake leaves at my sis's campground trailer. But if it gets warm and dry, I just may have to charge up the trolling motor battery and give a few hotspots a try for some early season crappies. Last year they were tough to find for me so I'm thinkin' they have had a year to grow even bigger and just might be hungry enough to swallow a jig with a waxie danglng under a good ole' red and white bobber.

Let the season begin!

PS Don't forget to get your new license.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go. That proves it!!!!! Enough hot sauce, and a ton of beer and you can eat just about anything, even rock ass
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You went 1 for 2 Ff....
hot sauce--no
beer-- yes
You just ain'ta gonna give in on the Rockies, are ya?
But methinks you are a closet Rockie fan if ya know bout hot sauce!

And just how does a "B"ear fan forget to type the B anyway?
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Typo Reply with quote

The typo is absolutely correct! Although for eating, RB beats carp any day, any way you cook it.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of eating fish other than perch and walleye, on another site, some guy posted he caught shad and eats them. I never heard of that before, how about you guys?
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Wild Eating Reply with quote

I've seen guys eat fresh caught Smelt whole and un-cooked. Of course, it was on the Chicago lakefront and alchol had a lot to do with it.
Just remember the old adage - You are what you eat!
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About that time again, eh guys? Been a while since I've paid a visit here as well.

It's Mar. 20th... and I'm one of the few boat owners I know that is still holding out on getting the boat out of winter storage. Going to see if it warms up again next week and then I might pull the trigger. Anyone else out there give in yet?

Mark
eye-doc
Spinner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The warm weather has made great fishing on Pool 8-9. I took the boat out last week for the first time and managed to catch a limit of perch. Walleyes should start going crazy in a week or two....tightlines!
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muskie fishing has been tough around here. Some guys have gone 3 or 4 times and not seen a fish. Shallow or deep. They all must be suspicious of this weather like we are! Crazy.

I think a little cool down, some wind and some rain will actually help mix up the water and get things going. Too many temperature extremes right now.

But I still am itching to get the boat out...
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, when you gonna be on Cass?
We had to delay our trip one week to June 16.
Go get 'em on the Chain befor then!
Gene
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gene. We'll be up the normal week. 9th -16th. Really curious to see how this warm weather/early ice-out is going to impact the fishing. Unless it completely reverses, I think we'll be in the middle of the mayflies... but the flipside of that is the walleye's should have moved out of the weeds and are on the "deeper" breaks. The last few years of catching them in anywhere between 6 and 14 ft of water on Kitchi has been tough. Too scattered in the weeds. Had better luck when they're consistently on the breaklines (14 to 20 ft) But that's just me. And better yet (hopefully), the muskies should be well out of prespawn and might actually be more active around the opener. Keeping my fingers crossed. Weather's gonna do what the weather's gonna do...
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked today's MODIS satellite image. Looks like today is the first day that Kitchi is mostly ice-free (open on the south, some dark ice on the north). Cass also has a lot of dark ice and appears to be breaking up. Same with Lake Bemidji.

Amazing to think of there being open-water up there before March closes out. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: