Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
License availability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: License availability Reply with quote

Hey guys, nobody has mentioned about the state government being shutdown due to budget constraints and I understand most of the DNR personnel is laid off, so how is it for getting a fishing license if license vendors cannot get them?

Our trip is coming up so what have most of you done?

Thanks, we're really looking forward to our annual trip to Cass/Kitchi and some great fishing. Very Happy
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: License Reply with quote

Check to see if you can get them online.
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into this on the other forum Confused I found this:

"Well I called a local baitshop to see how they were handling the issue. They indicated they were writing "permission slips" indicating that you tried to buy your license and that the game wardens would at worst case write you a warning ticket"

Can anybody confirm this at all? It seems like a fair alternative.

And this:

"I would not cancel the trip over it. I live, work and fish in the area. The local enforcement guys, both state and Federal, understand that the licensing issue is not your fault and are going heavy on the education, light on the enforcement.I have not heard of any non resident getting cited for no license. Hope this helps"

Thanks again for any info, Bob
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grouch, its already mentioned that the online buying is shut down and has been since the gov. shutdown. AND, its not going to matter for us. We're heading up anyways.......and fishing too. We'll see what happens. Never been stopped by a C.O. on Cass or Kitchi yet in many years but thats probably because we obey all fishing regs. accurately.........so far Wink
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Here is a link to a story in the Startribune from July 5th
http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/125047264.html

Clark
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us who will be heading to Minnesota for the greatest fishing in the world and still wondering whats up with fishing licenses: I received this from Sue:

To: Cass Lake Area Chamber of Commerce
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2011 12:51 PM
Subject: DNR Recommendation Regarding Fishing Licenses

I spoke with a representative from the DNR this morning regarding Fishing Licenses. He told me that the DNR would probably issue a warning to those who are fishing without a license, taking down their information. When the state opens back up they would then be responsible for purchasing a license. The DNR would follow up with those issued warnings at that time to insure they purchase the appropriate license. This will be the information I relay to people who call me regarding this issue.

Hope this helps all of you. If the DNR changes what they are going to do I will notify you accordingly.

Sue Schafroth

Director

Cass Lake Area Chamber of Commerce

PO Box 548, 105 US Hwy 2

Cass Lake, MN 56633

Office: 1-800-356-8615 or 218-335-2250

Cell Phone 218-407-0691

Email: info@casslake.com

And a big thanks for all that responded. I guess we'll see what the case is when we get there. Bob
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
A couple of emails from the Bemidji chamber in the past two days;
July 13

Ok to Fish!
It is our understanding that if the county boat & water enforcement as well as conservation officers have the need to check a license and the angler is not able to produce one due to the electronic licensing system being shut down, they may document the contact and then follow-up to ensure a license has been purchased after the fact. For those individuals who want to fish and were unable to buy a license and were not checked during the shutdown, the idea is that they will also purchase a license after the fact when the state system is back up and running. Similar to an 'honor system."

July 14

The Chamber understood the issue to purchase your license when you can was acceptable. The State has posted a statement that it is not promoting to purchase "after the fact" when Government reopens. In the case whether to fish or not - the chamber is not promoting any stance one way or the other on the issue.

The 6:00 news said the State has reached an agreement to settle the shut down, still has to be voted on. We should know in a few days if this is agreed upon or not. Who knows how long it will take to get everthing back up and running if and when the state gets back to work. I will post again when my license machine is up and runnung.

Clark
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks much Clark for the continueing inputs. Also, it looks like today, the Minnesota congress just might have reached a compromise that WILL be approved. That would really help the PEOPLE of Minnesota and us out of state fishermen and vacationers enjoy everything thats good about a most beautiful state. Here's hoping it works for the good of all.
I love the smell of Muskie in the morning. Very Happy

And just maybe the national congress will be listening. Rolling Eyes
Clark
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

License machines are up and running since about 2:00pm today but the DNR offices in St Paul are not answering the phones if there is a problem.

Clark
Bob Thompson
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clark, I've been following the state problem online at St. Paul Tribune and it made Fox news also. The problems with the budget seem solved but it looks like there will be sacrifices some people and agencies will have to make. DNR looks like it will not see any reductions in funding. Thats good at least for stocking purposes.

Hoping all the resorts and others depending on revenue from tourism can take a breath of relief. Carry on all. Again with added enthusiasm looking forward to our trip "up north" Very Happy Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: