Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index  
Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts
Fishing Reports, Tips, Resorts and Classifieds
  |Search |Usergroups  |Register 
6/11 -- today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: 6/11 -- today Reply with quote

It's been windy the last two days and today it's raining all day so I have a chance to report

Panfish are on fire in the reeds...we have 6 limits of Rockies and almost 6 limits of big/bull Blue Gills...18 walleye, 9 LMB, 40 perch, and 9 small pike.

Now it's on to Perching and then Pike and maybe Musky.
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Genes fishing Reply with quote

Way to go Gene. I'm glad you're having a great time.
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grouch.

We finished up great.

Added 11 more LMB, finished our Gills (my nephew got a 10 1/2"er that is going on the wall), hit Kitchi for Pike but they were really small this year but did find a new Gillie spot in there and a Gillie spot on the way out in the Turtle River , ended with 24 Walters (2 hit 19 1/2, several 17's, many 15's, and some cigars for dinner)--my best yr for size personally...I just might have the jigging touch now after trying for 30+ yrs, and we got into Perch B...er, Pike Bay, to almost finish our Perch limit--but we did have to lower our standards to 8+ but also got many in the 11"+ range.

This year we were lucky in finding several new spots that produced...places we hadn't had luck in the past.
It's the weather and water temp for sure in my opinion.

Water was high and weeds were low/not grown up yet.
Air temps stayed near 70 but it was a windy week...mostly from S/SE but late in the week calmer from the N.

Didn't get to PHole though, so maybe next year.

We work hard, but also know to thank the Good Lord for our luck too. And happy to make a safe trip back (saw a bad accident in WI on the "divided" highway). That really sets you back to reality and how safety is much more valued than any amount of fish.

Best of luck to all.
IndyWalleye
Spinner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: cass Lake report wk of 6/11 Reply with quote

Wow do i love fishing Cass. This year we had 4 fishing out of a 18ft lund. No problem when we were bobber fishing, but trolling was to much to handle. Over all we were happy with the final result considering We boated 31 walleyes of which we kept 24. Caught more pike than any year before. Perch werepretty active {none over 11 inches},and as usual, we caught our share of rockies. Caught 90% of our walleye after 6pm. Bait of choice on bobber was leeches,with crawler harness when we trolled the few times. We had one at 21 in and the 18 yr old rookie caught a 20 incher.(walleye) Was very happy to see a strong 2 and 3 year walleye abundance, looks good for the next few years. All of our wallys were caught in 15 ft or less. Bluegills were not where we found them before and we only boated about 6 to 8 keepers.We stayed at the "shoe" and could not have been happier with the service,equipment, and assistance from Clark and the dock guys. GENE-sure g;lad to see you caught your share of assorted fish.Also did you see the pike hole changed there hours--dont open till 5pm on mon and tues and weds. Did stop in on thurs and have a cold one and a burger for lunch while fishing pug hole for panfish. BYE the way was that accident on east bound 9o/94 around black falls--we were almost in it.Car left the roadway and yanked back across traffic and hit guardrail head-on(missed us by 5 ft) We had to stop at next exit to quit shaking) Hope no one was hurt seriously,but hit the rail hard. Anyone going to Cass in next few weeks should have a good time fishing in my opinion.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gene, sounds like you had a great time, and caught a ton of fish, good for you. I wish I was there. As you know, Pike's Bay is my favorite place to fish. Can I give you a word of advice? If you want big perch there, you have to change your way of fishing. You have to go to the big, open water. Some of the biggest perch we've caught there were in the middle of the lake on shallow bars, of 12-18 feet, next to deep water drop offs. I've have caught nice perch in as shallow as 7', but my biggest ones come in deep water. So, stay away from the shallow water weeds, and go deep, that is where the big fish play.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene... with the high water, how much clearance did you have going from Cass to Pike Bay?
Junior
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior,
we had 8" of clearance over the motor cowling...water was pretty high and we all had to duck into the bottom of the boat.
My friend has an Alumacraft with a big motor on it and he also just made it in/under.
By the time you get there, it just might go down some.

Ff,
we like the reeds for LMB too...not just for Perch or Rockies.
junior
BaitCaster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....

We booked the week of July 9th because of the work schedules of our group.... but now I am thinking it might too hot for fishing...

Junior
gene
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've said in the past:
-first 10 yrs at Opener---cold/wet/jig'n'minnow for walleye and pike and perch....keep the furnace running
-next 10 yrs at Memorial Day -- warmer/wet/jig'n'minnow for walleye and pike and perch...we used the furnace at night alot
-latest 10 yrs after school lets out --- much nicer weather and we HAMMER all species, except Crappie, with live bait under bobbers or using a jig'n'shiner for walleye in the eves and we do some casting of lures too....windows open all day and night.

I have spent at least 3 of my Cass trips way back about 20 yrs ago in Summer/July....I will NEVER try that again.
Here's hoping you have better luck than we did in Summer.
ffishman
Master Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also used to go earlier, the end of May. Like gene said, still too cold. We pushed back to the second week of June, and for the most part, we always had decent weather. Not all the time mind you, but decent for the most part.
Grouch
Angler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Months and Weather Reply with quote

I've fished Cass in May thru October. In the hotter months we would fish very early and very late. On the water at first light and back in by 9. A late breakfast and sometimes a trip to town or a long nap. Early dinner and back out till 10 or 11, some-times later. Always caught fish and went home satisfied.
Never been disappointed by the fishing at Cass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Minnesota Fishing and Minnesota Resorts Forum Index -> Cass Lake Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: