Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
Rocks on chain/Cass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Rocks on chain/Cass Reply with quote

Hey guys/gals, can anyone point me in the direction of where you have found rocks or rock outcroppings in the chain, especially on Cass lake? Not looking to impede on Gene's or anyones rockies(bass) but its usually a good place to hunt Muskies at certain times also. Thanks much for any info and we'll see you on the water somewhere.......soon. Very Happy
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best way I have found them is with my prop.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll work for me Ffish. I always have a spare with me. Laughing
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rock pile I knowabout is near the Dam. If you look at a map there is an underwater point, about 400 yards out from shore. We have found a nice rock pile there.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch ffishman. I think that is where Gene usually gets into some rockies when he's up on the north shore. I have found Muskies in places like that (moving water in rocks) or close to river inlets or outlets on my home lake here in Utah and that close to the dam it just might prove good. Anyone else, Fishing Hotspots map is vague on rocks?
MuskyMark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on the rocks for 'skis Bob! Esp. as the summer wears on. Rocks can be hot. I always get excited when we stumble/drift over some rocks on Cass that aren't marked on the map.

I know about ff's rock spot. There's also a big and surprisingly shallow rock pile in Kitchi. Saw a muskie on it last fall when I was up there. Had our best walleye outing of the year on the dropoff located on the west side of this bar this spring as well. Hard to miss too. I'll look at my maps this week and try to msg you the location of a couple rock piles on Cass/Allen's Bay/Kitchi.

Mark
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, and why you ARE the "Muskie" Mark. Looking forward to your message and thanks much. Wish we could hook up for some Muskie hunting sometime but we're just doing different times. Frank agrees with me on your handle (MM). Here in Ut. I just might be "Tiger Bob" Laughing
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Bob, never been by the Dam in our 30+ yrs.
We get those Rockies near the reeds mostly in Allen's Bay or up near the Narrows or S of....can't advertise it 'cause my buddy would kill me. But you can email me if you want tips on catching those, how did someone refer to them, Bait stealers?

Anyway, as to rocks, I can't help you much on those either.
I think once we ran into some shallow near the W side of the W Potato Island...prob too shallow for a Cass Tiger though.

Best of luck as always.

BTW, we left plenty of LMB for you to chase.

PS Had another Cass Rockie din-din last weekend. YUM!
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Gene, you are surely the "other" (Rock) bass man and why you are still having some for dinner right now and probably will all winter! I will never ask somebody to give up their favorite fishing spots and Karen and I thank you for not keeping too many LMB so we can CPR many this year and to insure the fishing for the future as MM does with the toothy critters. We usually catch a few Rock Bass on both Wishbone bars while Muskie hunting.

As I told Mark it would be great for the three of us to wet a line together and share a brew at Pike Hole but the circumstances just are not there. So we'll share here with fishing stories. How about some pictures from this year? Or were you too busy catching all those Rockies? Laughing Anyways, stay cool and maybe we'll meet in person some day. Bob
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a group fishing excursion would be really cool Bob. Maybe someday the stars will align for that.

I will gladly share spots with you offline Bob. But I really don't think they'd be productive in your timeline at Cass....worth a try though. But you do ok as it is...and from the pics you've posted, so does your lovely bride....gotta let her beat you sometimes so she keeps letting you bring her back each yr.

I'll try to get pics up this week. They'll be boring though....bucket full of the usual..Rockies, Perch, Gillies...
and maybe I have my nephew with his 10 1/2"er Gill.

Hey, I just might try this weekend at my sis's campground place for some really delectable gillies....SWEET MEAT!!!!!

You know, me and my buddy remember growing up on the Chain in ILL when just gettin' one bite was an exciting trip to remember. But now we know, and are thankful, that God has blessed us with our success.....keeps us coming back. I am lucky to have a love just for being outdoors. The last few weeks in Chi-town it has been sweltering and I always say "I'd rather it be 100 than -0- any day.

So enjoy the outdoors while we can is our mantra.
(That's why I never get po'd about mosquitoe bites)
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you're fishing locally Gene. As I understand Illinois has come a long way fron the early days of my fishing the Fox river, the chain of lakes and off the rocks at the Chicago lakefront. Glad you're still at it when you can't be "up North".

I do not have to "let" my wife best me at fishing, she is awful good at that on her own. Good teacher I guess. Laughing

Still trying to boat my first Muskie on Cass/Kitchi although I hooked one off a pier at Pike Hole but could not land it. He rolled right at the pier, so I could see his markings, and was gone. What I deserve for using Bass gear! Confused

So take care Gene and thanks always for your great posts. Hope all is well with you and stay well and stay safe in beautiful Elmhurst. Bob
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene is right about the Rock Bass.. Our group usually goes up Fathers day week but this year we went the 2nd week of July.. The Rock Bass were not in the June spots.. We caught fewer, but bigger, Rock Bass in July
Junior
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remind her Bob that you are her "teacher".

I really don't know what to say about you chasin' muskies..that is MM's expertise....but you Musky guye are a diff breed for sure.

I decided not to go to my sis's place this weekend to chase gillies 'cause the forecast was 70% chance of t-storms and at $4/gal just to get there, I'm a cheapskate.

Pics on their way in a few days...........
Col Ron, Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, giant boulders on the eastern side of the second island if I remember correctly, directly across from "Dogs Head". I paid dearly one year, cost me a lower unit on the big motor. And yes, I was fishing for Muskies right above them.

Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: