Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Spearing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Spearing Reply with quote

Last I heard, they just ok'ed spearing on Cass. That can't be good
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard about that too ff. There's been a long ongoing debate over lifting the 20 plus year old spearing ban on Cass. But sounds like some legislation got rammed thru without continued public debate. Some back-alley politics. So now this pretty much leaves a really bad taste in the mouths of people who believed the ban helped make Cass one of the best TROPHY pike lakes in MN. The way this was done DEFINITELY eliminates any chance most non-spearer types have of accepting this policy change as anything other than negative.

I disagree with the removal of the spearing ban on Cass. I believe this will be the beginning of the slow-decline of trophy class pike on Cass. Some big muskies will get taken too. (accidentally). I don't have a problem with spearing itself. There are lots of lakes that have TONS of small pike that would be fun to spear. But Cass is oustanding in the large pike category... and all this will do is dramatically accelerate the rate in which trophy pike are removed from the water without the possibility of "catch and release". I think this is the only reason the Darkhouse spearers focused on removing the ban from Cass. A better chance of spearing a big fish. That's great. That's their right. But I guess this means that Cass is no longer valued as a trophy pike fishery. Too bad.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I can see a real down turn in quailty fishing. I used to know a native from up there, he told me many years ago when he was younger they found a stream that fed in Cass/Pike. He said in the early spring it was loaded with HUGE northerns, mating. Him and his buddies would go and spear these fish in a couple of feet of water. Him and his buddies did this year after year, after year etc. He then told me one day, they could not figure out why there are no big Northerns coming into that stream anymore, DUH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: